all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* PinePhone Pro & Guix
@ 2022-12-22 10:22 Science Fiction
From: Science Fiction @ 2022-12-22 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all, I'm trying to write a guix code that will generate images for
pinephone pro. Can anyone share the config .scm file if anyone has done it?
Thanks.

* Re: PinePhone Pro & Guix
@ 2022-12-24 20:18 ` phodina
From: phodina @ 2022-12-24 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Science Fiction; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

> Hi all, I'm trying to write a guix code that will generate images for
> pinephone pro. Can anyone share the config .scm file if anyone has done it?
> Thanks.

I do have same interest in mind. The bigger issue I'd say is to have working mobile UI environment as the console would otherwise be useless.

There are two possibilites:
- Plasma mobile [1][2]
- Phosh [3][4]

None of the above currently works in Guix.

Recently also Gnome Shell, but that I haven't yet tested. [5]

After these environments are running in Guix we can look into the hardware. The biggest drawback I'd say is that's still development platform. Sure you can use it daily but the mileage varies from Android or iOS (mainly power and peripherals such as camera)[6]. Though the work already done is amazing and continues to improve!

Besides the code not yet being merged in the upstream kernel there's another issue.

Without the issue you won't be able to have bluetooth, WiFI, USB peripherals (probably more like fingerprint, nfc).

Definitely having libre phone is admirable goal but it's not possible under current circumstances.

The best way is to have Guix on foreign distibution.

There's similar project in the NixOS world, might check that. [7]

Or just use PostmarketOS. [8][9]

The last issue is probably running Android apps using Waydroid. [10]

FIY I've been putting together the definition for the Pine64 products on nonguix channel :-)

1 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57608
2 https://plasma-mobile.org/
3 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44400
4 https://puri.sm/posts/phosh-overview/
5 https://blogs.gnome.org/shell-dev/2022/09/09/gnome-shell-on-mobile-an-update/
6 https://tuxphones.com/pinephone-pro-sony-imx258-camera-demo-samples-mainline-linux/
7 https://mobile.nixos.org/
8 https://postmarketos.org/
9 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49577
10 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/51737

----
Petr

* Re: PinePhone Pro & Guix
@ 2022-12-24 21:30   ` david larsson
From: david larsson @ 2022-12-24 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina
  Cc: Science Fiction, help-guix,
	help-guix-bounces+someone=selfhosted.xyz

On 2022-12-24 21:18, phodina wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Hi all, I'm trying to write a guix code that will generate images for
>> pinephone pro. Can anyone share the config .scm file if anyone has
>> done it?
>> Thanks.
>
> I do have same interest in mind. The bigger issue I'd say is to have
> working mobile UI environment as the console would otherwise be
> useless.
>
> There are two possibilites:
> - Plasma mobile [1][2]
> - Phosh [3][4]
>
> None of the above currently works in Guix.
>
> Recently also Gnome Shell, but that I haven't yet tested. [5]
>
> After these environments are running in Guix we can look into the
> hardware. The biggest drawback I'd say is that's still development
> platform. Sure you can use it daily but the mileage varies from
> Android or iOS (mainly power and peripherals such as camera)[6].
> Though the work already done is amazing and continues to improve!
>
> Besides the code not yet being merged in the upstream kernel there's
> another issue.
>
> Without the issue you won't be able to have bluetooth, WiFI, USB
> peripherals (probably more like fingerprint, nfc).
>
> Definitely having libre phone is admirable goal but it's not possible
> under current circumstances.
>
> The best way is to have Guix on foreign distibution.
>
> There's similar project in the NixOS world, might check that. [7]
>
> Or just use PostmarketOS. [8][9]
>
> The last issue is probably running Android apps using Waydroid. [10]
>
> FIY I've been putting together the definition for the Pine64 products
> on nonguix channel :-)
>
> 1 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57608
> 2 https://plasma-mobile.org/
> 3 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44400
> 4 https://puri.sm/posts/phosh-overview/
> 5
> https://blogs.gnome.org/shell-dev/2022/09/09/gnome-shell-on-mobile-an-update/
> 6
> https://tuxphones.com/pinephone-pro-sony-imx258-camera-demo-samples-mainline-linux/
> 7 https://mobile.nixos.org/
> 8 https://postmarketos.org/
> 9 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49577
> 10 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/51737
>
> ----
> Petr

I wonder if Sway would be a good option to try? There are plenty
packages related to Sway that are already in Guix.
https://github.com/Dejvino/pinephone-sway-poc

Best regards,
David

* Re: PinePhone Pro & Guix
@ 2022-12-24 23:21     ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2022-12-24 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: david larsson, phodina; +Cc: Science Fiction, help-guix

On 2022-12-24, david larsson wrote:
> On 2022-12-24 21:18, phodina wrote:
>>> Hi all, I'm trying to write a guix code that will generate images for
>>> pinephone pro. Can anyone share the config .scm file if anyone has
>>> done it?
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> I do have same interest in mind. The bigger issue I'd say is to have
>> working mobile UI environment as the console would otherwise be
>> useless.
>>
>> There are two possibilites:
>> - Plasma mobile [1][2]
>> - Phosh [3][4]
> I wonder if Sway would be a good option to try? There are plenty
> packages related to Sway that are already in Guix.
> https://github.com/Dejvino/pinephone-sway-poc

There is sxmo, which is basically i3 or sway targeted at mobile:

  https://sxmo.org/

I suspect many of the pieces are already in Guix, and the remaining ones
are likely fairly simple to package... compared with gnome/phosh or
kde/plasma.

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: PinePhone Pro & Guix
@ 2022-12-24 23:35   ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2022-12-24 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina, Science Fiction; +Cc: help-guix

On 2022-12-24, phodina wrote:
>> Hi all, I'm trying to write a guix code that will generate images for
>> pinephone pro. Can anyone share the config .scm file if anyone has done it?
>> Thanks.
> After these environments are running in Guix we can look into the
> hardware. The biggest drawback I'd say is that's still development
> platform. Sure you can use it daily but the mileage varies from
> Android or iOS (mainly power and peripherals such as
> camera)[6]. Though the work already done is amazing and continues to
> improve!
>
> Besides the code not yet being merged in the upstream kernel there's
> another issue.
>
> Without the issue you won't be able to have bluetooth, WiFI, USB
> peripherals (probably more like fingerprint, nfc).

I did briefly maintain a patched kernel for PineBookPro in guix master
for a while until support was upstreamed. I think the old
wip-pinebook-pro branch before it was merged is still in the guix git
repository, if you want to peek at it. It is a similar platform
(rk3399), so some of the basic support is already in the regular
linux-libre kernel guix provides.

I also recently started a similar wip-mnt-reform branch, which just has
a patched linux-libre 6.0 kernel, for something more recent. It is not
as similar of a platform, but it demonstrates at least one way to apply
custom patches and custom kernel configuration for an aarch64/arm64
system.

Not sure how big the current patchset is against mainline for
PinePhonePro. It is not terribly hard as long as the substitute servers
are keeping up with the linux-libre tarballs... and if you can reduce
the patchset to something somewhat reasonable(ideally patches moving
upstream), you can probably merge it into guix master, and get
substitutes too. :)

I'll admit part of the appeal of Guix for me was that it was easier than
Debian to maintain patched kernels for arm hardware support for a
variety of reasons... although of course, some things turned out to be
harder.

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: PinePhone Pro & Guix
@ 2022-12-29  1:45   ` Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli @ 2022-12-29  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: phodina; +Cc: Science Fiction, help-guix

On Sat, 24 Dec 2022 20:18:30 +0000
phodina <phodina@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
Hi,

> > Hi all, I'm trying to write a guix code that will generate images
> > for pinephone pro. Can anyone share the config .scm file if anyone
> > has done it? Thanks.
>
> I do have same interest in mind. The bigger issue I'd say is to have
> working mobile UI environment as the console would otherwise be
> useless.
>
> There are two possibilites:
> - Plasma mobile [1][2]
> - Phosh [3][4]
If people buy the keyboard addon it's also possible to use additional
environments like sxmo that was mentioned before (an environment that
works 100% with a keyboard).

> After these environments are running in Guix we can look into the
> hardware. The biggest drawback I'd say is that's still development
> platform.
Users probably just need to be aware of it[1].

> Sure you can use it daily but the mileage varies from
> Android or iOS (mainly power and peripherals such as camera)[6].
> Though the work already done is amazing and continues to improve!
>
> Besides the code not yet being merged in the upstream kernel there's
> another issue.
That would be an issue indeed. Though if packages are added, it might
be possible to easily support the Pinephone (the not-pro version) or
other smartphones with upstream kernels.

> FIY I've been putting together the definition for the Pine64 products
> on nonguix channel :-)
With a little amount of work, it might be possible to use Pine64 devices
supported by upstream Linux and u-boot. And as I understand, there is
not a lot of packaging to do for the Pinephone, so it might also
benefit other phones, or at least show how to do it in a way that works.

Though having everything packaged will not magically adapt
all the applications to a very small screen with a very high resolution
for instance, or magically port free software Android applications to
GNU/Linux. Some Android applications will also not work with Waydroid
if they require hardware features that Waydroid doesn't support yet
(like telephony for the "silence" application).

Another issue might be that not everything cross compile fine in Guix,
and cross compiling from x86_64 is needed so to have downloadable images
like for the Pinebook PRO[2].

Though things could be done in two stages where once the image is
installed, the users would then just use guix system reconfigure to
install additional packages.

[1]https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone#Thermal_safety
[2]https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/latest/

Denis.

* Re: PinePhone Pro & Guix
       [not found] ` <mailman.16844.1672287760.1249.help-guix@gnu.org>
@ 2022-12-29  5:02   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-12-29  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: phodina, GNUtoo, forevercomputerr, fahree

Hi,

I sent all three sxmo packages from guixrus for review:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60394
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60395
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60396

best,