all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Having a problem invoking curl only when using guix pull
@ 2019-05-14 22:23 Brian Woodcox
From: Brian Woodcox @ 2019-05-14 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I’m having problems with a piece of code.

;; Retrieve git commit date
(define get-commit-date (lambda _
  (let* ((out (open-input-pipe (format #f "curl --silent '~a'" %api-url)))
         (str (get-string-all out))
         (queryResults (json-string->scm str))
         (date (cdr (hash-get-handle (cdr (hash-get-handle (cdr (hash-get-handle queryResults "commit")) "author")) "date"))))
         (display "Contacting github for commit date...\n")
         (close-pipe out)
         date)))

This code sits above my package code and I use it to dynamically populate my some values when building my package.

Everything works great and I can install the package locally without any problems.

My issue occurs if I try to issue a guix pull to bring this in through a separate channel.

When I do that I always get /gnu/store/…-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash: curl: command not found.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

* Re: Having a problem invoking curl only when using guix pull
@ 2019-05-16  3:13 ` ison
From: ison @ 2019-05-16  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Woodcox; +Cc: help-guix

Perhaps all you need is to include the curl package in your package's
native-inputs field.

Also as a side note, I'm not entirely sure if using open-input-pipe would be
considered good practice for packages as far as reproducibility is concerned.
Perhaps someone else can comment on that.
But another option you might want to consider is using the built in web modules.
For example:

  #:use-module (web client)
  #:use-module (web uri)
    (let* ((out (call-with-values (lambda () (http-get (string->uri %api-url)))
                  (lambda (response body) body)))

I'm not sure if that's the most elegant way to do it, but it seems to work.
There's also a curl module for guile, although I'm not sure if guix will let you
import it or not.

* Re: Having a problem invoking curl only when using guix pull
@ 2019-05-16 21:49 ` Brian Woodcox
From: Brian Woodcox @ 2019-05-16 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

> Hi,
>
> I’m having problems with a piece of code.
>
> ;; Retrieve git commit date
> (define get-commit-date (lambda _
>  (let* ((out (open-input-pipe (format #f "curl --silent '~a'" %api-url)))
>         (str (get-string-all out))
>         (queryResults (json-string->scm str))
>         (date (cdr (hash-get-handle (cdr (hash-get-handle (cdr (hash-get-handle queryResults "commit")) "author")) "date"))))
>         (display "Contacting github for commit date...\n")
>         (close-pipe out)
>         date)))
>
> This code sits above my package code and I use it to dynamically populate my some values when building my package.
>
> Everything works great and I can install the package locally without any problems.
>
> My issue occurs if I try to issue a guix pull to bring this in through a separate channel.
>
> When I do that I always get /gnu/store/…-bash-minimal-4.4.23/bin/bash: curl: command not found.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

So I’ve worked on this further and I was able to get the curl command to run.

In the end, it turns out that the networking service is not available when building a package.

It’s probably not worth the trouble to make it work.

* Re: Having a problem invoking curl only when using guix pull
@ 2019-05-16 22:53 Brian Woodcox
From: Brian Woodcox @ 2019-05-16 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, ison

> Perhaps all you need is to include the curl package in your package's
> native-inputs field.
>
> Also as a side note, I'm not entirely sure if using open-input-pipe would be
> considered good practice for packages as far as reproducibility is concerned.
> Perhaps someone else can comment on that.
> But another option you might want to consider is using the built in web modules.
> For example:
>
>   #:use-module (web client)
>   #:use-module (web uri)
>     (let* ((out (call-with-values (lambda () (http-get (string->uri %api-url)))
>                   (lambda (response body) body)))
>
> I'm not sure if that's the most elegant way to do it, but it seems to work.
> There's also a curl module for guile, although I'm not sure if guix will let you
> import it or not.

Hi ison,

Unfortunately that doesn’t work, due to tls not being available.

See the bug I reported here —> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guile/2019-04/msg00008.html <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guile/2019-04/msg00008.html>

Thanks for the effort though.

Brian.

* Re: Having a problem invoking curl only when using guix pull
@ 2019-05-17  0:21 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-05-17  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Woodcox; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Brian,

Others may correct me if I’m wrong here, but during the build phase, network io is off limits. This is since there is not way to reliably guarantee the contents of things gotten over the network remain unchanged between builds, and so would break the immutability guarantees of the package system.

Again, I could be wrong, I hope others will correct me.

- John

@ 2019-05-17  0:31   ` Brian Woodcox
From: Brian Woodcox @ 2019-05-17  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix

> On May 16, 2019, at 6:21 PM, John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Others may correct me if I’m wrong here, but during the build phase, network io is off limits. This is since there is not way to reliably guarantee the contents of things gotten over the network remain unchanged between builds, and so would break the immutability guarantees of the package system.
>
> Again, I could be wrong, I hope others will correct me.
>
> - John

Hi John,

I believe you are probably correct.

I thought I would be creative :)

Brian.

* Re: Having a problem invoking curl only when using guix pull
@ 2019-05-17  1:04   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-05-17  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix