all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* network-manager-openconnect setup
@ 2019-08-10 20:34 Santana, Divan
From: Santana, Divan @ 2019-08-10 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help guix

Hi Guix,

I'm glad to see network-manager-openconnect is now packaged! :) Thank
you to who ever did that.

Trying to use it, after I installed it system wide and rebooted I get
this;

~ ᐅ sudo nmcli con up vpn-fnb --ask
Error: Connection activation failed: The VPN service 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openconnect' was not installed.

I read the manual which says:

     ‘vpn-plugins’ (default: ‘'()’)
          This is the list of available plugins for virtual private
          networks (VPNs).  An example of this is the
          ‘network-manager-openvpn’ package, which allows NetworkManager
          to manage VPNs via OpenVPN.

I therefore tried this in my config

(network-manager-service-type
 config => (network-manager-configuration
            (inherit config)
            (dns "dnsmasq")
            (vpn-plugins '("network-manager-openconnect"))
            ))

But I get this error:

~ ᐅ sudo -E guix system reconfigure  ~/.config/guix/system-config/swift.scm
Password:
Backtrace:
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
   592:29 19 (map1 (#<package sed@4.5 gnu/packages/commencement.s…> …))
   592:29 18 (map1 (#<package diffutils@3.6 gnu/packages/bootstra…> …))
   592:29 17 (map1 (#<package patch@2.7.6 gnu/packages/bootstrap.…> …))
   592:29 16 (map1 (#<package gawk@4.2.1 gnu/packages/bootstrap.s…> …))
   592:29 15 (map1 (#<package tar@1.30 gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm…> …))
   592:29 14 (map1 (#<package gzip@1.9 gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm…> …))
   592:29 13 (map1 (#<package bzip2@1.0.6 gnu/packages/bootstrap.…> …))
   592:29 12 (map1 (#<package xz@5.2.4 gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm…> …))
   592:29 11 (map1 (#<package lzip@1.20 gnu/packages/compression.…> …))
   592:29 10 (map1 (#<package shepherd@0.6.1 gnu/packages/admin.s…> …))
   592:29  9 (map1 (#<package guix@1.0.1-3.4a54ed7 gnu/packages/p…> …))
   592:29  8 (map1 (#<package elogind@241.3 gnu/packages/freedesk…> …))
   592:29  7 (map1 (#<package upower@0.99.10 gnu/packages/gnome.s…> …))
   592:29  6 (map1 (#<package udisks@2.7.7 gnu/packages/freedeskt…> …))
   592:29  5 (map1 (#<package wpa-supplicant@2.9 gnu/packages/adm…> …))
   592:29  4 (map1 (#<package network-manager@1.10.10 gnu/package…> …))
   592:17  3 (map1 ("network-manager-openconnect" #<package libvir…>))
In guix/inferior.scm:
   588:24  2 (inferior-package->manifest-entry "network-manager-ope…" …)
    363:4  1 (inferior-package-input-field "network-manager-opencon…" …)
   307:18  0 (inferior-package-field _ _)

guix/inferior.scm:307:18: In procedure inferior-package-field:
In procedure struct_vtable: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting
struct): "network-manager-openconnect"

What am I doing wrong?

Seperate topic:

Bonus points for anyone who knows why when I copy and paste into Emacs I
get these weird characters.

   588:24  2 (inferior-package->manifest-entry "network-manager-ope…" …)

This email is subject to a disclaimer.

Visit the FNB website and view the email disclaimer by clicking the "About FNB + Legal" and "Legal Matters" links.
If you are unable to access our website, please contact us to send you a copy of the email disclaimer.

* Re: network-manager-openconnect setup
@ 2019-08-10 21:08 ` Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2019-08-10 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Santana, Divan, Help guix

Hi!

"Santana, Divan" <dsantana@fnb.co.za> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I'm glad to see network-manager-openconnect is now packaged! :) Thank
> you to who ever did that.
>
> Trying to use it, after I installed it system wide and rebooted I get
> this;
>
> ~ ᐅ sudo nmcli con up vpn-fnb --ask
> Error: Connection activation failed: The VPN service 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openconnect' was not installed.
>
> I read the manual which says:
>
>      ‘vpn-plugins’ (default: ‘'()’)
>           This is the list of available plugins for virtual private
>           networks (VPNs).  An example of this is the
>           ‘network-manager-openvpn’ package, which allows NetworkManager
>           to manage VPNs via OpenVPN.
>
> I therefore tried this in my config
>
> (network-manager-service-type
>  config => (network-manager-configuration
>             (inherit config)
>             (dns "dnsmasq")
>             (vpn-plugins '("network-manager-openconnect"))
>             ))

If nothing else, you should go with the `network-manager-openconnect'
package object here. In your snippet, you are referring to the string
"network-manager-openconnect" instead.

Something like the following should solve your immediate issue:
  (vpn-plugins (list network-manager-openconnect))

> But I get this error:

> ~ ᐅ sudo -E guix system reconfigure  ~/.config/guix/system-config/swift.scm
> Password:
> Backtrace:
> In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
>    592:29 19 (map1 (#<package sed@4.5 gnu/packages/commencement.s…> …))
>    592:29 18 (map1 (#<package diffutils@3.6 gnu/packages/bootstra…> …))
>    592:29 17 (map1 (#<package patch@2.7.6 gnu/packages/bootstrap.…> …))
>    592:29 16 (map1 (#<package gawk@4.2.1 gnu/packages/bootstrap.s…> …))
>    592:29 15 (map1 (#<package tar@1.30 gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm…> …))
>    592:29 14 (map1 (#<package gzip@1.9 gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm…> …))
>    592:29 13 (map1 (#<package bzip2@1.0.6 gnu/packages/bootstrap.…> …))
>    592:29 12 (map1 (#<package xz@5.2.4 gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm…> …))
>    592:29 11 (map1 (#<package lzip@1.20 gnu/packages/compression.…> …))
>    592:29 10 (map1 (#<package shepherd@0.6.1 gnu/packages/admin.s…> …))
>    592:29  9 (map1 (#<package guix@1.0.1-3.4a54ed7 gnu/packages/p…> …))
>    592:29  8 (map1 (#<package elogind@241.3 gnu/packages/freedesk…> …))
>    592:29  7 (map1 (#<package upower@0.99.10 gnu/packages/gnome.s…> …))
>    592:29  6 (map1 (#<package udisks@2.7.7 gnu/packages/freedeskt…> …))
>    592:29  5 (map1 (#<package wpa-supplicant@2.9 gnu/packages/adm…> …))
>    592:29  4 (map1 (#<package network-manager@1.10.10 gnu/package…> …))
>    592:17  3 (map1 ("network-manager-openconnect" #<package libvir…>))
> In guix/inferior.scm:
>    588:24  2 (inferior-package->manifest-entry "network-manager-ope…" …)
>     363:4  1 (inferior-package-input-field "network-manager-opencon…" …)
>    307:18  0 (inferior-package-field _ _)
>
> guix/inferior.scm:307:18: In procedure inferior-package-field:
> In procedure struct_vtable: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting
> struct): "network-manager-openconnect"
>

> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Seperate topic:
>
> Bonus points for anyone who knows why when I copy and paste into Emacs I
> get these weird characters.
>
>    588:24  2 (inferior-package->manifest-entry "network-manager-ope…" …)
No clue, sorry :/

> This email is subject to a disclaimer.
>
> Visit the FNB website and view the email disclaimer by clicking the "About FNB + Legal" and "Legal Matters" links.
> If you are unable to access our website, please contact us to send you a copy of the email disclaimer.

You might want to reconsider adding this disclaimer, as this is a
mailing list with publicly available archive at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/

* Re: network-manager-openconnect setup
@ 2019-08-11 19:24 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-08-11 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Santana, Divan; +Cc: Help guix

"Santana, Divan" <dsantana@fnb.co.za> writes:

> Bonus points for anyone who knows why when I copy and paste into Emacs I
> get these weird characters.
>
>    588:24  2 (inferior-package->manifest-entry "network-manager-ope…" …)

The weird characters above, "…", should be a "HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS"
character "…" with unicode scalar value U+2026.  In the UTF-8 encoding,
the horizontal ellipsis is represented by three bytes with hex codes E2,
80, and A6.  The three weird characters "…" are what you get when
those three bytes are misinterpreted as Latin-1, a.k.a. ISO-8859-1
encoding.

Guile only outputs Unicode HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS in backtraces if your
current locale has an encoding for that character.  Otherwise, it will
print three ASCII periods ("...") instead.  So, it appears that your
locale environment variables (the ones printed by the "locale" command)
are configured for a UTF-8 locale.

I guess that somewhere else in your system, something is configured to
use Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) encoding.  It could be Emacs itself, or perhaps
your terminal emulator.

       Mark

* Re: network-manager-openconnect setup - [External Email]
@ 2019-09-09 20:01   ` divan
From: divan @ 2019-09-09 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jelle Licht, Help guix

>> Trying to use it, after I installed it system wide and rebooted I get
>> this;
>>
>> ~ ᐅ sudo nmcli con up vpn-fnb --ask
>> Error: Connection activation failed: The VPN service 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openconnect' was not installed.
>>
>> I read the manual which says:
>>
>>      ‘vpn-plugins’ (default: ‘'()’)
>>           This is the list of available plugins for virtual private
>>           networks (VPNs).  An example of this is the
>>           ‘network-manager-openvpn’ package, which allows NetworkManager
>>           to manage VPNs via OpenVPN.
>>
>> I therefore tried this in my config
>>
>> (network-manager-service-type
>>  config => (network-manager-configuration
>>             (inherit config)
>>             (dns "dnsmasq")
>>             (vpn-plugins '("network-manager-openconnect"))
>>             ))
>
> If nothing else, you should go with the `network-manager-openconnect'
> package object here. In your snippet, you are referring to the string
> "network-manager-openconnect" instead.
>
> Something like the following should solve your immediate issue:
>   (vpn-plugins (list network-manager-openconnect))

Makes total sense and fixed my issue. lol. Thank you!

>> This email is subject to a disclaimer.
>>
>> Visit the FNB website and view the email disclaimer by clicking the "About FNB + Legal" and "Legal Matters" links.
>> If you are unable to access our website, please contact us to send you a copy of the email disclaimer.

> You might want to reconsider adding this disclaimer, as this is a
> mailing list with publicly available archive at
> https://secure-web.cisco.com/1ZqvkATgEJFvkJ0wXj8_z-wGnZxvhwLIU37BHOD45mu8BrI5hPANkSnMovtDIesYvFhfwcMF9SB3LrdwGv93tSbkjtod_wj4NEdkVwwobbtbyHtHDuSZmzbnjuguSGq3xrsU_kSNmXaJl44RuAvnuqUGgit_azcAyomzTSbRzxxPvsZrevJ1kJyhakR0ZmLg9Y9-4lDg3KCILV3yD_PNoNNdlRyr9a4zGkQs1-2oWt6O4N0dskups5ky9TWpAX22wKjkcV6lkhkMPOmMi3E8VyDcL73U6--0xfUNoANQas0ab0nBJMe46uj4kPbYxL5xyes5MYR0tfu0uQ3-wt9Gf1g/https%3A%2F%2Flists.gnu.org%2Farchive%2Fhtml%2Fhelp-guix%2F

My personal mail server was down due to upstream ISP blocking incoming
port 80 (go figure!), which broke my SSL cert renewals, so I temporarily
used work mail. :grin:

* Re: network-manager-openconnect setup - [External Email]
@ 2019-09-09 20:02   ` divan
From: divan @ 2019-09-09 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Help guix

>> Bonus points for anyone who knows why when I copy and paste into Emacs I
>> get these weird characters.
>>
>>    588:24  2 (inferior-package->manifest-entry "network-manager-ope…" …)
>
> The weird characters above, "…", should be a "HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS"
> character "…" with unicode scalar value U+2026.  In the UTF-8 encoding,
> the horizontal ellipsis is represented by three bytes with hex codes E2,
> 80, and A6.  The three weird characters "…" are what you get when
> those three bytes are misinterpreted as Latin-1, a.k.a. ISO-8859-1
> encoding.
>
> Guile only outputs Unicode HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS in backtraces if your
> current locale has an encoding for that character.  Otherwise, it will
> print three ASCII periods ("...") instead.  So, it appears that your
> locale environment variables (the ones printed by the "locale" command)
> are configured for a UTF-8 locale.
>
> I guess that somewhere else in your system, something is configured to
> use Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) encoding.  It could be Emacs itself, or perhaps
> your terminal emulator.

Mark, really appreciate above - thanks.

It sorted my issue out.