all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Seeking "complex" system examples / guixops
@ 2019-07-29 14:16 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2019-07-29 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

now that guix deploy is making good progress, I wonder about "complex"
system examples, like setting up a full-stack nextcloud server.

For the background: I'm using debops [1] a lot, which is a collection of
integrated Ansible roles. For examples there are roles for setting up
ferm (an iptables firewall), nginx, php, databases and even
nextcloud/owncloud.

So for installing a nextcloud system including Lets' Encrypt
certificates, one only defines some variables and runs a prepared
Ansible playbook. The playbook will take care of passing variables
around from one role to another. E.g. nginx is configured to use an
"upstream" to php, which itself is configured to use the nextcloud code,
and the firewall is configured to allow port 80 and 443.

This not only installs the software and generates config files, but also
runs setups, generates passwords, initializes databases, etc.

So I'm wondering whether anyone is using guix for this kind of
system-setup in a flexible manner and whetehr one could share some examples.

Thanks in advance.

[1] https://debops.org

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Seeking "complex" system examples / guixops
@ 2019-07-29 15:53 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Hartmut,

> So I'm wondering whether anyone is using guix for this kind of
> system-setup in a flexible manner and whetehr one could share some examples.

the Guix sysadmins are using Guix to build complex systems.  Our
configurations are available in the “hydra” directory of the maintenance
repository:

    https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra

The ci.guix.gnu.org head node is defined here:

    https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/berlin.scm

All its build nodes are instantiations of the procedurally generated
configuration here:

    https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/modules/sysadmin/build-machines.scm

Berlin also uses a complex nginx configuration, which is defined here:

    https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/hydra/nginx/berlin.scm

Hope that’s enough to get you started!

--
Ricardo

* Re: Seeking "complex" system examples / guixops
@ 2019-08-01 17:55   ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2019-08-01 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,
> the Guix sysadmins are using Guix to build complex systems.  Our
> configurations are available in the “hydra” directory of the maintenance
> repository:

Many thanks for pointing me there. In dded this grow quite complex since
I checked last time.

And it's complex enough to convince me that some "GuixOps" would be
helpful, implementing hight level abstraction and more defaults. (This
is what I applied for at NGI Zero PET just today).

--

@ 2019-08-01 18:13     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-08-01 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Hartmut Goebel, Ricardo Wurmus