all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tool to format/indent scheme code
@ 2017-03-04  5:54 Huang, Ying
From: Huang, Ying @ 2017-03-04  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi, All,

Sometimes, I want to check the contents of auto-generated scheme code in
store.  But the readability is not very good.  So I want to use a code
format/indent tool to help on this.  Do you know is there such tool in
Guix?  If no, any tool not in Guix?  Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying

* Re: Tool to format/indent scheme code
@ 2017-03-04 14:18 ` Mekeor Melire
From: Mekeor Melire @ 2017-03-04 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Huang, Ying; +Cc: help-guix

Huang, Ying <huang_ying_caritas@163.com> writes:

> Sometimes, I want to check the contents of auto-generated scheme code in
> store.  But the readability is not very good.  So I want to use a code
> format/indent tool to help on this.  Do you know is there such tool in
> Guix?  If no, any tool not in Guix?  Thanks in advance!

In Guix' Git-repository, there is a file `etc/indent-code.el.in`. I
think, after running `./bootstrap`, it becomes `etc/indent-code.el` which
is then executable. I guess, it requires emacs being installed though.
You can then run `./etc/indent-code.el gnu/packages/foo.scm` or so.

I'm not sure if `indent-code.el` is only made for package definitions
(like gnu/packages/foo.scm) or if it also works for other Scheme code.

Maybe try it? Maybe somebody else knows? Maybe read the code?

I'm not sure if I was helpful.

--
mekeor ~ EDD3 DFFA 76F6 11C0 145F 9A99 AC85 BAD8 A2F8 C868

* Re: Tool to format/indent scheme code
@ 2017-03-04 19:05 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-03-04 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Huang, Ying; +Cc: help-guix

Huang, Ying (2017-03-04 13:54 +0800) wrote:

> Hi, All,
>
> Sometimes, I want to check the contents of auto-generated scheme code in
> store.  But the readability is not very good.  So I want to use a code
> format/indent tool to help on this.  Do you know is there such tool in
> Guix?  If no, any tool not in Guix?  Thanks in advance!

In Emacs you can use "C-u M-x indent-pp-sexp" to pretty print a sexp
after the point.

BTW, if anyone is interested, Emacs-Guix uses 'indent-pp-sexp' to
pretty-print Shepherd config of a system generation, which can be shown
like this:

1. Run "M-x guix-system-generations"
2. Press "RET" on any generation to get more info
3. Press "Pretty print" button

--
Alex

* Re: Tool to format/indent scheme code
@ 2017-03-05 12:19   ` Huang, Ying
From: Huang, Ying @ 2017-03-05 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> Huang, Ying (2017-03-04 13:54 +0800) wrote:
>
>> Hi, All,
>>
>> Sometimes, I want to check the contents of auto-generated scheme code in
>> store.  But the readability is not very good.  So I want to use a code
>> format/indent tool to help on this.  Do you know is there such tool in
>> Guix?  If no, any tool not in Guix?  Thanks in advance!
>
> In Emacs you can use "C-u M-x indent-pp-sexp" to pretty print a sexp
> after the point.

Thanks a lot!  That is a useful tool.

> BTW, if anyone is interested, Emacs-Guix uses 'indent-pp-sexp' to
> pretty-print Shepherd config of a system generation, which can be shown
> like this:
>
> 1. Run "M-x guix-system-generations"
> 2. Press "RET" on any generation to get more info
> 3. Press "Pretty print" button

This is a very good interface!

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying