all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pgp key
@ 2024-04-30 16:32 gfp
From: gfp @ 2024-04-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 209 bytes --]

Hi,

how can I find a pgp key for help-guix@gnu.org
so that I can send emails in thunderbird encrypted to guix?

There is a pgp key for Ludovic Courtes, but it ended 2022

thanks for help

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: pgp key
@ 2024-04-30 17:24 ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-04-30 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfp; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

On 2024-04-30 16:32:42 +0000, gfp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I find a pgp key for help-guix@gnu.org
> so that I can send emails in thunderbird encrypted to guix?

This is a public mailing list, so the messages to it should not be encrypted.

Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: pgp key
@ 2024-04-30 23:02   ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-04-30 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomas Volf, gfp; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Gottfried,

On Tue, Apr 30 2024, Tomas Volf wrote:

> This is a public mailing list, so the messages to it should not be
> encrypted.

If it's okay to elaborate, it is furthermore not necessary to encrypt
carbon copies of public messages to direct recipients.

So when you copy Ludo' on messages to help-guix@, for example, there is
no need to use Ludo's key.  In fact, an emerging standard recommends
against it. [1]

Thank you for encrypting your email (or at least trying)!

Kind regards
Felix

[1] Section 3.2 ("One Cryptographic Status Per Message")
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-e2e-mail-guidance/

* Re: pgp key
@ 2024-05-01 17:25     ` gfp
From: gfp @ 2024-05-01 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner, Tomas Volf; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1104 bytes --]

Hi Guix,

My problem looks like this.

I wrote a simple song about Guix.

I would like to send it to all for checking, for correction, for
testing... but encrypted.

I would not like to send it unencrypted, so that somebody may misuse it
during the sending.

It includes a pdf, flac, ly, mkv, mp4, wav, ogg file.

So what can I do?

Gottfried

@ 2024-05-01 17:46       ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-05-01 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfp, Tomas Volf; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Gottfried,

On Wed, May 01 2024, gfp@posteo.at wrote:

> I would not like to send it unencrypted, so that somebody may misuse
> it during the sending.

What type of misuse do you envision?  If you want to share the song with
the world, you are not looking for encryption.  That would help keep
your song confidential.

Are you looking for signatures?  When used properly, they prevent
someone from tampering with the content you distribute.

There are two way to do that.

You can sign a PGP/MIME email with PGP.  That happens regularly on Guix
mailing lists, although probably more often on guix-devel.  Here is how
to do it in Emacs's Message Mode. [1] Most modern mail clients will
automatically check the signature and light up when the message was
modified in transit.

You could also publish "detached signatures."  Those are basically
hashes of your songs (with algorithms like SHA-512) that you sign with
your private key.  GnuPG is a tool that allows you to do that [2]
although it would be good to remind recipients that they should verify
your signatures manually.

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/message/Signing-and-encryption.html
[2] https://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/x135.html

* Re: pgp key
@ 2024-05-01 18:43       ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-05-01 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfp, Tomas Volf; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Gottfried,

On Wed, May 01 2024, gfp@posteo.at wrote:

> I would like to send it to all

For songs and other creative content it may be better to provide a
download link (for files and signatures) than to copy the entire list.

Some folks, myself included, read emails on devices with limited memory.
Server space, which stores emails, is also valuable.

By providing a link, you offer interested readers---who I am sure are
many---a way to download your files and store them in their playlists.

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: pgp key
@ 2024-05-02 20:22         ` gfp
From: gfp @ 2024-05-02 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner, Tomas Volf; +Cc: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1058 bytes --]

Hi Felix,

thanks very much for explaning a lot of things.

I don't have a server or a website for downloading anything.

I only have a "tuxedo" nextcloud account (which the company tuxedo gave
access through buying a laptop there and I uploaded the files for the song

I gave rights to the email address: help-guix@gnu.org
but I don't know how it works, how somebody can find it or download
anything from there.

Gottfried

@ 2024-05-02 20:32           ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2024-05-02 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfp; +Cc: Felix Lechner, Tomas Volf, help-guix

Hello Gottfried,

Am Thu, May 02, 2024 at 08:22:37PM +0000 schrieb gfp:
> I gave rights to the email address: help-guix@gnu.org
> but I don't know how it works, how somebody can find it or download anything
> from there.

well, we all got an invitation and a download link at the address
help-guix@gnu.org, so it worked.

Thanks for sharing, this is a fun and touching project!

Andreas

* Re: pgp key
@ 2024-05-02 20:45           ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2024-05-02 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gfp, Tomas Volf; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Gottfried,

On Thu, May 02 2024, gfp@posteo.at wrote:

> I don't know how it works, how somebody can find it or download
> anything from there.

Thanks for sending those!  You can see your own messages in the list
archive. [1] I can download the score and watch your guitar song
Guix.mp4.

Thank you for giving back to the community!  Guix is so much better
because of you.

Your guitar chords and vocals were a beautiful escape for ten minutes.
I listened to them twice.

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2024-05/threads.html