all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io>
To: Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
Cc: Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net>, guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Oniro or Guix on Zephyr kernel?
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:19:23 -0500	[thread overview]

> Actually, my new friend Mitchell just created a blog post about
> using
> GNU Guix for Zephyr kernels:
>
> https://gnucode.me/building-toolchains-with-guix.html

Great blog post, thank you! It makes me a little hesitant about
Zephyr if they have just given up on other people building their
SDK, but I am very glad all of you smart people are working on a
Guix alternative.

I am still curious if other parts of Guix System could be useful
in embedded environments if all of the packages are
cross-compiled.

I am not sure of the detailed plans for Oniro, but I assume that
it will provide some sort of abstraction layer and user space on
top of either the Linux kernel or the embedded Zephyr kernel.
Would it be possible to make some subset of Guix System into
something equivalent or is an entirely new operating system really
necessary for that purpose? Are most of the resource requirements
for Guix System, 1 Gig of ram, etc, due to the package builder and
Guix/Nix daemon? If it was possible to declare an instance of Guix
System that did not include those and only used cross-compiled
packages, could some portion of Guix System function in a similar
way as Oniro, or is that a nonsense question?