all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-23 14:22 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-06-23 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi there!

Do you people have recommendations when it comes to MTP (file sharing
with mobile devices) support on GuixSD?

Ideally I'd like something as straightforward as an auto-mounted folder
which I can browse with my favourite file browser.

I see Guix offers a few options:

- jmtpgs
- gmtp
- libmtp

What's your setup, people?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-23 17:53 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-06-23 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Pierre Neidhardt <pe.neidhardt@googlemail.com> writes:

> Do you people have recommendations when it comes to MTP (file sharing
> with mobile devices) support on GuixSD?
>
> Ideally I'd like something as straightforward as an auto-mounted folder
> which I can browse with my favourite file browser.
>
> I see Guix offers a few options:
>
> - jmtpgs
> - gmtp
> - libmtp
>
> What's your setup, people?

I know some people simply use Nautilus.  This depends on gvfs or GNOME.

--
Ricardo

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-23 17:59 ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2018-06-23 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Pierre,

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Pierre Neidhardt
<pe.neidhardt@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> Do you people have recommendations when it comes to MTP (file sharing
> with mobile devices) support on GuixSD?
>
> Ideally I'd like something as straightforward as an auto-mounted folder
> which I can browse with my favourite file browser.
>
> I see Guix offers a few options:
>
> - jmtpgs
> - gmtp
> - libmtp
>
> What's your setup, people?

I've been using gmtp for the time being, which works but I don't like
it very much. I'm not sure what to do in order to make the GNOME file
manager auto-mount MTP devices like I'm used to in mainstream distros.
Does anybody else have this working?

- Dave

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-23 18:02   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-06-23 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: help-guix

Personally I'd prefer that it'd be mounted just like any other folder so that I
can browse with Emacs for instance.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Davis's Dictum:
	Problems that go away by themselves, come back by themselves.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-23 18:03     ` Thompson, David
From: Thompson, David @ 2018-06-23 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I'd prefer that it'd be mounted just like any other folder so that I
> can browse with Emacs for instance.

Yeah, that's what I'm after as well. There's some missing integration here.

- Dave

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-23 19:59       ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-06-23 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Help-Guix, help-guix

On 2018-06-23 20:03, Thompson, David wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Personally I'd prefer that it'd be mounted just like any other folder so that I
>> can browse with Emacs for instance.
>
> Yeah, that's what I'm after as well. There's some missing integration here.
>
> - Dave

I just found out that we are missing a USE-flag with at least the
gvfs-package for it to work.

See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MTP

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-23 20:25         ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-06-23 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: help-guix, Help-Guix

Both Gentoo and Guix packages are outdated.
1.37 is out.
GVFS has switched to Meson in the mean time.
Arch is a little bit more up to date:

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/gvfs

I guess the above definition could help.
Anyone giving the update a shot?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-24  9:30           ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-06-24  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix, Help-Guix

Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:

> Both Gentoo and Guix packages are outdated.
> 1.37 is out.
> GVFS has switched to Meson in the mean time.
> Arch is a little bit more up to date:
>
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/gvfs
>
> I guess the above definition could help.
> Anyone giving the update a shot?

I’m already working on the upgrades to all of GNOME, including the gvfs
upgrade to 1.36.2.

--
Ricardo

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-24 10:01             ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-06-24 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

> Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Both Gentoo and Guix packages are outdated.
>> 1.37 is out.
>> GVFS has switched to Meson in the mean time.
>> Arch is a little bit more up to date:
>>
>> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/gvfs
>>
>> I guess the above definition could help.
>> Anyone giving the update a shot?
>
> I’m already working on the upgrades to all of GNOME, including the gvfs
> upgrade to 1.36.2.

This happens on the “core-updates” branch.

--
Ricardo

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-06-24 15:12               ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-06-24 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>> Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Both Gentoo and Guix packages are outdated.
>>> 1.37 is out.
>>> GVFS has switched to Meson in the mean time.
>>> Arch is a little bit more up to date:
>>>
>>> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/gvfs
>>>
>>> I guess the above definition could help.
>>> Anyone giving the update a shot?
>>
>> I’m already working on the upgrades to all of GNOME, including the gvfs
>> upgrade to 1.36.2.
>
> This happens on the “core-updates” branch.

Could you create a 'gnome-updates' branch for this?  That makes it
easier to track the changes, and allows for building it without
rebuilding the entire world.

We might want to merge it to core-updates rather than build it on its
own regardless, but at least we have the option.  What do you think?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* GNOME updates (was: MTP & Guix)
@ 2018-06-28 13:08                 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-06-28 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: help-guix

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:

>>> I’m already working on the upgrades to all of GNOME, including the gvfs
>>> upgrade to 1.36.2.
>>
>> This happens on the “core-updates” branch.
>
> Could you create a 'gnome-updates' branch for this?  That makes it
> easier to track the changes, and allows for building it without
> rebuilding the entire world.
>
> We might want to merge it to core-updates rather than build it on its
> own regardless, but at least we have the option.  What do you think?

Changes to the GNOME stack require some changes that are almost
equivalent to rebuilding the world, I’m afraid.  There are changes to
dependencies of GTK+ and Pango, which result in more than 2400 rebuilds.

I have started making these changes on top of core-updates.  Once I’m
done I can push them to a separate branch that could later be merged
into core-updates.

--
Ricardo

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-07-05 10:31   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-07-05 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thompson, David; +Cc: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

"Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> writes:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Pierre Neidhardt
> <pe.neidhardt@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there!
>>
>> Do you people have recommendations when it comes to MTP (file sharing
>> with mobile devices) support on GuixSD?
>>
>> Ideally I'd like something as straightforward as an auto-mounted folder
>> which I can browse with my favourite file browser.
>>
>> I see Guix offers a few options:
>>
>> - jmtpgs
>> - gmtp
>> - libmtp
>>
>> What's your setup, people?

MTP works (sort of) for me on GNOME.  In the past, I know it also worked
on Xfce for me, too (I haven't tested that recently, though).  I use
Nautilus.  One very important caveat is that it does NOT work until
after I do the following things:

(1) Connect my phone to my computer with a USB cable.

(2) Enable the "file transfer" mode from the phone's UI.

(3) On the computer, press Control+Alt+F2 to switch to a virtual
terminal, and then press Control+Alt+F7 to switch back to my graphical
desktop.

I have no idea why (3) is necessary for me.  However, if I don't do (3),
then even though I see the phone listed in Nautilus' browsing window,
clicking on it has no effect.  Once I do (3), when I click on the phone
in Nautilus, it finally shows me the files and lets me transfer things.
It's a mystery to me.  In the past, I looked into this, but I was not
able to solve the mystery:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-12/msg01076.html

Hope that helps,

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-07-07  3:57 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2018-07-07  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Pierre Neidhardt <pe.neidhardt@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi there!
>
> Do you people have recommendations when it comes to MTP (file sharing
> with mobile devices) support on GuixSD?
>
> Ideally I'd like something as straightforward as an auto-mounted folder
> which I can browse with my favourite file browser.
>
> I see Guix offers a few options:
>
> - jmtpgs
> - gmtp
> - libmtp
>
> What's your setup, people?

This is one of the things you'd think "must be dead simple" and then
loose a couple evenings trying to make work... eh!

I think the best option might be to have a running OpenSSH server on
your phone and use Emacs (tramp) to browse the files there (C-x f
/ssh:user@host:), but this probably requires to have rooted your phone.

Recently after finding that the Emacs builtin FTP browsing support
didn't work well with libre FTP servers (available on F-Droid) for
Android [0], someone suggested I could use Emacs with ADB (there is ADB
support in Tramp).  I just tried it now; works as well as any Dired
buffer :). It's documented in the chapter 5.3 External methods of the
Tramp manual.

Basically, add this to your ~/.emacs if you want it to connect
automatically to your device:

(setq tramp-adb-connect-if-not-connected t)

And then fire it up using C-x C-f /adb::.

You need the cable for the initial adb connection, but after you
continue the connection over TCP/IP wirelessly, by doing [2]:

> adb shell ip -f inet addr show wlan0   # Find your phone's IP address
> adb tcpip 5555
> adb connect <your-device-ip>:5555

HTH :)

Maxim

[0]  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31691
[1]  https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31691#14
[2]  https://stackoverflow.com/a/3623727/2896799

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-07-07  7:25   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-07-07  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: help-guix

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Basically, add this to your ~/.emacs if you want it to connect
> automatically to your device:

> (setq tramp-adb-connect-if-not-connected t)
>
> And then fire it up using C-x C-f /adb::.
>
> You need the cable for the initial adb connection, but after you
> continue the connection over TCP/IP wirelessly, by doing [2]:
>
>> adb shell ip -f inet addr show wlan0   # Find your phone's IP address
>> adb tcpip 5555
>> adb connect <your-device-ip>:5555

Nice, thanks for the tip!
I cannot try it out now and I'm no Android expert, so first question is:
does it require any special setup on the phone side?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: MTP & Guix
@ 2018-07-08 16:30     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2018-07-08 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Basically, add this to your ~/.emacs if you want it to connect
>> automatically to your device:

>> (setq tramp-adb-connect-if-not-connected t)
>>
>> And then fire it up using C-x C-f /adb::.
>>
>> You need the cable for the initial adb connection, but after you
>> continue the connection over TCP/IP wirelessly, by doing [2]:
>>
>>> adb shell ip -f inet addr show wlan0   # Find your phone's IP address
>>> adb tcpip 5555
>>> adb connect <your-device-ip>:5555
>
> Nice, thanks for the tip!
> I cannot try it out now and I'm no Android expert, so first question is:
> does it require any special setup on the phone side?

You need to enable the 'developer mode' or 'debug mode' on your
phone. This is the (somewhat ridiculous) official way to enable it [0]:

1. Open the Settings app.
2. (Only on Android 8.0 or higher) Select System.
3. Scroll to the bottom and select About phone.
4. Scroll to the bottom and tap Build number 7 times.
5  Return to the previous screen to find Developer options near the bottom.

You'll probably also want to install the android-udev-rules (we have a
package for it) to enable using adb as your normal user (instead of
root) [1].

HTH!

Maxim

[0]  https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options