all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Gábor Boskovits" <boskovits@gmail.com>
To: Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com>
Cc: Guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Call for project proposals: Guix and Outreachy
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 07:52:24 +0100	[thread overview]

> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 5. explore orchestration in guix - I think Chris could be interested in
> > this, and I am also willing to help.
> > 6. explore provisioning in guix - provisioning from cloud provides
> > essentially boils down to talking to apis, but I would be really
> interested
> > in provisioning bare metal. This is thightly related to orchestration.
>
> I am interested in these things, but I am not sure it would be a good
> intern project.  Maybe I'm just being sheepish, but since we don't even
> have consensus yet on a design for this, I worry that it might not be
> fair to ask an intern to take this on at this time.
>
> > 9. get guix publish to work on some solution, that allows us to share
> > pre-built packages outside our local network - I have a feeling that this
> > could speed up development on core-updates and feature branches.
>
> I know you meant GNUnet, but what about publication over mDNS?  That
> would be super nice, but I don't know how complicated it would be.

There was some idea that this could also be done using ipfs. Actually this
was just an idea, that would be nice to have, and I think I am open to
suggestions how this should work. It turned out on the guix event, that
we already have a working solution, we might have more knowhow lingering...
I do not feel that I could mentor this though.