all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Missing native-search-path for texlive
@ 2015-11-26  1:41 Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2015-11-26  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

Yesterday, I try to use compile some document with context, so I
install texlive in guix. However, when I run "context --version", I
get the following error:

mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

After doing some searching, I find out that the following works:

$ TEXMF=`guix build texlive-texmf` context --version

What should I add to native-search-path to set the TEXMF variable to
the output path?

Cheers,
Alex

* Re: Missing native-search-path for texlive
@ 2015-11-30 13:07 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-11-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: guix-devel

Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> skribis:

> Yesterday, I try to use compile some document with context, so I
> install texlive in guix. However, when I run "context --version", I
> get the following error:
>
> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>
> After doing some searching, I find out that the following works:
>
> $ TEXMF=`guix build texlive-texmf` context --version
>
> What should I add to native-search-path to set the TEXMF variable to
> the output path?

It ‘TEXMF’ really a search path, or is it rather a variable that should
point to a single directory?

If the issue is limited to the ‘context’ program, then we may be better
off wrapping ‘context’ such that ‘TEXMF’ is always set appropriately.

Thoughts?  Andreas?

Ludo’.

* Re: Missing native-search-path for texlive
@ 2015-11-30 13:30   ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2015-11-30 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 30/11/2015, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> Yesterday, I try to use compile some document with context, so I
>> install texlive in guix. However, when I run "context --version", I
>> get the following error:
>>
>> mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
>>
>> After doing some searching, I find out that the following works:
>>
>> $ TEXMF=`guix build texlive-texmf` context --version
>>
>> What should I add to native-search-path to set the TEXMF variable to
>> the output path?
>
> It ‘TEXMF’ really a search path, or is it rather a variable that should
> point to a single directory?

I think it is a search path since both
`TEXMF=/gnu/store/gb4y83bvcpkvdmz0dvi9rp507kbdbr5x-texlive-texmf-2015
context --version` and
`TEXMF=/gnu/store/gb4y83bvcpkvdmz0dvi9rp507kbdbr5x-texlive-texmf-2015/share
context --version` works. But otherwise, I don't know how environment
variables in texlive works. I see there are other environmental
variables as well. For instance, TEXINPUTS, TEXMFLOCAL and TEXMFHOME.
But only TEXMF and TEXMFHOME works.

@ 2015-11-30 14:20   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-11-30 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 02:07:00PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> It ‘TEXMF’ really a search path, or is it rather a variable that should
> point to a single directory?

It is a variable that works like a search path, but with a special syntax:
/gnu/store/gb4y83bvcpkvdmz0dvi9rp507kbdbr5x-texlive-texmf-2015/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
contains a line
TEXMF = {$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFDIST}

The context binary itself is the following shell script:
#!/gnu/store/ibpm6n6706yimzr3967krkxi2ibxq5yh-bash-4.3.39/bin/bash
export TEXMFCNF="/gnu/store/gb4y83bvcpkvdmz0dvi9rp507kbdbr5x-texlive-texmf-2015/share/texmf-dist/web2c"
exec -a "$0" "/gnu/store/i11ykp24wbgq2lfz7gcz2v0f5h3sg7dg-texlive-bin-2015/share/texmf-dist/scripts/context/stubs/unix/context" "$@"

The variable TEXMFCNF gives the directory where texmf.cnf is to be found;
this configuration file contains the definition of TEXMF (composed of the
other variables). So one would expect the wrapper to be already in place,
provided by texlive.

The call in the last line is to the following shell script:
#!/gnu/store/311nvir0pz1mhf0mgsmfrw00qfj7yq0j-bash-4.3.39/bin/sh
mtxrun --script context "$@"

"mtxrun" is the following shell script:
#!/gnu/store/ibpm6n6706yimzr3967krkxi2ibxq5yh-bash-4.3.39/bin/bash
export TEXMFCNF="/gnu/store/gb4y83bvcpkvdmz0dvi9rp507kbdbr5x-texlive-texmf-2015/share/texmf-dist/web2c"
exec -a "$0" "/gnu/store/i11ykp24wbgq2lfz7gcz2v0f5h3sg7dg-texlive-bin-2015/bin/mtxrun" "$@"

Again, this is a wrapper setting TEXMFCNF.
The mtxrun binary is a lua script.

The following lines in the script could be of interest:
resolvers.criticalvars=allocate { "SELFAUTOLOC","SELFAUTODIR","SELFAUTOPARENT","TEXMFCNF","TEXMF","TEXOS" }
resolvers.luacnfname="texmfcnf.lua"

I suppose that the normal behaviour will then be to look for the file
texmfcnf.lua in the directory given by TEXMFCNF, set by the wrapper scripts.
This file seems to be a lua script that is equivalent to texmf.cnf.
We modify texmf.cnf to point to the correct directories, using a single
substitute:
              (substitute* texmfcnf
                (("TEXMFROOT = \\$SELFAUTOPARENT")
                (string-append "TEXMFROOT = " share)))
which results in the line
TEXMFROOT = /gnu/store/gb4y83bvcpkvdmz0dvi9rp507kbdbr5x-texlive-texmf-2015/share
All further variables depend on TEXMFROOT.

So we should probably also modify texmfcnf.lua in a similar way.
Unfortunately, it contains a lot of selfautoparent and selfautodir;
we should replace them all at the same time.

I can propose a patch later.

Andreas

* Re: Missing native-search-path for texlive
@ 2015-11-30 16:37     ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2015-11-30 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

> I can propose a patch later.

Thanks for your help!

@ 2015-12-30 10:32     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-12-30 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 03:20:06PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> So we should probably also modify texmfcnf.lua in a similar way.

Done in commit f95dad899b9c2aeec22a7000ec693fe6dff3b3c5.
"context --version" still fails, now with the unique error message:
   mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

Indeed none of these two files exist in our texlive tree.
Do you have any ideas?

Andreas