all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Geiser manual lookups broken with Guile
@ 2019-01-17 18:15 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-17 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I've been annoyed by this issue ever since I started using Guile and
today I finally found time to get to the root of it:

https://gitlab.com/jaor/geiser/issues/252

Since there are a lot of Guile+Geiser users in this community, I'm
wondering if you people experience the same issue.

Anyone?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Geiser manual lookups broken with Guile
@ 2019-01-17 19:23 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-01-17 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> I've been annoyed by this issue ever since I started using Guile and
> today I finally found time to get to the root of it:
>
> https://gitlab.com/jaor/geiser/issues/252
>
> Since there are a lot of Guile+Geiser users in this community, I'm
> wondering if you people experience the same issue.

If no documentation is shown at all and a Guile REPL is connected to
your Emacs buffer, then you need to load some modules in the REPL
session first.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Geiser manual lookups broken with Guile
@ 2019-01-17 20:15   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-17 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

> If no documentation is shown at all and a Guile REPL is connected to
> your Emacs buffer, then you need to load some modules in the REPL
> session first.

Done, but I don't think that's the issue.  I guess completion and "edit symbol"
in the REPL, but no manual lookup.

--

@ 2019-01-18 10:14   ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-01-18 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 2019-01-17 20:23, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:
>
>> I've been annoyed by this issue ever since I started using Guile and
>> today I finally found time to get to the root of it:
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/jaor/geiser/issues/252
>>
>> Since there are a lot of Guile+Geiser users in this community, I'm
>> wondering if you people experience the same issue.
>
> If no documentation is shown at all and a Guile REPL is connected to
> your Emacs buffer, then you need to load some modules in the REPL
> session first.

A ha! Now it works better.
I typed in this:
",use(guix)"
and now it shows me docstrings from guix. 😀

Would it be possible to do this automatically?

A separate chapter in the manual of geiser for setup with guile+guix
would be really nice.

A few questions unanswered by the manual comes here:
1. If I edit a buffer a.scm and attach a repl with run-guile, can this
repl be attached also to a buffer b.scm or do I to run-guile a second time?

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: Geiser manual lookups broken with Guile
@ 2019-01-19  3:37     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2019-01-19  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: help-guix

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:

> On 2019-01-17 20:23, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>
>> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:
>>
>>> I've been annoyed by this issue ever since I started using Guile and
>>> today I finally found time to get to the root of it:
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.com/jaor/geiser/issues/252
>>>
>>> Since there are a lot of Guile+Geiser users in this community, I'm
>>> wondering if you people experience the same issue.
>>
>> If no documentation is shown at all and a Guile REPL is connected to
>> your Emacs buffer, then you need to load some modules in the REPL
>> session first.
>
> A ha! Now it works better.
> I typed in this:
> ",use(guix)"
> and now it shows me docstrings from guix. 😀
>
> Would it be possible to do this automatically?

I usually use C-c C-a, which is bound to
(geiser-mode-switch-to-repl-and-enter). It starts a Guile REPL if it wasn't
already, and enters the module corresponding to that of the buffer you
are visiting.

HTH!

Maxim

* Re: Geiser manual lookups broken with Guile
@ 2019-01-19 16:43 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2019-01-19 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> I've been annoyed by this issue ever since I started using Guile and
> today I finally found time to get to the root of it:
>
> https://gitlab.com/jaor/geiser/issues/252
>
> Since there are a lot of Guile+Geiser users in this community, I'm
> wondering if you people experience the same issue.
>
> Anyone?

Yep, I've often been unable to lookup some Guile documented features
using C-d d in Geiser... That must be the reason.

Thanks for digging into it!

Maxim

* Re: Geiser manual lookups broken with Guile
@ 2019-01-19 22:09 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-01-19 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:

> I've been annoyed by this issue ever since I started using Guile and
> today I finally found time to get to the root of it:
>
> https://gitlab.com/jaor/geiser/issues/252
>
> Since there are a lot of Guile+Geiser users in this community, I'm
> wondering if you people experience the same issue.

I’ve had this problem for a while as well and I’m happy someone came up
with a fix.  Perhaps you should ping Jao in that issue!  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Geiser manual lookups broken with Guile
@ 2019-01-20 20:17   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-01-20 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix