all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unofficial Neovim channel
@ 2019-01-21 11:22 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2019-01-21 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix developers,

I have set up an unofficial Guix channel for Neovim (and possibly for related
projects in the future):

https://gitlab.com/HiPhish/neovim-guix-channel/

The plan is to use this channel first, and then submit patches to Guix when
everything is deemed correct and reliable. I also wrote a blog post[1] on the
topic, although it's primarily addressed at people familiar with Neovim and
unfamiliar with Guix. I would very much appreciate if someone could go over
the code in my channel and see if everything is in order.

HiPhish

[1] http://hiphish.github.io/blog/2019/01/21/neovim-guix-channel/

* Re: Unofficial Neovim channel
@ 2019-01-21 14:02 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-01-21 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HiPhish; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

HiPhish <hiphish@posteo.de> skribis:

> I have set up an unofficial Guix channel for Neovim (and possibly for related
> projects in the future):
>
> https://gitlab.com/HiPhish/neovim-guix-channel/
>
> The plan is to use this channel first, and then submit patches to Guix when
> everything is deemed correct and reliable. I also wrote a blog post[1] on the
> topic, although it's primarily addressed at people familiar with Neovim and
> unfamiliar with Guix. I would very much appreciate if someone could go over
> the code in my channel and see if everything is in order.

Nice, thanks for sharing!

And yes, do feel free to contribute the package(s) to Guix itself when
you deem appropriate!  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Unofficial Neovim channel
@ 2019-01-22 11:14 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-01-22 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 2019-01-21 12:22, HiPhish a écrit :
> Hello Guix developers,
>
> I have set up an unofficial Guix channel for Neovim (and possibly for
> related
> projects in the future):
>
> https://gitlab.com/HiPhish/neovim-guix-channel/
>
> The plan is to use this channel first, and then submit patches to Guix
> when
> everything is deemed correct and reliable. I also wrote a blog post[1]
> on the
> topic, although it's primarily addressed at people familiar with Neovim
> and
> unfamiliar with Guix. I would very much appreciate if someone could go
> over
> the code in my channel and see if everything is in order.
>
> HiPhish

Hi,

I wonder why you felt the need to have that channel? We already have a
neovim
package in guix. I'm very curious because I use that package and didn't
feel
that anything was missing, apart maybe from the possibility to install
plugins
from guix, which would be great. What's the difference between your
definition
and guix' definition?

@ 2019-01-22 12:59 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2019-01-22 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

> I wonder why you felt the need to have that channel?
Two points: the package in Guix is lagging behind in release, and I don't know
enough yet about Guix to submit patches on a whim. So I made a channel to first
try thing out for myself before submitting them to Guix. If I mess something
up in my channel that's my problem, but if I mess up something in Guix then it
reflects badly on all of Guix. I could have just left the channel local to my
hard drive (as I had in the past), but making it public allows more people to
have a look at it.

I guess most (all?) Guix package maintainers use Emacs instead of Vim or
Neovim, but I use Neovim as my daily driver, so I'm more likely to catch if
something is wrong. For example, I noticed that the Guix Neovim package is
using Lua 5.2 libraries has its inputs, whereas you need Lua 5.1 libraries
(Lua is not backwards-compatible). I had also submitted Lua 5.1 packages of
lua-lpeg and lua-libmpack to Guix in the past.

> What's the difference between your definition and guix' definition?
Currently not much, only being three releases ahead and having the correct
dependencies. (Lua 5.2 generally works as well, but you never know when an
obscure edge-case might bite you in the rear)

* Re: Unofficial Neovim channel
@ 2019-01-22 15:08   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-01-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:14:53PM +0100, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> I wonder why you felt the need to have that channel? We already have
> a neovim package in guix. I'm very curious because I use that
> package and didn't feel that anything was missing, apart maybe from
> the possibility to install plugins from guix, which would be great.
> What's the difference between your definition and guix' definition?

Channels are a good way to experiment. I guess experimentation is the
purpose :).

Pj.