all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 5c8369d6c1 gnu: Add python2-twodict ?
@ 2021-06-28 14:23 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-06-28 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, Guix Devel

Hi,

What is this point of the commit:

   5c8369d6c1 gnu: Add python2-twodict.

?  The package is used by youtube-dl-gui for updating it at 0.4.  I
guess this package is Python 2 only, correct?

(Note the commit message seems wrong, IIRC.)

Python 2 is EOL since a long time now and the last commit of the
package youtube-dl-gui is from 2018 and the release 0.4 from 2017.
Well, I do not know if it is worth to update such package. :-)

I propose to deprecate this package because it will be removed soon or later.

WDYT?

All the best,
simon

* Re: 5c8369d6c1 gnu: Add python2-twodict ?
@ 2021-06-28 19:07 ` Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2021-06-28 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Guix Devel

Hi Zimoun!
> What is this point of the commit:
>
>     5c8369d6c1 gnu: Add python2-twodict.
>
> ?  The package is used by youtube-dl-gui for updating it at 0.4.  I

Yes, its for youtube-dl-gui.

> guess this package is Python 2 only, correct?

TwoDict is can be used with either python 2 or 3.

> (Note the commit message seems wrong, IIRC.)

I packaged twodict both as python-twodict and python2-twodict. Thought I
only wanted the latter, I did the former to make it available in guix.

> Python 2 is EOL since a long time now

Ah I see. I didn't know that.

> package youtube-dl-gui is from 2018 and the release 0.4 from 2017.
> Well, I do not know if it is worth to update such package. :-)

I first thought the same, but it seems the app is feature complete and
no additional changes.

That said, considering deprecation of python2 by python upstream, this
package should have been ported to python3.

> I propose to deprecate this package because it will be removed soon or later.
Yeah, since python2 is deprecated. We could deprecate youtube-dl-gui.
Should we do this is as a batch, removing all python2 packages?

Regards,
RG.

* Re: 5c8369d6c1 gnu: Add python2-twodict ?
@ 2021-06-29  4:04   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-06-29  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hello Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan <rg@raghavgururajan.name> writes:

[...]

>> Python 2 is EOL since a long time now
>
> Ah I see. I didn't know that.
>
>> package youtube-dl-gui is from 2018 and the release 0.4 from 2017.
>> Well, I do not know if it is worth to update such package. :-)
>
> I first thought the same, but it seems the app is feature complete and
> no additional changes.
>
> That said, considering deprecation of python2 by python upstream, this
> package should have been ported to python3.
>
>> I propose to deprecate this package because it will be removed soon or later.
> Yeah, since python2 is deprecated. We could deprecate
> youtube-dl-gui. Should we do this is as a batch, removing all python2
> packages?

Perhaps youtube-dl-gui could be removed along the python2 *leaf*
packages that are orphaned as a result.

The consensus for Python 2 packages is that they have to go, but that
it's OK for their removal to be gradual.  They tend to break because
upstream often stops supporting Python 2 and can thus be phased out
naturally when it happens this way.

It's a good exercise to try to "free" important packages from any Python
2 appearing in their closure.

Thanks,

Maxim

* Re: 5c8369d6c1 gnu: Add python2-twodict ?
@ 2021-06-29  9:00     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-06-29  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Guix Devel, Raghav Gururajan

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 at 06:04, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Raghav Gururajan <rg@raghavgururajan.name> writes:

> >> Python 2 is EOL since a long time now
> >
> > Ah I see. I didn't know that.

Quoting Python Foundation: <<We have decided that January 1, 2020, was
the day that we sunset Python 2.>>

For reference: <https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/>.

> >> I propose to deprecate this package because it will be removed soon or later.
> >
> > Yeah, since python2 is deprecated. We could deprecate
> > youtube-dl-gui. Should we do this is as a batch, removing all python2
> > packages?
>
> Perhaps youtube-dl-gui could be removed along the python2 *leaf*
> packages that are orphaned as a result.

This package youtube-dl-gui seems a good candidate for the channel
guix-past [1].  WDYT?

1: <https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-past>

All the best,
simon