all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* texlive-build-system: phase `build' failed
@ 2018-05-28 16:25 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-28 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

I'm working on a bunch of TeXlive packages and I keep running into a few
issues.

1. Does anyone know how to search for the path of a package in TeXlive's
tree without checking out the whole SVN repo?
http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/tags/texlive-2017.1/ is not so convenient
to browse.

2. Are the package dependencies documented?  For instance
https://www.ctan.org/pkg/needspace requires microtype to build properly,
but that does not seem to be mentioned anywhere on CTAN.

3. The most important issue: I can't get "texlive-build-system" to work.
For instance:

(define-public texlive-latex-microtype
  (package
    (name "texlive-latex-microtype")
    (version (number->string %texlive-revision))
    (source (origin
              (method svn-fetch)
              (uri (texlive-ref "latex" "microtype"))
              (file-name (string-append name "-" version "-checkout"))
              (sha256
               (base32
                "1dwhlxy35bydlljb40ck6d5j93gd4889hpr4j3x8vqhl46k3lfph"))))
    (build-system texlive-build-system)
    (arguments '(#:tex-directory "latex/microtype"))
    (home-page "https://www.ctan.org/pkg/microtype")
    (synopsis "Subliminal refinements towards typographical perfection")
    (description
     "Foo")
    (license license:lppl1.3c+)))

fails with

[...]
starting phase `build'
This is LuaTeX, Version 1.0.4 (TeX Live 2017)
 restricted system commands enabled.
phase `build' failed after 1.7 seconds
[...]

And nothing else.  Looking at
`/tmp/guix-build-texlive-latex-microtype-44591.drv-1/source/build/microtype.log`
it seems that everything went fine.

Any clue what I'm missing?  Otherwise I'll dig deeper in the definition
of texlive-build-system.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: texlive-build-system: phase `build' failed
@ 2018-05-28 16:58 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-05-28 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi Pierre,

> I'm working on a bunch of TeXlive packages and I keep running into a few
> issues.

Thank you for giving this a try!  Working on TeXlive packages has been
the most frustrating experience for me.

> 1. Does anyone know how to search for the path of a package in TeXlive's
> tree without checking out the whole SVN repo?
> http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/tags/texlive-2017.1/ is not so convenient
> to browse.

I actually downloaded the whole SVN repository.  It is not organised in
a consistent way, so it’s difficult to find the correct directory in all
cases.

> 2. Are the package dependencies documented?  For instance
> https://www.ctan.org/pkg/needspace requires microtype to build properly,
> but that does not seem to be mentioned anywhere on CTAN.

Sometimes they are documented.  Often they are not.  If the importer
(which would check https://ctan.org/xml/1.2/pkg/needspace) doesn’t show
you anything, then this information can only be inferred from the .ins
files.

> [...]
> starting phase `build'
> This is LuaTeX, Version 1.0.4 (TeX Live 2017)
>  restricted system commands enabled.
> phase `build' failed after 1.7 seconds
> [...]

If you want to get more verbose output you need to override
“"-interaction=batchmode"” with “"-interaction=nonstopmode"” in
“compile-with-latex” in “(guix build texlive-build-system)”.

Unfortunately, there is no convenient switch in the
texlive-build-system to control this.  Changing the texlive-build-system
requires a rebuild of *all* these packages, but usually this doesn’t
take a long time.

--
Ricardo

* Re: texlive-build-system: phase `build' failed
@ 2018-05-28 18:14   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-05-28 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix