all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Booting GUIX in single user
@ 2019-07-24 14:22 Alexander Asteroth
From: Alexander Asteroth @ 2019-07-24 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi there,

While experimenting with Guix and installing one more package the disk of the test system filled to 100%. After shutting down the system to provide more disk to the VM, after reboot, the gdm session is indefinitely started and killed.

I tried to boot into non-x11 (level3) or single user mode but unfortunately the option I pass to Grub seems not to be recognized by the linux-libre kernel. Any hint where I find the correct boot options for a Guix System, so I can repair my system?

Thanks,
Alex

PS: one more thing. Is there any documentation about the packages? How to use them after just Guix install? After installing a package, e.g. a window manager like exam or a desktop environment like lxde additional steps are necessary for a user to use them. Can I find these steps somewhere? In particular to do the configuration such that it is compatible with the package and will not brake after updating the package to a new version.

* Re: Booting GUIX in single user
@ 2019-07-24 15:25 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-07-24 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Alexander Asteroth

Hullo Alexander,

[It's just ‘Guix’, by the way.]

Alexander Asteroth 写道:
> I tried to boot into non-x11 (level3) or single user mode but
> unfortunately the option I pass to Grub

Which option did you try?  I've happily purged all memory of which
obsolete System V run-level did which obsolete thing (and Guix
probably should, too).

> seems not to be recognized by the linux-libre kernel.

The kernel doesn't play a role here.  It's the (early) user space
that looks at the kernel's command line, and performs certain
actions when it sees (a) particular magic keyword(s).

> Any hint where I find the correct boot options for a Guix
> System, so I can repair my system?

I think the only ones are currenly ‘--load’, ‘--root’, and
‘--repl’.  The latter allows for some very rudimentary debugging
and fixing but it's not exactly pleasant.

In keeping with Guix's idiosyncratic syntax, one could add
‘--rescue’ and corresponding menu entry to only mount the root
filesystem and spawn the current system's bash shell.  What do
people think?

Soon, we'll have to add ‘--help’…

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Booting GUIX in single user
@ 2019-07-24 15:43   ` Alexander Asteroth
From: Alexander Asteroth @ 2019-07-24 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

I tried “single” and 3. Now I tried —root and it still booted into gdm.

Alex

> On 24. Jul 2019, at 17:25, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:
>
> Hullo Alexander,
>
> [It's just ‘Guix’, by the way.]
>
> Alexander Asteroth 写道:
>> I tried to boot into non-x11 (level3) or single user mode but unfortunately the option I pass to Grub
>
> Which option did you try?  I've happily purged all memory of which obsolete System V run-level did which obsolete thing (and Guix probably should, too).
>
>> seems not to be recognized by the linux-libre kernel.
>
> The kernel doesn't play a role here.  It's the (early) user space that looks at the kernel's command line, and performs certain actions when it sees (a) particular magic keyword(s).
>
>> Any hint where I find the correct boot options for a Guix System, so I can repair my system?
>
> I think the only ones are currenly ‘--load’, ‘--root’, and ‘--repl’.  The latter allows for some very rudimentary debugging and fixing but it's not exactly pleasant.
>
> In keeping with Guix's idiosyncratic syntax, one could add ‘--rescue’ and corresponding menu entry to only mount the root filesystem and spawn the current system's bash shell.  What do people think?
>
> Soon, we'll have to add ‘--help’…
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: Booting GUIX in single user
@ 2019-07-24 16:20     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
       [not found]       ` <526DB815-B154-48CF-BF30-D94A350054C9@h-brs.de>
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-07-24 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Asteroth; +Cc: help-guix

Alexander Asteroth 写道:
> I tried “single” and 3.

Thanks!  ‘single’ *might* be worth supporting as an alias,
although the preferred way to expose this would be a GRUB menu
entry and the argument wouldn't matter.

> Now I tried —root and it still booted into gdm.

I don't see why it wouldn't.  ‘--root <file name>’ specifies the
root device.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]