all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About "asdf-build-system/source" and dependent packages
@ 2020-03-03  8:32 NOEU
From: NOEU @ 2020-03-03  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello

I am worried about the build-system of the GNU Guix package management
system and the resolution of package dependencies. Please help if you like.

I wanted to use the GNU Guix package management system to create a
private channel for Common Lisp ASDF packages.

I am working while checking "gnu/packages/lisp-xyz.scm".
In lisp-xyz.scm, define the package for SBCL, and then add the ECL build
package and source package to Is defined as

;; for SBCL
(define-public sbcl-package-name
   (inputs
     `((" package-name-a ", sbcl-package-name-a)
        ("package-name-b", sbcl-package-name-b)))
   (build-system asdf-build-system / sbcl)
   ...)

;; for Source
(define-public cl-package-name
   (sbcl-package-> cl-source-package sbcl-package-name))

;; for ECL
(define-public ecl-package-name
   (sbcl-package-> ecl-package sbcl-package-name))

To make such a definition, "guix package -i cl-package-name" will
install the dependent "package-name-a" and "package-name-b" at the same
time. You can find it under $GUIX_PROFILE/share/common-lisp/source.

However, I simply wanted to define a package to install the source, and
defined the package using "asdf-build-system/source" as follows:

(define-public cl-package-name
   (inputs
     `((" package-name-a ", cl-package-name-a)
        ("package-name-b", cl-package-name-b)))
   (build-system asdf-build-system / source)
   ...)

When this definition is made and "guix package -i cl-package-name" is
executed, the dependent package specified in "inputs" will not be
installed. (Dependent packages are also installed in
asdf-build-system/source. It is executed after rewriting to the
definition used)

Is there a way to automatically install dependent(inputs) packages when
using "asdf-build-system/source"?

Best regards,
NOEU

* Re: About "asdf-build-system/source" and dependent packages
@ 2020-03-03 14:53 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-03 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NOEU, help-guix; +Cc: Guillaume Le Vaillant

Thanks for bringing this up!

asdf-build-system/source should turn its inputs into propagated inputs
so that it does what the users want.

I guess we just need to fix the build system.

What about other build systems?

For instance, installing an sbcl package will not drag the source of its
dependents, which could be considered a bug.

Thoughts?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: About "asdf-build-system/source" and dependent packages
@ 2020-03-03 15:17   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-03-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: NOEU, Guillaume Le Vaillant

Pierre Neidhardt 写道:
> Thanks for bringing this up!

+1

> asdf-build-system/source should turn its inputs into propagated
> inputs
> so that it does what the users want.
>
> I guess we just need to fix the build system.
>
> What about other build systems?
>
> For instance, installing an sbcl package will not drag the
> source of its
> dependents, which could be considered a bug.

…so there's no way to do this in Lisp-land without propagation?
Damn.

I'd already started subtly (…) indoctrinating noeu on #guix that
propagation is unwholesome :o)

Oh well,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: About "asdf-build-system/source" and dependent packages
@ 2020-03-03 15:23     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-03 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix; +Cc: Guillaume Le Vaillant

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> Pierre Neidhardt 写道:
>> Thanks for bringing this up!
>
> +1
>
>> asdf-build-system/source should turn its inputs into propagated
>> inputs
>> so that it does what the users want.
>>
>> I guess we just need to fix the build system.
>>
>> What about other build systems?
>>
>> For instance, installing an sbcl package will not drag the
>> source of its
>> dependents, which could be considered a bug.
>
> …so there's no way to do this in Lisp-land without propagation?
> Damn.

Actually you are right, I think we can.
We can probably generate a new .asd for the source so as to find the
dependency sources in the store.

We already do this for the SBCL build system, we would just need to copy
this part of the code to the source build system and make sure we point
to the right .asd.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: About "asdf-build-system/source" and dependent packages
@ 2020-03-03 15:59   ` NOEU
From: NOEU @ 2020-03-03 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix; +Cc: Guillaume Le Vaillant

Thank you for responding to my poor English text.

As you told me, using propagated-inputs now automatically installs
dependent packages.

I've been studying Common Lisp for about a month, and recently started
touching GNU Guix as an alternative to the Quicklisp package management
system. I read guix/build-system/asdf.scm, but I don't know how this
system works overall, and it seems difficult to modify or change the
build system.

But I think it's a great mechanism to be able to add a build system the
way I want, so I'll try to read and understand the GNU Guile and Guix
code in the future.

@ 2020-03-04  8:16     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-04  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NOEU, help-guix; +Cc: Guillaume Le Vaillant