all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GRUB fallback on boot failure
@ 2023-05-27 22:51 Nathan Dehnel
From: Nathan Dehnel @ 2023-05-27 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Is it possible in guix to try to boot the latest generation and then
go down the list of previous generations and try to boot them until
one of them works? My understanding is this is done by adding the
following to /etc/default/grub:

export GRUB_FALLBACK="1 2...{number of entries}"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

* Re: GRUB fallback on boot failure
@ 2023-05-29 23:29 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2023-05-29 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Dehnel; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Nathan,

On Sat, May 27, 2023 at 3:52 PM Nathan Dehnel <ncdehnel@gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding is this is done by adding the
> following to /etc/default/grub:
>
> export GRUB_FALLBACK="1 2...{number of entries}"
> GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
> GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

I believe it will work, but booting older GRUB entries in Guix comes
with a distinct inconvenience. To my knowledge, it is difficult to
tell in which iteration you are once you have booted.

Ideally, you would merely "roll back" to the system iteration you
identified as stable. Then the generation that 'guix system
list-generations' shows as (current) corresponds to the system you are
in, and grub.cfg will be rewritten to put that iteration on top. In
that workflow, there is no need to touch the default.

Personally, I think it's easier to maintain (and update) but please
feel free to experiment to find out what works best for you.

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: GRUB fallback on boot failure
@ 2023-05-30  0:02   ` Nathan Dehnel
From: Nathan Dehnel @ 2023-05-30  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner; +Cc: help-guix

>I believe it will work
The problem is I didn't see any documented way to write verbatim to
/etc/default/grub from the service, so I'm wondering if I need to
write a feature request

>Ideally, you would merely "roll back" to the system iteration you
identified as stable. Then the generation that 'guix system
list-generations' shows as (current) corresponds to the system you are
in, and grub.cfg will be rewritten to put that iteration on top. In
that workflow, there is no need to touch the default.
Is it possible to do this without user interaction in the event of a
failure to boot?