all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Every Reconfigure of Guix Home Results in "Connection Refused"
       [not found] <1123284880.1454447.1684007715377.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2023-05-13 19:55 ` Jaft
From: Jaft @ 2023-05-13 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaft via

Playing around with Guix Home and have, more or less:

> (use-modules (gnu  home)
>              (gnu  home     services)
>              (gnu  home     services   mcron)
>              (gnu  home     services   pm)
>              (gnu  home     services   shells)
>              (gnu  packages)
>              (gnu  packages gnome)
>              (gnu  packages monitoring)
>              (gnu  services)
>              (guix gexp))
>
> (home-environment
>   ;; Below is the list of packages that will show up in your
>   ;; Home profile, under ~/.guix-home/profile.
>   (packages (list batsignal))
>
>   ;; Below is the list of Home services.  To search for available
>   ;; services, run 'guix home search KEYWORD' in a terminal.
>   (services (list (simple-service 'some-useful-env-vars-service
>                           home-environment-variables-service-type
>                           '(("QT_QPA_PLATFORM" . "wayland;xcb")
>                                     ("GDK_BACKEND"     . "wayland,x11")))
>                   (service        home-bash-service-type
>                                   (home-bash-configuration
>                                     …))
>                   (simple-service 'pull
>                                   home-mcron-service-type
>                                   ;; Every day at 2 P. M.
>                                   (list #~(job '(next-hour '(14)) "guix pull"))))))

Without the =mcron= service, running ~guix home reconfigure~ works fine.

But the second I add the service, every reconfigure results in "error: connect: /run/user/1000/shepherd/socket: Connection refused". I get a similar behavior if I try to use =home-batsignal-service-type=.

Would anyone know the cause for this?

Additionally, =batsignal= doesn't seem to be ending up in my path; do I have to add "~/.guix-home/profile/bin/" to my path manually? I would've expected Guix Home to take care of that, for me, automatically.

* Re: Every Reconfigure of Guix Home Results in "Connection Refused"
@ 2023-05-29 13:25   ` David Conner
From: David Conner @ 2023-05-29 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaft; +Cc: Jaft via

Sorry for the duplicate messages. I'm still getting Gnus configured and
getting used to everything. I didn't realize there was a difference
between a reply and a followup.

Did you ever resolve this?

I think I may be getting a similar error as you, but I'm not running
Guix Home yet.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2023-05/msg00201.html

I've attached strace logs in the issue I submitted.

I'm not sure how you would get logging for Shepherd from within Guix
Home. You could isolate things and test launching Shepherd by writing an
=init.scm= and trying to start the services manually, but to do so,
you'd have to create a Guix Profile with the binaries required for
launching Shepehrd.

I'm starting shepherd from inside .xsession and testing it with:

=shepherd -s test.sock -c test.scm -l test.log --pid=test.pid=

I can usually get the =mcron= service to start. Really, I think I can
get a single service to start, but if I try to load anything more than
that, I'm getting:

#f "Attempt to suspend fiber within continuation barrier" () #f

As part of moving towards Guix Home, I created a system definition for
wayland/sway, but even there, I was getting the error. And now think
about it, I'm running the =/run/current-ssytem/profile/bin/shepherd=
binary, so maybe if I bundle this in with a user profile, it will work.

--
David Conner

* Re: Every Reconfigure of Guix Home Results in "Connection Refused"
@ 2023-06-03 21:17     ` Jaft
From: Jaft @ 2023-06-03 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Conner; +Cc: Jaft via

 Hey, David.
I'm not sure that your issue is the same of mine. Mine seemed to be a socket issue specifically related to Shepard (which, I suppose, makes sense as I was trying to start services).
Mine went away when I restarted my computer; I could've sworn I did a guix pull before trying to reconfigure my Guix Home but maybe I hadn't and that was related; I'm not sure. Either way, it hasn't reoccurred since restarting (the services don't seem to get updated on any second reconfigure and require me to restart the computer to take effect but I think that's an unrelated situation to the one I originally reported and probably more of an inquery question for me to ask).
Sorry I can't be more helpful; I hope you're able to resolve it!
Granted, I am running GuixSD and not just Guix on a foreign distro (I'm not sure which of those you are doing) so what we require may be different, to solve the same issue. I can't say that I've ever had to start Shepard, myself, and that'd probably be the first place I'd look, in trying to pin down what's wrong. I'm pretty certain both your system config.scm and your Guix Home configuration should take care of connecting any services you define to Shepard when you reconfigure them without you having to manually run anything (beyond the reconfigure command); that's a huge part of the benefit of Guix – just being able to declaratively define the config. and everything else takes care of getting it to work, rather than imperatively running commands yourself and, possibly, running something in the wrong order (or whatever, etc.) which might introduce unexpected behavior.    On Monday, May 29, 2023, 08:25:51 AM CDT, David Conner <aionfork@gmail.com> wrote:

@ 2023-06-03 21:59       ` David Conner
From: David Conner @ 2023-06-03 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaft; +Cc: Jaft via

Thanks for the explanation. I’ll try to update the thread soon with more
details.

i was wondering last night whether a Guix Home profile can start and
additional set of Shepherd services. I think it can but it would require
using a separate socket.

I’m using both GuixSD and Arch and neither has Guix Home. My dotfiles have
a bit of process to them that create more work when using both distros. I’m
hoping that Home will make this easier to accommodate. I also may change
from i3 to Sway soon, but sticking to KDE on Arch. This has been slowing me
down.

I also may be having problems related to the Guile load paths shepherd is
running with, since I have been running the executable in
/run/current-system/profile, but I just get errors related to
continuations/fibers when I load the file for a second service.

I’m also hoping the shepherd Repl service may help to debug. Whatever is
happening is t common, so it must be a configuration issue.

Apologies if there are email artifacts in the thread. I’m sending this from
my phone & I’m still getting used to gnus and mailing lists.

--
David C.

Aion
<https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780190681166.001.0001/acref-9780190681166-e-9?rskey=T60B90&result=9>,
an untranslatable pulsar for your epistemic constellations