all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Redshift and Geoclue
@ 2019-12-05 11:19 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-12-05 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi!

I'd like to set up Redshift to use the Geoclue service to automatically
determine my location.

I see that the geoclue service is part of the default desktop services,
however no "geoclue" process is running in the background for me.

If I run

/gnu/store/jzwzbi56q04h2svgw2s7i96fvxy914vi-geoclue-2.4.8/libexec/geoclue-2.0/demos/where-am-i

it returns after some 30 seconds without outputting anything.

If I start `redshift`, I get the following output:

Trying location provider `geoclue2'...
Using provider `geoclue2'.
Using method `randr'.
Waiting for initial location to become available...

and it hangs forever.

I guess the geoclue service is not running or needs more configuration.

Looking at the geoclue service configuration, I see that I need to
whitelist some applications.

Should I add "redshift" to %standard-geoclue-applications this way?

(geoclue-service ...
  #:applications
  (cons* (geoclue-application "redshift" #:system? #f)
    %standard-geoclue-applications))

Would it still work if "redshift" is not a desktop application (it does
not come with a .desktop file)?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Redshift and Geoclue
@ 2020-01-08 15:55 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-01-08 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Friendly ping! ;)
Anyone using redshift on Guix?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Redshift and Geoclue
@ 2020-01-12  5:24   ` Josh Marshall
From: Josh Marshall @ 2020-01-12  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

I will be once I get time to move stuff from ubuntu to guix.  It does
a lot to save my eyes and sleep schedule.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 10:55 AM Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:

> Friendly ping! ;)
> Anyone using redshift on Guix?
>
> --
> Pierre Neidhardt
> https://ambrevar.xyz/

* Re: Redshift and Geoclue
@ 2020-01-18 11:52   ` Josh Holland
From: Josh Holland @ 2020-01-18 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix!

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:
> Anyone using redshift on Guix?

I am, but I hadn't got round to investigating geoclue yet so I'm just
using -l and a hardcoded lat/long pair.

--
Josh Holland