all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de>
To: Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Call for project proposals: Guix and Outreachy
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 03:01:56 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:53:37PM +0100, Alex Sassmannshausen wrote:
> A second step might be a simplified Guile build system, which does not
> rely on autotools infrastructure.  I believe this was discussed in the
> past: it would be a "beginners build system" for *Guile only* packages
> for quick and easy sharing in the Guix community.

By beginners build system, do you mean a Guix build system that just
copies the modules directory and compiles?

Forgive my ignorance as someone who has no deep understanding of
Guile/Guix, but I think it would be better if even simple Guile only
packages used a build system like Meson or Autotools.  Even Guile only
packages should not need Guix or manual copying.  The syntax of
Autotools is too complicated IMHO, but using a general purpose build
system like Meson for simple C projects is no more work than listing
the source files and data files like pkg-config and this should apply
to Guile projects as well.

That said, a beginners Guix build system for pure Guile projects is
done much more easily than making simple general purpose build systems
support Guile.  I’d like to take a look at Meson support for Guile and
Guile implementations of Ninja and Meson, but I probably can’t/won’t
commit the time…  Well maybe…

Regards,
Florian