all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Release 1.2.1: python2-pylibmc and libmemcached
@ 2021-03-11 12:18 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-03-11 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel, Maxim Cournoyer, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice

Hi,

Currently the package Python 2 python2-pylibmc fails to build because
Cuirass fails to build the dependency libmemcached.  However, this
package libmemcached locally builds.

Well, I think it fails because this test:

     CXXLD    tests/libmemcached-1.0/testapp
  |XFAIL: tests/libmemcached-1.0/testapp

takes ages.  Does it make sense to add something like:

      (properties
       `((max-silent-time . 14400))) ; 4 hours, expected even on x86_64

or do we simply remove python2-pylibmc and libmemcached?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Release 1.2.1: python2-pylibmc and libmemcached
@ 2021-03-14  1:58 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-03-14  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Simon,

> Hi,
>
> Currently the package Python 2 python2-pylibmc fails to build because
> Cuirass fails to build the dependency libmemcached.  However, this
> package libmemcached locally builds.
>
> Well, I think it fails because this test:
>
>      CXXLD    tests/libmemcached-1.0/testapp
>   |XFAIL: tests/libmemcached-1.0/testapp
>

> takes ages.  Does it make sense to add something like:
>
>       (properties
>        `((max-silent-time . 14400))) ; 4 hours, expected even on x86_64
>
> or do we simply remove python2-pylibmc and libmemcached?

Why would we remove libmemcached?  Python 2 is obsolete, but
libmemcached still seems like a fine package to have in Guix.  I say, if
the above change is enough to have it built by the CI, I think it's what
we should do :-).

Thank you,

Maxim

* Re: Release 1.2.1: python2-pylibmc and libmemcached
@ 2021-03-15  8:52   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-03-15  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 20:58, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:

>> takes ages.  Does it make sense to add something like:
>>
>>       (properties
>>        `((max-silent-time . 14400))) ; 4 hours, expected even on x86_64

> libmemcached still seems like a fine package to have in Guix.  I say, if
> the above change is enough to have it built by the CI, I think it's what
> we should do :-).

On my machine, the build of libmemcached takes ~5min without the tests.
And with the test suite, it takes ~570min.  Well, I have been too lazy
to remove the offending test which takes ages, and compare.  I do not
know if Cuirass fails to build (time-out?) because an incorrect
’max-silent-time’ by default or because another parameter specific to
Cuirass.

@ 2021-03-16 11:48     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2021-03-16 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Guix Devel, Mathieu Othacehe

Hi Simon,

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 20:58, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> takes ages.  Does it make sense to add something like:
>>>
>>>       (properties
>>>        `((max-silent-time . 14400))) ; 4 hours, expected even on x86_64
>
>> libmemcached still seems like a fine package to have in Guix.  I say, if
>> the above change is enough to have it built by the CI, I think it's what
>> we should do :-).
>
> On my machine, the build of libmemcached takes ~5min without the tests.
> And with the test suite, it takes ~570min.  Well, I have been too lazy
> to remove the offending test which takes ages, and compare.  I do not
> know if Cuirass fails to build (time-out?) because an incorrect
> ’max-silent-time’ by default or because another parameter specific to
> Cuirass.

I went ahead and disabled the test suite for libmemcached in commit
9bab0950f7; the tests taking a lot of time were already marked as
expected to fail so it wasn't providing that much value to start with.

Thanks for the report!

Maxim