all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* nginx et .htaccess
@ 2018-05-04 13:29 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2018-05-04 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I would like to set up a web server with a password (only one user and
the associated password), in the same way as the .htaccess file does for
apache.

When looking on the web, there are examples how to do this with Ubuntu etc.,
by adding a file somewhere to /etc (with the hashed password) and editing a
line in the configuration file.

Does our nginx configuration allow us to do the same?

Andreas

* Re: nginx et .htaccess
@ 2018-05-04 16:14 ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-05-04 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to set up a web server with a password (only one user and
> the associated password), in the same way as the .htaccess file does for
> apache.
>
> When looking on the web, there are examples how to do this with Ubuntu etc.,
> by adding a file somewhere to /etc (with the hashed password) and editing a
> line in the configuration file.
>
> Does our nginx configuration allow us to do the same?

I do the same with my nginx configuration:

(nginx-server-configuration
      (listen '("443 ssl" "[::]:443 ssl"))
      (server-name (list "foo.org"))
      (root "/var/www/foo")
      (locations
       (list
        (nginx-location-configuration
         (uri "/")
         (body (list "index index.html;"
                     "auth_basic \"closed site\";"
                     ;; needs to be set manually
                     "auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/htpasswd;")))))
      (ssl-certificate ...)
      (ssl-certificate-key ...))

/etc/nginx/htpasswd may contain:
user:<hashed-pwd>

(I don't remember how to generate that hashed password.)

Clément

* Re: nginx et .htaccess
@ 2018-07-08 15:45   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2018-07-08 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Clément,

I think I never replied to your kind e-mail, apologies!

On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 06:14:09PM +0200, Clément Lassieur wrote:
> I do the same with my nginx configuration:
>
> (nginx-server-configuration
>       (listen '("443 ssl" "[::]:443 ssl"))
>       (server-name (list "foo.org"))
>       (root "/var/www/foo")
>       (locations
>        (list
>         (nginx-location-configuration
>          (uri "/")
>          (body (list "index index.html;"
>                      "auth_basic \"closed site\";"
>                      ;; needs to be set manually
>                      "auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/htpasswd;")))))
>       (ssl-certificate ...)
>       (ssl-certificate-key ...))
>
> /etc/nginx/htpasswd may contain:
> user:<hashed-pwd>

This worked well, indeed, thanks a lot! It did not even occur to me that
I could store state somewhere on the machine and use it in my operating
system declaration...

Andreas

* Re: nginx et .htaccess
@ 2018-07-08 16:27     ` Clément Lassieur