all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* StumpWM package doesn't work
@ 2016-11-27  0:48 Toni Reina
From: Toni Reina @ 2016-11-27  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I'm trying to install `sbcl-stumpwm` package and looks like it doesn't
work correctly. It's installed with no errors, but it doesn't generate
the stumpwm binary file.

The following package will be installed:
   sbcl-stumpwm 0.9.9   /gnu/store/z92ri0kgjdavkp7llav1db0dia44sbid-sbcl-stumpwm-0.9.9

ls /gnu/store/z92ri0kgjdavkp7llav1db0dia44sbid-sbcl-stumpwm-0.9.9
-> lib  share

I am doing something wrong?

Thanks!

* Re: StumpWM package doesn't work
@ 2016-11-27  5:59 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2016-11-27  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toni Reina; +Cc: help-guix

Toni Reina <areina@riseup.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install `sbcl-stumpwm` package and looks like it doesn't
> work correctly. It's installed with no errors, but it doesn't generate
> the stumpwm binary file.
>
> The following package will be installed:
>    sbcl-stumpwm 0.9.9   /gnu/store/z92ri0kgjdavkp7llav1db0dia44sbid-sbcl-stumpwm-0.9.9
>
> ls /gnu/store/z92ri0kgjdavkp7llav1db0dia44sbid-sbcl-stumpwm-0.9.9
> -> lib  share

It's in the "bin" output of sbcl-stumpwm package, you can get it with:

guix package -i sbcl-stumpwm:bin

* Re: StumpWM package doesn't work
@ 2016-11-27 17:13   ` Toni Reina
From: Toni Reina @ 2016-11-27 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: help-guix

It works perfectly, thank you so much.

@ 2016-11-27 20:43   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-11-27 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 宋文武; +Cc: Andy Patterson, Toni Reina, help-guix

iyzsong@member.fsf.org (宋文武) skribis:

> Toni Reina <areina@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to install `sbcl-stumpwm` package and looks like it doesn't
>> work correctly. It's installed with no errors, but it doesn't generate
>> the stumpwm binary file.
>>
>> The following package will be installed:
>>    sbcl-stumpwm 0.9.9   /gnu/store/z92ri0kgjdavkp7llav1db0dia44sbid-sbcl-stumpwm-0.9.9
>>
>> ls /gnu/store/z92ri0kgjdavkp7llav1db0dia44sbid-sbcl-stumpwm-0.9.9
>> -> lib  share
>>

> It's in the "bin" output of sbcl-stumpwm package, you can get it with:
>
> guix package -i sbcl-stumpwm:bin

It might be clearer to have an “out” and a “lib” output (instead of
“bin” and “out”).  WDYT, Andy & 宋文武?

Ludo’.

* Re: StumpWM package doesn't work
@ 2016-11-28  7:27     ` Andy Patterson
From: Andy Patterson @ 2016-11-28  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix, Toni Reina

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:43:23 +0100
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> iyzsong@member.fsf.org (宋文武) skribis:
>
> > Toni Reina <areina@riseup.net> writes:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to install `sbcl-stumpwm` package and looks like it
> >> doesn't work correctly. It's installed with no errors, but it
> >> doesn't generate the stumpwm binary file.
> >>
> >> The following package will be installed:
> >>    sbcl-stumpwm
> >> 0.9.9   /gnu/store/z92ri0kgjdavkp7llav1db0dia44sbid-sbcl-stumpwm-0.9.9
> >>
> >> ls /gnu/store/z92ri0kgjdavkp7llav1db0dia44sbid-sbcl-stumpwm-0.9.9
> >> -> lib  share
> >>

> > It's in the "bin" output of sbcl-stumpwm package, you can get it
> > with:
> >
> > guix package -i sbcl-stumpwm:bin
>
> It might be clearer to have an “out” and a “lib” output (instead of
> “bin” and “out”).  WDYT, Andy & 宋文武?

I think that would basically shift the awkwardness from package
installation over to package development, since it would then be
required that all dependants of stumpwm use the lib output in the
inputs field (but only on sbcl? - since ecl binaries aren't supported
just yet).

I think the best way to clarify things would be to merge the outputs,
although this carries a ~61MiB (~11MiB compressed) extra cost. In the
case of stumpwm, I guess that the library isn't all that useful without
the binary, so that might be ok.

Another alternative would be to create a separate package like with
sbcl-stumpwm-with-slynk.

I think what might be at the root of the issue though is that multiple
outputs aren't discoverable enough. The page at
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/package-list.html> doesn't list them
AFAICT, and entering guix package -i sbcl-stumpwm into a shell and
mashing tab only lists one entry for the package, when I think it
should be two.

I still have improvements to the CL build system brewing, so once we've
decided on something I could incorporate it into that work.

Let me know what you think.

Andy

* Re: StumpWM package doesn't work
@ 2016-11-28  9:53       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-11-28  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Patterson; +Cc: help-guix, Toni Reina

Andy Patterson <ajpatter@uwaterloo.ca> skribis:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:43:23 +0100
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>
>> iyzsong@member.fsf.org (宋文武) skribis:

>> > It's in the "bin" output of sbcl-stumpwm package, you can get it
>> > with:
>> >
>> > guix package -i sbcl-stumpwm:bin
>>
>> It might be clearer to have an “out” and a “lib” output (instead of
>> “bin” and “out”).  WDYT, Andy & 宋文武?
>
> I think that would basically shift the awkwardness from package
> installation over to package development, since it would then be
> required that all dependants of stumpwm use the lib output in the
> inputs field (but only on sbcl? - since ecl binaries aren't supported
> just yet).

OK but there’s only one dependent:

$ guix refresh -l sbcl-stumpwm
A single dependent package: sbcl-stumpwm-with-slynk-0.9.9

So I think it would be preferable to do it the way I suggest, no?

> I think the best way to clarify things would be to merge the outputs,
> although this carries a ~61MiB (~11MiB compressed) extra cost. In the
> case of stumpwm, I guess that the library isn't all that useful without
> the binary, so that might be ok.

Could be an option, but not great.

> Another alternative would be to create a separate package like with
> sbcl-stumpwm-with-slynk.
>
> I think what might be at the root of the issue though is that multiple
> outputs aren't discoverable enough. The page at
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/package-list.html> doesn't list them
> AFAICT, and entering guix package -i sbcl-stumpwm into a shell and
> mashing tab only lists one entry for the package, when I think it
> should be two.

Good points!  We can certainly address these two issues quite easily.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.

* Re: StumpWM package doesn't work
@ 2016-12-04  4:11         ` Andy Patterson
From: Andy Patterson @ 2016-12-04  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix, Toni Reina

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:53:16 +0100
ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Andy Patterson <ajpatter@uwaterloo.ca> skribis:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:43:23 +0100
> > ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
> >
> >> iyzsong@member.fsf.org (宋文武) skribis:

> >> It might be clearer to have an “out” and a “lib” output (instead of
> >> “bin” and “out”).  WDYT, Andy & 宋文武?
> >
> > I think that would basically shift the awkwardness from package
> > installation over to package development, since it would then be
> > required that all dependants of stumpwm use the lib output in the
> > inputs field (but only on sbcl? - since ecl binaries aren't
> > supported just yet).
>
> OK but there’s only one dependent:

> $ guix refresh -l sbcl-stumpwm
> A single dependent package: sbcl-stumpwm-with-slynk-0.9.9
>
> So I think it would be preferable to do it the way I suggest, no?

Sure, I agree. Packages which have a program built are more likely to
be leaves, after all.

Since there haven't been other replies, I think we've reached a
consensus. I'll work to roll this into other updates in the Lisp
packaging area, and report back.

--
Andy