all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* TeX Live and ConTeXt
@ 2019-08-03 17:02 Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2019-08-03 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix'ers—

I installed texlive-context-base.  Now I want to compile a document,
but there is an issue:

$ cat test.tex
\starttext
\startsection[title={Testing ConTeXt}]
  This is my {\em first} ConTeXt document.
\stopsection
\stoptext
$ context test.tex
mtxrun          | forcing cache reload
resolvers       | resolving | configuration files already identified
resolvers       | resolving | loading configuration file '/gnu/store/mhxxwwph6y13aa1mqmczqcbkkndkvzaq-texlive-texmf-20180414/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving | locating list of '/gnu/store/hf3jvp06bqdhp5ckb3vf8c68p0ks7qgs-texlive-texmf-2017/share/texmf-var' (runtime) (tree:////gnu/store/hf3jvp06bqdhp5ckb3vf8c68p0ks7qgs-texlive-texmf-2017/share/texmf-var)
resolvers       | methods | resolving, method 'locators', how 'uri', handler 'tree', argument 'tree:////gnu/store/hf3jvp06bqdhp5ckb3vf8c68p0ks7qgs-texlive-texmf-2017/share/texmf-var'
resolvers       | trees | locator '/gnu/store/hf3jvp06bqdhp5ckb3vf8c68p0ks7qgs-texlive-texmf-2017/share/texmf-var' not found
resolvers       | resolving |
resolvers       | resolving |
mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-context.lua' using hash 'lua::mtx-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-contexts.lua' using hash 'lua::mtx-contexts.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-t-context.lua' using hash 'lua::mtx-t-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-t-contexts.lua' using hash 'lua::mtx-t-contexts.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembered file 'mtx-t-context.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'lua'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'context.lua' using hash 'lua::context.lua'
mtxrun          | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

quiliro has reproduced the issue (see recent #guix IRC log).
Does someone have an idea what is wrong or what I should do?

—Marco

* Re: TeX Live and ConTeXt
@ 2019-08-03 18:15 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-08-03 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Marco,

> I installed texlive-context-base.  Now I want to compile a document,
> but there is an issue:

the TeX Live packages in Guix are getting an overhaul on the
“wip-texlive” branch.  We are still waiting for all affected packages to
be built.

With some luck these changes will help you.

--
Ricardo

* Re: TeX Live and ConTeXt
@ 2019-08-04 11:59   ` Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2019-08-04 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Ricardo—

Je  3 aug 20:15 skribis Ricardo:
> > I installed texlive-context-base.  Now I want to compile a document,
> > but there is an issue:
>
> the TeX Live packages in Guix are getting an overhaul on the
> “wip-texlive” branch.  We are still waiting for all affected packages to
> be built.
>
> With some luck these changes will help you.

Yes, and in case the issue persists after the overhaul I'll pick up the
problem then.  For now I'll use TeX and friends on my non-Guix systems.

Thanks for this status update.  I'm looking forward to see how the
beast TeX Live is handled in Guix after the overhaul.

—Marco

* Re: TeX Live and ConTeXt
@ 2019-08-04 12:25     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-08-04 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: help-guix

Marco van Hulten <marco@hulten.org> writes:

> Je  3 aug 20:15 skribis Ricardo:
>> > I installed texlive-context-base.  Now I want to compile a document,
>> > but there is an issue:
>>
>> the TeX Live packages in Guix are getting an overhaul on the
>> “wip-texlive” branch.  We are still waiting for all affected packages to
>> be built.
>>
>> With some luck these changes will help you.
>
> Yes, and in case the issue persists after the overhaul I'll pick up the
> problem then.  For now I'll use TeX and friends on my non-Guix systems.

You can also install the big “texlive” package, which should also work.
It’s just really, really big, slow to download and install, but it works
just fine.

If you’ve got the space to space I’d recommend using it.  The modular
TeX Live packages — even after the overhaul — won’t be any better
(featurewise) compared to the big “texlive” package.

--
Ricardo