all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#39650: wish: search shows whether a package is installed
@ 2020-02-17 22:15 Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2020-02-17 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 39650

Hi,

It would be great if `guix search TERMS` could show for each record
whether the package is installed and which versions are installed.

I regularly search for a library and then check with guix package -I
whether I already have it, and that’s quite inconvenient.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

* bug#39650: wish: search shows whether a package is installed
@ 2020-02-17 22:33 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-02-17 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Babenhauserheide; +Cc: 39650

Hi Arne,

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 at 23:16, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@web.de> wrote:

> It would be great if `guix search TERMS` could show for each record
> whether the package is installed and which versions are installed.

I agree.
Say if it is already in '/gnu/store' is often helpful.

And "guix search" should even provide in which profile it is already installed
(maybe even in which generation of which profile it is already)

> I regularly search for a library and then check with guix package -I
> whether I already have it, and that’s quite inconvenient.

In the meantime, something along these lines should do the trick...

for profile in $(guix package --list-profiles)
do
    echo $profile
    guix package -p $profile -I | grep <pkg>
done

and it is not convenient, I agree. :-)

All the best,
simon

* bug#39650: wish: search shows whether a package is installed
@ 2024-04-02 20:33 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2024-04-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 39650

Hi,

FYI, I just filed bug#70153, which is related, about the "guix show" /
"guix package --show" command.

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70153

--Adam