all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* in a vm
@ 2017-04-07  9:17 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-04-07  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

trying to use a vm with

./pre-inst-env guix system vm gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl

From a branch in which I'm working on some packages

When I launch the vm, the packages are not there

guix package --list-available | grep my-package

returns nothing

On the host  built them and linted them with

./pre-inst-env guix build/lint my-package

from within the same branch, of course

What am I missing ?

* Re: in a vm
@ 2017-04-08  2:36 ` Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2017-04-08  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 11:17:19 +0200
Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> trying to use a vm with
>
> ./pre-inst-env guix system vm gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl
>
> From a branch in which I'm working on some packages
>
> When I launch the vm, the packages are not there
>
> guix package --list-available | grep my-package
>
> returns nothing

Within the VM, the guix that is being used is Guix's "guix" package
(gnu/packages/package-management.scm), which will not have any knowledge
of your packages or any other modifications in your git branch.

One thing you could do is add your packages to the vm config's
"package" field so that they are installed system-wide in the VM.

Another, untested, idea might be to map your git checkout into your
vm user's ~/.config/guix/latest

`~Eric

* Re: in a vm
@ 2017-04-08 12:18   ` Catonano