all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
@ 2022-04-21 17:34 Hubert Lombard
From: Hubert Lombard @ 2022-04-21 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help guix

Hello Guix!

I've been using Guix System for 4 years now, the only one installed on
my laptop.

Already the 0.14 was more stable than anything else according to my
modest estimations.

For the 10th anniversary I translated, among others, the blog
announcement
https://guix.gnu.org/fr/blog/2022/10-years-of-stories-behind-guix/

on https://debian-facile.org/viewtopic.php?pid=379708#p379708
hoping that it will attract people...

I found fascinating the testimonies of the various contributors.

Thanks to you, I was able to contribute a little to the translation of
the manual into French in 2020 I think... Thanks again to Julien for
putting up with me ;)

I must admit that it took me some time to get over it :) Then, I missed
time and energy, but this experience was so nice that I wanted to thank
you for it. It is not sure that I will translate again, but you never
know... For this purpose, I noticed the new recommendations

https://guix.gnu.org/fr/manual/devel/fr/html_node/Traduire-Guix.html#Traduire-Guix

 as well as the Weblate instance, used once or twice before the pause
of these first exciting contributions. This page is full of details and
I think it is very useful for people who want to contribute to the
translation.

Congratulations to Luis Felipe for the "10 Years ..." logo
https://guix.gnu.org/static/blog/img/10-years-of-guix_colorful-10.gif

I paint pictures with oil and acrylic paint. Once photographed, the
image processing is done with Gimp. If I put some of them under a free
license, it might be a good idea to decorate some native Guix video
games...

https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image2.php#grand-format

Also, I love the Hurd (without knowing much about it). I was amazed to
successfully install K9 in 2004, on real hardware. Without having
really used it for a long time, I was able to live some moments of pure
enchantment. A few years later, I also had the chance to exchange a few
words with Samuel Thibault at the RMLL in Bordeaux.

That's why I sometimes dream of contributing (it would be graphic
works) to guix-hurd!

For a guix-hurd logo, I could just join the two with Inkscape, adapt
the license and give a little personal touch...

What do you think? Guix is a great adventure to contribute to at any
level, and I would be happy to participate again.

You, as well as Luis Felipe, would tell me what you think...

I have a lot of technical questions, but that's for another time... :)

See you soon Guix o/

Hubert, aka user_oreloznog on #guix
--
Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website>

* Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
@ 2022-04-21 22:31 ` Haider Mirza
From: Haider Mirza @ 2022-04-21 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hubert Lombard, help guix

Hi Hubert!

> https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image2.php#grand-format
I just want to say that this painting is incredibly impressive and you
have got serious talent.

> That's why I sometimes dream of contributing (it would be graphic
> works) to guix-hurd!
I would love to see such a thing but I am not one to suggest a official
answer to that.

Either way, keep up the amazing work!
Haider.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
@ 2022-04-22  8:39   ` Hubert Lombard
From: Hubert Lombard @ 2022-04-22  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haider Mirza, help guix

Hi Haider!

Thank you so much for your encouragement, I learned to make some tests:

https://www.hubert-lombard.website/guix/html/Guix-horizontal-white-plus-Hurd.svg

Regards,

Hubert

Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website>

[-- Attachment #1.2: Message transféré — Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :) --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6421 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 410 bytes --]

Hi Hubert!

> https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image2.php#grand-format
I just want to say that this painting is incredibly impressive and you
have got serious talent.

> That's why I sometimes dream of contributing (it would be graphic
> works) to guix-hurd!
I would love to see such a thing but I am not one to suggest a official
answer to that.

Either way, keep up the amazing work!
Haider.

[-- Attachment #1.2.1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
@ 2022-04-23 16:23 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-04-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hubert Lombard; +Cc: help guix

Hi Hubert,

On Thursday, April 21st, 2022 at 5:34 PM, Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website> wrote:

> Congratulations to Luis Felipe for the "10 Years ..." logo
> https://guix.gnu.org/static/blog/img/10-years-of-guix_colorful-10.gif

Thanks :)

> I paint pictures with oil and acrylic paint. Once photographed, the
> image processing is done with Gimp. If I put some of them under a free
> license, it might be a good idea to decorate some native Guix video
> games...

I think they could work for many things. I particularly liked these:

https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image5.php#grand-format
https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image8.php#grand-format
https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image12.php#grand-format
https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image13.php#grand-format

> Also, I love the Hurd (without knowing much about it). I was amazed to
> successfully install K9 in 2004, on real hardware. Without having
> really used it for a long time, I was able to live some moments of pure
> enchantment. A few years later, I also had the chance to exchange a few
> words with Samuel Thibault at the RMLL in Bordeaux.
>

> That's why I sometimes dream of contributing (it would be graphic
> works) to guix-hurd!

I don't paint much but looking at your landscapes I could picture a warm savanna and a herd of wildebeest running in the distance. I think that could make for a nice background.

> What do you think? Guix is a great adventure to contribute to at any
> level, and I would be happy to participate again.

I don't see why not. Traditional and digital media can be mixed :)

Personally, what I do is sketch ideas (pencil/pen on paper) whenever Guile or Guix activity makes me imagine something. I keep them around. When the time comes (a Guix event, a request from Guix people, etc.), I go through the sketches, sketch more if necessary, scan the ones I think that could work and develop them further in Inkscape (and MyPaint and GIMP). When one of the pieces passes my own quality standards, I send a proposal.

One part where I think graphics help a lot is when posting on the Fediverse, for example. There's a lot of activity over there and text-only posts may just look like water in the stream. Posts with graphics, screenshots, etc., stand out. I sometimes propose graphics to Guix users and contributors posting about their own initiatives there (packaging meetups, documentation meetups). And I post independently too.

Hope that helps,

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
@ 2022-04-23 17:52   ` Hubert Lombard
From: Hubert Lombard @ 2022-04-23 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help guix

Hi Luis !

>I think they could work for many things. I particularly liked these:
>
>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image5.php#grand-format
>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image8.php#grand-format
>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image12.php#grand-format
>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image13.php#grand-format

Thanks a lot for your answer :) These are indeed screens that could be
useful...
I'll put them under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0
International License.
I saw a video of a Guix user talking about his video game, it motivated
me to
to talk about it here... If I find out who it is, I'll contact him.

>I don't paint much, but looking at your landscapes, I picture a warm
>savanna and a herd of wildebeest running in the distance. I think it
>would make a nice background.

>Traditional and digital media can be mixed :)

Yes, that's what I think too! Plus, I can take different graphic parts
and isolate them (for creative reuses).

>Personally, what I do is draw ideas (pen/pencil on paper) whenever
>Guile or Mistletoe's activity makes me imagine something. I keep them
>handy. When the time is right (a Guix event, a request from the Guix
>folks, etc.), I go through the sketches, draw more if necessary, scan
>the ones I think might work, and develop them further in Inkscape (and
>MyPaint and GIMP). When one of the pieces meets my own quality
>criteria, I send a proposal.

Which is a great way to go... I think that with a little organization I
could go a little in the same direction... He he! Guix System is also a
good choice for artists ;)

>One part where I think graphics help a lot is when posting on the
>Fediverse, for example. There's a lot of activity there and text-only
>posts can look like water over time. Posts with graphics, screenshots,
>etc. stand out. I sometimes offer graphics to Guix users and
>contributors who post their own initiatives (packaging meetings,
>documentation meetings). And I also post independently.

I didn't know, I will take a closer look, I still have some discoveries
to make ;)...

>I hope this helps,

Your welcoming response reinforces my aspirations to contribute!

While I'm waiting to see what it might look like for a video game, I've
been focusing on the first attempts at a possible 'guix-hurd' logo! (In
the link below)

https://www.hubert-lombard.website/guix/html/A-guix-hurd-logo.html

See you soon :) o/

Hubert

--
Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website>

[-- Attachment #1.2: Message transféré — Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :) --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 10564 bytes --]

From: Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com>
To: Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website>
Cc: help guix <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 16:23:23 +0000

[-- Attachment #1.2.1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2517 bytes --]

Hi Hubert,

On Thursday, April 21st, 2022 at 5:34 PM, Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website> wrote:

> Congratulations to Luis Felipe for the "10 Years ..." logo
> https://guix.gnu.org/static/blog/img/10-years-of-guix_colorful-10.gif

Thanks :)

> I paint pictures with oil and acrylic paint. Once photographed, the
> image processing is done with Gimp. If I put some of them under a free
> license, it might be a good idea to decorate some native Guix video
> games...

I think they could work for many things. I particularly liked these:

https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image5.php#grand-format
https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image8.php#grand-format
https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image12.php#grand-format
https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image13.php#grand-format

> Also, I love the Hurd (without knowing much about it). I was amazed to
> successfully install K9 in 2004, on real hardware. Without having
> really used it for a long time, I was able to live some moments of pure
> enchantment. A few years later, I also had the chance to exchange a few
> words with Samuel Thibault at the RMLL in Bordeaux.
>

> That's why I sometimes dream of contributing (it would be graphic
> works) to guix-hurd!

I don't paint much but looking at your landscapes I could picture a warm savanna and a herd of wildebeest running in the distance. I think that could make for a nice background.

> What do you think? Guix is a great adventure to contribute to at any
> level, and I would be happy to participate again.

I don't see why not. Traditional and digital media can be mixed :)

Personally, what I do is sketch ideas (pencil/pen on paper) whenever Guile or Guix activity makes me imagine something. I keep them around. When the time comes (a Guix event, a request from Guix people, etc.), I go through the sketches, sketch more if necessary, scan the ones I think that could work and develop them further in Inkscape (and MyPaint and GIMP). When one of the pieces passes my own quality standards, I send a proposal.

One part where I think graphics help a lot is when posting on the Fediverse, for example. There's a lot of activity over there and text-only posts may just look like water in the stream. Posts with graphics, screenshots, etc., stand out. I sometimes propose graphics to Guix users and contributors posting about their own initiatives there (packaging meetups, documentation meetups). And I post independently too.

Hope that helps,

[-- Attachment #1.2.1.1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.1.2: OpenPGP digital signature --]

* Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
@ 2022-05-02  9:00 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-05-02  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hubert Lombard, help guix

Hi Hubert,

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 at 19:34, Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website> wrote:

> https://debian-facile.org/viewtopic.php?pid=379708#p379708

Really cool!  Thank you.

> hoping that it will attract people...

Since you did the hard work, maybe the translation could land to:

     <https://linuxfr.org/>

as « dépêches », WDYT?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Impressions after 4 years of using Guix ( + guix-hurd logo ?) :)
@ 2022-05-12  3:26     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-05-12  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hubert Lombard; +Cc: Luis Felipe, help guix

Hi Hubert,

Hubert Lombard <contact@hubert-lombard.website> writes:

> Hi Luis !
>
>>I think they could work for many things. I particularly liked these:
>>
>>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image5.php#grand-format
>>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image8.php#grand-format
>>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image12.php#grand-format
>>https://www.hubert-lombard.website/image13.php#grand-format

Wow!  That is serious talent.  It looks stunning!

Like Luis, I think a GNU-themed painting of yours could make for a
beautiful desktop background image for GNU Guix.

No pressure, just ideas and encouragement :-)

Thanks for sharing,

Maxim