all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix package -i emacs, failed
@ 2016-03-10  7:27 Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-10  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hello,

Yesterday I was trying to compile emacs from guix: guix package -i
emacs, and it did not work, it said: gdk-pixbuf could not be done for
3600 seconds, something like that.

However, when emacs is compiled directly, it works without problems.

Maybe gdk-pixbuf should not be dependency for emacs. It is basic to have
emacs first.

Jean Louis

* Re: guix package -i emacs, failed
@ 2016-03-10  9:05 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2016-03-10  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Help Guix

Jean Louis <guix@rcdrun.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I was trying to compile emacs from guix: guix package -i
> emacs, and it did not work, it said: gdk-pixbuf could not be done for
> 3600 seconds, something like that.
I think the issue is gdk-pixbuf's stress tests try to use a lot of
memory and sometimes can run too long without any output.  There is
an 'max-silent-time' option in guix can be used to set the 3600s limit,
but it may be not what we need here ;-)

> However, when emacs is compiled directly, it works without problems.
>
> Maybe gdk-pixbuf should not be dependency for emacs. It is basic to have
> emacs first.
gdk-pixbuf is used by gtk+, and the default emacs is compiled with gtk+
GUI.  There is 'emacs-no-x' with ncurses UI which don't need it.

* Re: guix package -i emacs, failed
@ 2016-03-10 10:01   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-10 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: Help Guix

Hello,

Is there way to download binary directly?

@ 2016-03-10 16:30     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-10 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Help Guix

Jean Louis <guix@rcdrun.com> skribis:

> Is there way to download binary directly?

As discussed on IRC, please read
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Substitutes.html>
carefully and make sure you did not miss any steps.

HTH!

Ludo’.