all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A 'guix pull' option for 'manifest.scm' to be used in the next update
       [not found] <13483469.554170856.1564332865984.JavaMail.root@zimbra49-e8.priv.proxad.net>
@ 2019-07-28 17:00 ` hub.lombard
From: hub.lombard @ 2019-07-28 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hi Guix,

I have generated my own 'manifest.scm' file with '$ guix package -m ~/.config/guix/manifest.scm'

(Thanks again to iyzsong for helping me during the previous step:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-07/msg00139.html)

In order for 'manifest.scm' to be used in the next update, should I do something like this:

        $ guix pull -p, --profile=PROFILE

              (using PROFILE instead of ~/.config/guix/current)

Not knowing which is the correct term to put in place of PROFILE, what can be the actual command to launch?

        $ guix pull -p, --profile=PROFILE (?)

        $ guix pull -p, --profile=~/.guix-profile (?)

	$ guix pull -p, --profile=~/.config/guix/manifest.scm (?)

... or another thing?...

Thank you!

Hubert

* Re: A 'guix pull' option for 'manifest.scm' to be used in the next update
@ 2019-07-29  8:04   ` Josh Holland
From: Josh Holland @ 2019-07-29  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Hubert,

hub.lombard@free.fr writes:
> In order for 'manifest.scm' to be used in the next update, should I do something like this:
>
>         $ guix pull -p, --profile=PROFILE
>
>               (using PROFILE instead of ~/.config/guix/current)

`guix pull` is not the command that you should be passing your manifest
file to.  If you are familiar with Debian-based distros, then `guix
pull` is (somewhat) analogous to `apt update`: it gets updated package
definitions (and also updates the guix program itself) but doesn't make
any changes to packages you have installed.

Also, I think you have misunderstood what the PROFILE option is
referring to.  A "profile" in Guix is a collection of packages.  Usually
you'll have a single profile for each user, and perhaps some ad-hoc
profiles created behind the scenes by running `guix environment`.  In
several months of running Guix, I've never needed to use the --profile
option.

To actually use the manifest, you want to pass it to `guix package`.
For example, here's the command I normally run to upgrade everything:

$ guix pull && guix package -m ~/guix-packages.scm -u .

Thanks,
Josh

* Re: A 'guix pull' option for 'manifest.scm' to be used in the next update
@ 2019-07-29 10:58     ` hub.lombard
From: hub.lombard @ 2019-07-29 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Holland; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Josh!

> In order for 'manifest.scm' to be used in the next update, should I do something like this:
>
>         $ guix pull -p, --profile=PROFILE
>
>               (using PROFILE instead of ~/.config/guix/current)

`guix pull` is not the command that you should be passing your manifest
file to.  If you are familiar with Debian-based distros, then `guix
pull` is (somewhat) analogous to `apt update`: it gets updated package
definitions (and also updates the guix program itself) but doesn't make
any changes to packages you have installed.

Also, I think you have misunderstood what the PROFILE option is
referring to.  A "profile" in Guix is a collection of packages.  Usually
you'll have a single profile for each user, and perhaps some ad-hoc
profiles created behind the scenes by running `guix environment`.  In
several months of running Guix, I've never needed to use the --profile
option.

To actually use the manifest, you want to pass it to `guix package`.
For example, here's the command I normally run to upgrade everything:

$ guix pull && guix package -m ~/guix-packages.scm -u .

Thanks,
Josh

Thank you for your answer :)

So maybe (I'm not sure) I can try, considering the path of my manifest.scm:

$ guix pull && guix package -m ~/.config/guix/manifest.scm -u

Is this path seems to be correct?

Otherwise, unless I have to move my file to another place?

Thanks,

@ 2019-07-29 11:30       ` Josh Holland
From: Josh Holland @ 2019-07-29 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hub.lombard; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Hubert,

hub.lombard@free.fr writes:
> So maybe (I'm not sure) I can try, considering the path of my manifest.scm:
>
> $ guix pull && guix package -m ~/.config/guix/manifest.scm -u

Yep, if that's the right path to where you saved your manifest file.

(Note that the -u option, upgrade, takes an optional argument, a regexp
matching which packages to act on.  I prefer to explicitly pass in
`-u.` to match anything since I normally run this command from my shell
history, and I can then just add any other options I want without them
being interpreted as an argument to -u.)

> Otherwise, unless I have to move my file to another place?

You can save the manifest file wherever you want, since you pass the
path into `guix package` with the -m option it'll always be able to find
it.

Thanks,
Josh

* Re: A 'guix pull' option for 'manifest.scm' to be used in the next update
@ 2019-07-29 12:13         ` hub.lombard
From: hub.lombard @ 2019-07-29 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Holland; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Josh :-)

> So maybe (I'm not sure) I can try, considering the path of my manifest.scm:
>
> $ guix pull && guix package -m ~/.config/guix/manifest.scm -u

Yep, if that's the right path to where you saved your manifest file.

(Note that the -u option, upgrade, takes an optional argument, a regexp
matching which packages to act on.  I prefer to explicitly pass in
`-u.` to match anything since I normally run this command from my shell
history, and I can then just add any other options I want without them
being interpreted as an argument to -u.)

\o/ it seems very interesting... Feeling like a lucky user to get note about this option.
And I'll try it on my own command-line for the next update.

> Otherwise, unless I have to move my file to another place?

You can save the manifest file wherever you want, since you pass the
path into `guix package` with the -m option it'll always be able to find
it.

... OK, good to know. I'm learning something more!

Thanks,
Josh

Thank you!
Hubert