all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Xfce4 localization in Guix System for only one exact user
@ 2019-08-02 16:50 znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-08-02 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello! This is from those question people want just find one or two lines to paste in terminal and to get effect.
I did not find solution.
Please, how to make Xfce4 menus (right mouse click, maybe Main Menu) become Russian for only one user 'mom'?

As I know, packages are installing using locale settings. So, I need to configure my locale and reinstall Xfce4 (reconfigure system).

I have installed locale package as as Guix Manual says [1] with this command:

$ guix install glibc-locales
I have now 'locale' command in guix (but do not know exactly if it is provided with glibc-locales? and is it providing with glibc-utf8-locales ?):

$ locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=
And I've found in the web the way to change locale that might work on Guix System:

$ localedef -c -i ru_RU -f UTF-8 ru_RU.utf8
cannot create temporary file: /run/current-system/locale/2.28/locale-archive.g44JbZ: Read-only file system

But as I can see need to do this by sudo user. So it will change locale for entire system. But I want localize Xfce4 for only user 'mom'.
Can I do it?
[1] http://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Locales-1

* Re: Xfce4 localization in Guix System for only one exact user
@ 2019-08-02 17:14 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-08-02 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, znavko

Le 2 août 2019 18:50:23 GMT+02:00, znavko@disroot.org a écrit :
>Hello! This is from those question people want just find one or two
>lines to paste in terminal and to get effect.
>I did not find solution.
>Please, how to make Xfce4 menus (right mouse click, maybe Main Menu)
>become Russian for only one user 'mom'?
>
>As I know, packages are installing using locale settings. So, I need to
>configure my locale and reinstall Xfce4 (reconfigure system).
>
>I have installed locale package as as Guix Manual says [1] with this
>command:
>
>$ guix install glibc-locales
>I have now 'locale' command in guix (but do not know exactly if it is
>provided with glibc-locales? and is it providing with
>glibc-utf8-locales ?):
>
>$ locale
>LANG=en_US.utf8
>LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
>LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
>LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
>LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
>LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
>LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
>LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
>LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
>LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
>LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
>LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
>LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
>LC_ALL=
>And I've found in the web the way to change locale that might work on
>Guix System:
>
>$ localedef -c -i ru_RU -f UTF-8 ru_RU.utf8
>cannot create temporary file:
>/run/current-system/locale/2.28/locale-archive.g44JbZ: Read-only file
>system
>
>But as I can see need to do this by sudo user. So it will change locale
>for entire system. But I want localize Xfce4 for only user 'mom'.
>Can I do it?
>[1] http://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Locales-1

Not sure I can help. First, you don't need to generate a locale, it's already available as ru_RU.UTF-8 (or similar). Your graphical session will need to be loaded with that locale.

To do so, either set it globally with the locale field in your config.scm, or find a way to have it loaded by the user. Maybe your login manager allows you to set a locale, which might work, or configure the desktop environment to use the locale. This is not something managed by guix, but with user preferences. Maybe you will need a separate package for that (xfce4-settings or something).

Sorry I can't provide much more help.

* Re: Xfce4 localization in Guix System for only one exact user
@ 2019-08-03  9:01 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-08-03  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, help-guix

Yes, Julien, you are right!
Changing config file to this:

(operating-system ...
                  (locale "ru_RU.utf8"))

and running as root:

# guix pull
# guix package -u
# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
# guix package -u

made all my applications work on Russian: Xfce, Gimp, LibreOffice, Audacity and so on:

http://0x0.st/zOsk.png

But the next question is: how to make Russian environment only for defined user, not for all users?

You said, my DM may have it. I use Slim and did not found such configs. Also `guix search xfce` did not display something like xfce4-settings. And I did not found language settings in xfce settings manager.

My question rests unanswered.

@ 2019-08-05  0:01   ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2019-08-05  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

znavko@disroot.org writes:

> Yes, Julien, you are right!
> Changing config file to this:
>
> (operating-system ...
>                   (locale "ru_RU.utf8"))
>
> and running as root:
>
> # guix pull
> # guix package -u
> # guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
> # guix package -u
>
> made all my applications work on Russian: Xfce, Gimp, LibreOffice, Audacity and so on:
>
> http://0x0.st/zOsk.png

Yes, this changes the "LANG" system wide, in /etc/environment.

> But the next question is: how to make Russian environment only for defined user, not for all users?
>
> You said, my DM may have it. I use Slim and did not found such
> configs. Also `guix search xfce` did not display something like
> xfce4-settings. And I did not found language settings in xfce settings
> manager.
>
> My question rests unanswered.

You can create a ‘.xsession’ file in that user’s home directory, with
something like:

    #!/bin/sh
    export LANG=ru_RU.utf8
    exec "$@"

And make it executable by "chmod +x ~/.xsession".  Then when that user
login, the ‘.xsession’ will be executed.  Hope this helps!