all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Specify swap partition by UUID
@ 2019-07-13  5:21 Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2019-07-13  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I recently discovered my current guixsd system does not use my swap
device, which is a separate drive. I want to specify a UUID. How might
I accomplish this? I do not want to be too adventurous in case I break
something and lose everything.

I tried the following to no avail:
;;;UUID string of swap device
(define swap-uuid ...)
 (swap-devices (list (uuid swap-uuid)))

It complained that it did not get a string.

 (swap-devices (list swap-uuid))

It complained about my swap-uuid not being a file or directory.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jesse

* Re: Specify swap partition by UUID
@ 2019-07-15  6:45 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-07-15  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. júl. 13.,
Szo, 5:21):

> I recently discovered my current guixsd system does not use my swap
> device, which is a separate drive. I want to specify a UUID. How might
> I accomplish this? I do not want to be too adventurous in case I break
> something and lose everything.

This currently does not work. You can specify a device, but it is not ideal.
I also tried to used the devmapper by-uuid symlinks, but at the time of
swap activation these are not available yet.

There is two to go about this, one would be to read the swap uuids directly,
and that would be preferred, or modify swap activation to come after the
by-uuid links are available, that would be easier. I believe on the long run
the device specification code in different parts of the config should be as
unified as possible.

I tried the following to no avail:
> ;;;UUID string of swap device
> (define swap-uuid ...)
>  (swap-devices (list (uuid swap-uuid)))
>
> It complained that it did not get a string.
>
>  (swap-devices (list swap-uuid))
>
> It complained about my swap-uuid not being a file or directory.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -Jesse
>
> Best regards,
g_bor

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21