all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [video repo] when making videos inside container images break
@ 2019-03-03  2:59 Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-03  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel, help-guix

Hi!

I am testing the videos to go on adding them to the videos repo, but I
am facing an issue that does not happen in my local private repo or
machine.
Even though I add images embedded and not linked to inkscape, when I
create a video inside the container, instead of showing the picture it
says "linked image not found" Do you have any idea why this is
happening?

Thank you :)
Laura

* Re: [video repo] when making videos inside container images break
@ 2019-03-03 15:06 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-03-03 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

Hello,

2019. márc. 3., V 4:00 dátummal Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com>
ezt írta:

> Hi!
>
> I am testing the videos to go on adding them to the videos repo, but I
> am facing an issue that does not happen in my local private repo or
> machine.
> Even though I add images embedded and not linked to inkscape, when I
> create a video inside the container, instead of showing the picture it
> says "linked image not found" Do you have any idea why this is
> happening?

No idea yet. I will have a closer look later. One idea would be to check if
the inkscape conversion fails, or the next step, so that we can narrow the
problem to a single program. Also, do you get any suspicious looking log?

@ 2019-03-03 16:19   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-03 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

Hi!

> No idea yet. I will have a closer look later. One idea would be to check if the inkscape conversion fails, or the next step, so that we can narrow the problem to a single program. Also, do you get any suspicious looking log?
I am browsing the internet to see if there is a solution. Hope it is
not an inkscape bug. Shall I upload the help video all the same?

Regards :)

@ 2019-03-03 17:12     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-03 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

Sorry, I realized that the second part of the packaging video has the
same issue.
May I upload the pictures in a separate directory inside the videos
facing this issue, so that people can have them if they want to, and
it to the README (ie: 03-help and 04-packaging2 are facing issues with
embedded images, they are stored temporarily in an image subdir until
the bug is solved).
WDTY?

* Re: [video repo] when making videos inside container images break
@ 2019-03-03 18:44       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-03-03 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019.
márc. 3., V, 18:13):

> Sorry, I realized that the second part of the packaging video has the
> same issue.
> May I upload the pictures in a separate directory inside the videos
> facing this issue, so that people can have them if they want to, and
> it to the README (ie: 03-help and 04-packaging2 are facing issues with
> embedded images, they are stored temporarily in an image subdir until
> the bug is solved).
> WDTY?

You can go ahead with that. I am busy here tracing down this bug.
I got strace for both of inside and outside the container, and it seems
that in the container the wrong pixbuf loader is picked up, namely xmp
instead of png.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: [video repo] when making videos inside container images break
@ 2019-03-03 19:09         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-03 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

> You can go ahead with that. I am busy here tracing down this bug.
> I got strace for both of inside and outside the container, and it seems
> that in the container the wrong pixbuf loader is picked up, namely xmp
> instead of png.
Sorry, so if you make the video "the hard way" -video by video and
gluing-, the issue disappears? it has to do with the cointainer then?

@ 2019-03-03 19:30           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-03-03 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019.
márc. 3., V, 20:09):

> > You can go ahead with that. I am busy here tracing down this bug.
> > I got strace for both of inside and outside the container, and it seems
> > that in the container the wrong pixbuf loader is picked up, namely xmp
> > instead of png.
> Sorry, so if you make the video "the hard way" -video by video and
> gluing-, the issue disappears? it has to do with the cointainer then?

Yes, the container misses cairo. Could you try adding at, and see if
the problem persists?

How did I found it? (for myself and for future reference)

I identified that the problem is that the container misses something.
All work fine, if you don't specify the -C option.

Then the hard thing was to find out, what that something was.

I straced the thing in the container, and also did that with the working one,
outside the container.

The svg file was opened quite at the end, and I looked at the trace
from that point on.
It turned out that the image is tried to be opened as xpm... not as
png, as it should be.

Then I looked at the inkscape source, for quite a while...
The good thing to search for turned out to be Inkscape::Pixbuf, which
lead me to find that
inkscape uses cairo in concert with pixbuf.

Then I looked around the package definition of inkscape, where I found
no sign of cairo...

I tried adding it to the container, and it seems to be working fine here.

> > Best regards,
> > g_bor

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: [video repo] when making videos inside container images break
@ 2019-03-03 23:39             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-03 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

Hi!

> I tried adding it to the container, and it seems to be working fine here.
I've been working on the wrong file (the environment.sh) and could not
get why it still didn't work. Fixed the script and now will be pushing
the remaining videos.
Thanks for the explanation :)

Regards

@ 2019-03-06  6:43             ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-03-06  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 20:30:51 +0100
Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then I looked around the package definition of inkscape, where I found
> no sign of cairo...
>
> I tried adding it to the container, and it seems to be working fine
> here.

Hi Gábor,

thank you for that analysis! Do you think it would make sense to add
cairo as as inputs or propagated-inputs for inkscape?

Björn

* Re: [video repo] when making videos inside container images break
@ 2019-03-06  7:19               ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-03-06  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, help-guix

Hello Björn,

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta (időpont:
2019. márc. 6., Sze, 7:44):

> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 20:30:51 +0100
> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Then I looked around the package definition of inkscape, where I found
> > no sign of cairo...
> >
> > I tried adding it to the container, and it seems to be working fine
> > here.
>
> Hi Gábor,
>
> thank you for that analysis! Do you think it would make sense to add
> cairo as as inputs or propagated-inputs for inkscape?

I don't know. Most of the functionality seems to be intact when it is missing.
However it would be nice to at least notify the user about the missing cairo,
and that it might break image funtionality. I am not in general very statisfied
when a program just picks up its runtime dependencies from whatever
environment it is run... but I feel it's not going to change soon.

Is there any way how we could extend a guix package receipe to list at least
the well-known optional runtime dependencies, and to describe what funtionality
do they add to a program, so the user could select what to install alongside?

> Björn

Best regards,
g_bor