all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How Can We Make G-Expressions Even More Interactive At The REPL?
@ 2023-05-26  1:19 jgart
From: jgart @ 2023-05-26  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guixers,

How can we make g-expressions even more interactive at the REPL?

For example, thing to explore is what can we print instead of '(*approximate*)?

Just brainstorming/listing. Let me know if there is some previous thread I should be reading.

ps

WDYT if we had even more convenience meta-commands for interactive development with g-expressions?

* Re: How Can We Make G-Expressions Even More Interactive At The REPL?
@ 2023-05-26  7:41 ` (
From: ( @ 2023-05-26  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: guix-devel

"jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> writes:
> Hi Guixers,
>
> How can we make g-expressions even more interactive at the REPL?
>
> For example, thing to explore is what can we print instead of '(*approximate*)?

It's physically impossible to print anything other than a placeholder
there without actually building any derivations, which is the thing
GEXP->APPROXIMATE-SEXP is supposed to /avoid/ :)

> WDYT if we had even more convenience meta-commands for interactive development with g-expressions?

You'd need to give some concrete examples; what can't you do now that
you think could be a good REPL command?

  -- (

* Re: How Can We Make G-Expressions Even More Interactive At The REPL?
@ 2023-05-26 10:39   ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-05-26 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: jgart, guix-devel

"(" <paren@disroot.org> writes:

> "jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> writes:
>> Hi Guixers,
>>
>> How can we make g-expressions even more interactive at the REPL?
>>
>> For example, thing to explore is what can we print instead of '(*approximate*)?
>
> It's physically impossible to print anything other than a placeholder
> there without actually building any derivations, which is the thing
> GEXP->APPROXIMATE-SEXP is supposed to /avoid/ :)
>
>> WDYT if we had even more convenience meta-commands for interactive development with g-expressions?
>
> You'd need to give some concrete examples; what can't you do now that
> you think could be a good REPL command?
>
>   -- (

I would very much welcome if the REPL commands (like ,build) were actual
first class functions, because right now it's quite a hassle to write
Guile scripts that depend on the output of a build.
Motivation: I'm trying to hack together a helper script that detects
generated OPAM dependency lists.