all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Initial variables value?
@ 2019-05-19  6:36 Adam Mazurkiewicz
From: Adam Mazurkiewicz @ 2019-05-19  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

How to watch the initial variables values? There are some important
variables used in config.scm file. What would be the recommended way
to extract eg the variable of %desktop-services ? And where are they
declared?

* Re: Initial variables value?
@ 2019-05-19  8:05 ` Julien Lepiller
       [not found]   ` <CALStFoEnAT=kxjbqkFXHckgE_2zpFQL6zzcFMFTB=RUjzT_0ZQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-05-19  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Adam Mazurkiewicz

Le 19 mai 2019 08:36:27 GMT+02:00, Adam Mazurkiewicz <trzczy@gmail.com> a écrit :
>How to watch the initial variables values? There are some important
>variables used in config.scm file. What would be the recommended way
>to extract eg the variable of %desktop-services ? And where are they
>declared?

Hi,

There are different ways to find these values. You can grep through the code from https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git for the web version). You can also run `guix repl` and type the variable name (you might need to import some modules before, I didn't check). Most of the time however, these variables are explained in the manual.

For %desktop-services, the actual definition is around here: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n1047

For default values of records, you'll have look at the code or the manual. Services are defined in gnu/services/*.scm.

* Re: Initial variables value?
@ 2019-05-19 14:44   ` Ludovic Courtès
       [not found]   ` <CALStFoEnAT=kxjbqkFXHckgE_2zpFQL6zzcFMFTB=RUjzT_0ZQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-05-19 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> There are different ways to find these values. You can grep through the code from https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git for the web version). You can also run `guix repl` and type the variable name (you might need to import some modules before, I didn't check). Most of the time however, these variables are explained in the manual.
>
> For %desktop-services, the actual definition is around here: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n1047
>
> For default values of records, you'll have look at the code or the manual. Services are defined in gnu/services/*.scm.

If you use Emacs and Emacs-Guix, you can also run:

  M-x guix-default-services

which is really handy.

Another trick is to run:

  guix system extension-graph /path/to/your/config.scm | dot -Tpdf > t.pdf
  evince t.pdf

to view the “service extension graph” for your OS configuration.  That
should give you an idea of what’s included and how these bits interact
with one another.

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Fwd: Initial variables value?
       [not found]   ` <CALStFoEnAT=kxjbqkFXHckgE_2zpFQL6zzcFMFTB=RUjzT_0ZQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-05-22 13:04     ` Adam Mazurkiewicz
From: Adam Mazurkiewicz @ 2019-05-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

niedz., 19 maj 2019 o 10:05 Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> napisał(a):

> Le 19 mai 2019 08:36:27 GMT+02:00, Adam Mazurkiewicz <trzczy@gmail.com> a écrit :
> >How to watch the initial variables values? There are some important
> >variables used in config.scm file. What would be the recommended way
> >to extract eg the variable of %desktop-services ? And where are they
> >declared?
>
> Hi,
>
> There are different ways to find these values. You can grep through the code from https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git for the web version). You can also run `guix repl` and type the variable name (you might need to import some modules before, I didn't check). Most of the time however, these variables are explained in the manual.
I tried the advise to use `guix repl` and type the variable name, but
it displayed nothing so it apparently needs to import the modules
before.

> For %desktop-services, the actual definition is around here: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n1047
It is a good advise. Thanks

> For default values of records, you'll have look at the code or the manual. Services are defined in gnu/services/*.scm.
Thanks for your answer, Julien
Regards

* Re: Initial variables value?
@ 2019-05-22 13:07     ` Adam Mazurkiewicz
From: Adam Mazurkiewicz @ 2019-05-22 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

niedz., 19 maj 2019 o 16:45 Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> napisał(a):

> Hi,
>
> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:
>
> > There are different ways to find these values. You can grep through the code from https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git for the web version). You can also run `guix repl` and type the variable name (you might need to import some modules before, I didn't check). Most of the time however, these variables are explained in the manual.
> >
> > For %desktop-services, the actual definition is around here: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/desktop.scm#n1047
> >
> > For default values of records, you'll have look at the code or the manual. Services are defined in gnu/services/*.scm.
>
> If you use Emacs and Emacs-Guix, you can also run:
>
>   M-x guix-default-services
Yes, it worked, thanks.

> which is really handy.
>
> Another trick is to run:
>
>   guix system extension-graph /path/to/your/config.scm | dot -Tpdf > t.pdf
>   evince t.pdf
>
> to view the “service extension graph” for your OS configuration.  That
> should give you an idea of what’s included and how these bits interact
> with one another.
Good advise, thanks a lot.

> HTH!
>
> Ludo’.