all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-03 14:35 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-03 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi!

I would like to declare ‘core-updates’ frozen in 1 or 2 days so we can
have Hydra build it all and merge it afterwards.

Thoughts?

If there’s a big update you’d like to make (Python anyone?), now is
the time!

Ludo’.

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-03 16:25 ` Ricardo Wurmus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-01-03 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to declare ‘core-updates’ frozen in 1 or 2 days so we can
> have Hydra build it all and merge it afterwards.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> If there’s a big update you’d like to make (Python anyone?), now is
> the time!

Will this include the patches to make gtk respect the GUIX_GTK{2,3}_PATH
variables?

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-03 22:27   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-03 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I would like to declare ‘core-updates’ frozen in 1 or 2 days so we can
>> have Hydra build it all and merge it afterwards.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> If there’s a big update you’d like to make (Python anyone?), now is
>> the time!
>
> Will this include the patches to make gtk respect the GUIX_GTK{2,3}_PATH
> variables?

I thought this branch had been built by Hydra and was ready to merge in
master, no?  Mark?

  http://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/gtk-path-patch

@ 2016-01-04  0:59 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2016-01-04  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to declare ‘core-updates’ frozen in 1 or 2 days so we can
> have Hydra build it all and merge it afterwards.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> If there’s a big update you’d like to make (Python anyone?), now is
> the time!

I don't have the time to do it, but if anyone would like to bump Ruby
to 2.3.0 and keep the 2.2.4 version hanging around in another variable
like the other old versions, that would be cool. :)

Thanks,

- Dave

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-04  1:17   ` Ben Woodcroft
From: Ben Woodcroft @ 2016-01-04  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On 04/01/16 10:59, Thompson, David wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I would like to declare ‘core-updates’ frozen in 1 or 2 days so we can
>> have Hydra build it all and merge it afterwards.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> If there’s a big update you’d like to make (Python anyone?), now is
>> the time!
> I don't have the time to do it, but if anyone would like to bump Ruby
> to 2.3.0 and keep the 2.2.4 version hanging around in another variable
> like the other old versions, that would be cool. :)
I'm on it, draft patch done, rebuilding dependencies now.

ben

* Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-04  8:35 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-01-04  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo, Guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to declare ‘core-updates’ frozen in 1 or 2 days so we can
> have Hydra build it all and merge it afterwards.
>
> Thoughts?

What do you think of moving 'broken-tarball-fetch' from
gnu/packages/engineering.scm to an utility library?

Fede

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-04 11:02 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-01-04 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 15:35:40 +0100
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to declare ‘core-updates’ frozen in 1 or 2 days so we can
> have Hydra build it all and merge it afterwards.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> If there’s a big update you’d like to make (Python anyone?), now is
> the time!
>
> Ludo’.

On the python front, I count python, python2 and python-setuptools.

On the `guix refresh -t gnu` front, I see gnutls, libgpg-error, libtasn1,
libgcrypt and gettext

Also on the "massive rebuild list," off the top of my head, is tzdata

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-04 14:20     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2016-01-04 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I would like to declare ‘core-updates’ frozen in 1 or 2 days so we can
>>> have Hydra build it all and merge it afterwards.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> If there’s a big update you’d like to make (Python anyone?), now is
>>> the time!
>>
>> Will this include the patches to make gtk respect the GUIX_GTK{2,3}_PATH
>> variables?
>
> I thought this branch had been built by Hydra and was ready to merge in
> master, no?  Mark?
>
>   http://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/gtk-path-patch

Yes, it's ready to merge.

      Mark

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-04 15:13   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-04 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> On the python front, I count python, python2 and python-setuptools.

OK.

> On the `guix refresh -t gnu` front, I see gnutls, libgpg-error, libtasn1,
> libgcrypt and gettext
>
> Also on the "massive rebuild list," off the top of my head, is tzdata

I see.

Could you look into it, starting with the GNU updates?  Once you’re
done, we’ll ask Hydra to rebuild the branch (changes to core-updates do
not automatically trigger Hydra, to reduce load.)

TIA!  :-)

@ 2016-01-04 15:21     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2016-01-04 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 16:13:59 +0100
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:
>
> > On the python front, I count python, python2 and python-setuptools.
>
> OK.
>
> > On the `guix refresh -t gnu` front, I see gnutls, libgpg-error, libtasn1,
> > libgcrypt and gettext
> >
> > Also on the "massive rebuild list," off the top of my head, is tzdata
>
> I see.
>
> Could you look into it, starting with the GNU updates?  Once you’re
> done, we’ll ask Hydra to rebuild the branch (changes to core-updates do
> not automatically trigger Hydra, to reduce load.)
>
> TIA!  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

Sure. I'm currently rebuilding to "mc" after updating tzdata (since my
country can't get our timezones set more than a few months in advance...),
but then I'll get right on the gnu ones.

By comparison, the python set "only" has a rebuild cost of ~750 packages.

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-04 16:08 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-04 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

> What do you think of moving 'broken-tarball-fetch' from
> gnu/packages/engineering.scm to an utility library?

What about moving it to (guix packages), probably under the name
‘url-fetch/tarbomb’ to clarify the intent?

This can be done in master; no rebuild involved.

Thanks,

@ 2016-01-04 21:16       ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2016-01-04 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>>> Will this include the patches to make gtk respect the GUIX_GTK{2,3}_PATH
>>> variables?
>>
>> I thought this branch had been built by Hydra and was ready to merge in
>> master, no?  Mark?
>>
>>   http://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/gtk-path-patch
>
> Yes, it's ready to merge.

I went ahead and cherry-picked the two patches to master.

     Mark

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-04 22:49         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-04 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:
>
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> skribis:

>>> I thought this branch had been built by Hydra and was ready to merge in
>>> master, no?  Mark?
>>>
>>>   http://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/gtk-path-patch
>>
>> Yes, it's ready to merge.
>
> I went ahead and cherry-picked the two patches to master.

Thank you!

@ 2016-01-05 13:22   ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2016-01-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:
>
>> What do you think of moving 'broken-tarball-fetch' from
>> gnu/packages/engineering.scm to an utility library?
>
> What about moving it to (guix packages), probably under the name
> ‘url-fetch/tarbomb’ to clarify the intent?
>
> This can be done in master; no rebuild involved.

OK, thanks. Will do it.

Fede

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-13 17:48 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hydra will start building all of ‘core-updates’ soon.  Hopefully we can
merge in a few days.

@ 2016-01-14 20:10   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2016-01-14 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On core-updates, automake failed its test suite on both x86_64 and i686,
leading to over 2000 dependency failures.

  http://hydra.gnu.org/build/943102
  http://hydra.gnu.org/build/944447

      Mark

* Re: Freezing core-updates soon
@ 2016-01-15 16:13     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-01-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> On core-updates, automake failed its test suite on both x86_64 and i686,
> leading to over 2000 dependency failures.
>
>   http://hydra.gnu.org/build/943102
>   http://hydra.gnu.org/build/944447

Fixed in 89b4823, thanks!

Ludo’.