all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
@ 2019-06-14 21:16 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-06-14 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel; +Cc: Carl Dong

Hello Guix!

I warmly warmly warmly recommend this video by Carl Dong:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iShmUTEl8

It’s a very clear explanation of the importance of reproducible builds
and bootstrappable builds for security and transparency, and as if it
weren’t enough, it even explains what functional package management is
about and why it matters.

Kudos, Carl, and thank you!

Ludo’.

* Re: “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
@ 2019-06-14 21:19 ` Ricardo Wurmus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-06-14 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Dong; +Cc: guix-devel, bootstrappable

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> I warmly warmly warmly recommend this video by Carl Dong:
>
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iShmUTEl8
>
> It’s a very clear explanation of the importance of reproducible builds
> and bootstrappable builds for security and transparency, and as if it
> weren’t enough, it even explains what functional package management is
> about and why it matters.
>
> Kudos, Carl, and thank you!

This is a great video.  Thank you, Carl!  I would like to link to it
from the bootstrappable.org website.

--
Ricardo

* Re: “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
@ 2019-06-14 21:23   ` Carl Dong
From: Carl Dong @ 2019-06-14 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, bootstrappable@freelists.org

Ricardo,

I would be honored!

Cheers,
Carl Dong
contact@carldong.me
"I fight for the users"

* Re: “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
@ 2019-06-15 10:41 ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2019-06-15 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Dong; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Carl,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> I warmly warmly warmly recommend this video by Carl Dong:
>
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iShmUTEl8

Thank you Ludo' for your warm invite :-)

[...]

> Kudos, Carl, and thank you!

The whole story of Trusting Trust from 1984 until now in 16 mins, in
plain english! Great! :-)

Carl: please can you consider releasing your video with a CC-BY-SA
license?

I'm not updated ubout the "guix-videos" [1] policy (about videos
inclusion an tech requirements) and toolchain but AFAIU your material
could be reused in an official Guix (or bootstrappable.org) video, in a
"Core concepts" section :-)

For example, I'd really like to add EN and IT subtitles to help
my friends understand the core concepts of repro+boostrap without
"Trusting Me" :-)...or worse read two or three tech papers starting from
"Trusting Trust"

To be transparent, this *could* also be a good *marketing* video: I just
have some "self brainstorming" wandering in my head since a while, just
food for thought

Anyway: thank you for your work!

Happy Guix! Gio'.

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/videos.git

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
@ 2019-06-15 11:10 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-06-15 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Guix-devel; +Cc: Carl Dong

Great video, thanks for sharing!
A lot of ideas worth spreading in there, great job Carl :D

>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iShmUTEl8

Oh, did you just share a link to a proprietary platform? ;)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
@ 2019-06-15 12:36   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-06-15 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel, Carl Dong

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Great video, thanks for sharing!
> A lot of ideas worth spreading in there, great job Carl :D
>
>>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iShmUTEl8
>
> Oh, did you just share a link to a proprietary platform? ;)

You can watch Youtube videos with free software.  I use “mpv” (when I
have a URL) or “youtube-viewer” (when I want to browse videos).

The term “proprietary platform” can lead to confusion, much like
the term “non-free service”.  The issues of software freedom don’t
exactly apply to services.  See also this article:

    https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html

--
Ricardo

* Re: “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
@ 2019-06-15 13:17   ` Carl Dong
From: Carl Dong @ 2019-06-15 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Giovanni!

> Carl: please can you consider releasing your video with a CC-BY-SA license?

Done!

> For example, I'd really like to add EN and IT subtitles to help my friends
understand the core concepts of repro+boostrap without "Trusting Me" :-)...or
worse read two or three tech papers starting from "Trusting Trust"

Haha that's exactly what I was aiming for! I'd love it if someone could put up
the subtitles, right now I'm riding on the momentum of this video so really
focusing on making builds work, but feel free to add them (I just turned on
community contributions for substitles, so let me know if you run into any
trouble).

As for putting it up as a marketing video/Guix video/Core concepts, I'd be
honored if that could be done, and if there are things that people in the
community feel I should add/clarify that doesn't sacrifice the video's
simplicity, I'd be happy to make revisions!

Cheers,
Carl Dong

* Re: “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-06-16  6:34 ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2019-06-16  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Carl Dong

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> I warmly warmly warmly recommend this video by Carl Dong:
>
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iShmUTEl8
>
> It’s a very clear explanation of the importance of reproducible builds
> and bootstrappable builds for security and transparency, and as if it
> weren’t enough, it even explains what functional package management is
> about and why it matters.
>
> Kudos, Carl, and thank you!

Carl what an amazingly clear talk, very well done and thanks!

janneke

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org
Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com

* Re: “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
@ 2019-06-16 21:17     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-06-16 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Dong; +Cc: Guix-devel

Carl Dong <contact@carldong.me> writes:

>> Carl: please can you consider releasing your video with a CC-BY-SA license?
>
> Done!

Thank you, Carl, for the excellent video, and for making it available
under a good license.  This will be a great help to educate people on an
important topic.

    Warm regards,
       Mark

* Re: “Bitcoin Build System Security” video
@ 2019-06-17  7:41     ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2019-06-17  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Dong; +Cc: Guix-devel