all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why don't "guix pack" and "guix environment" accept manifests?
@ 2018-02-06 13:20 Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2018-02-06 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi everyone,

Today I tried to convert one of my Guix profiles into a Docker image,
and naively tried

	guix pack -f docker -m my-manifest.scm

Now I know it doesn't work, but I wonder if there is a good reason or if
this is just not implemented? The same question applies to "guix
environment". Maybe even "guix build", although I don't see a use case
for that. But I'd expect to be able to use a manifest wherever a list of
packages is required.

Konrad.

* Re: Why don't "guix pack" and "guix environment" accept manifests?
@ 2018-02-07 10:30 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-02-07 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Hinsen; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Konrad,

> Today I tried to convert one of my Guix profiles into a Docker image,
> and naively tried
>
> 	guix pack -f docker -m my-manifest.scm
>
> Now I know it doesn't work, but I wonder if there is a good reason or if
> this is just not implemented?

I don’t think there’s a good reason.  “guix pack” accepts a store item
such as a profile, which may have been built from a manifest.  I
wouldn’t mind accepting a patch to add support for a manifest option for
“guix pack”.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net