all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Does Guix publish work with mDNS?
@ 2018-01-10  7:00 Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-01-10  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I could have sworn that Guix publish worked over mDNS, but I can't find
any emails or manual sections to confirm this.  Am I mistaken?

By "Guix publish works over mDNS," I mean that if I publish substitutes
on one machine in my network, then other machines on my network will
discover the publishing endpoint via mDNS and use it transparently like
any other substitute server (assuming that my network is configured to
allow mDNS to operate normally).

Perhaps I only dreamed it?

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Does Guix publish work with mDNS?
@ 2018-01-12  1:03 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2018-01-12  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich, guix-devel

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

> By "Guix publish works over mDNS," I mean that if I publish substitutes
> on one machine in my network, then other machines on my network will
> discover the publishing endpoint via mDNS and use it transparently like
> any other substitute server (assuming that my network is configured to
> allow mDNS to operate normally).
>
> Perhaps I only dreamed it?

I'm afraid it was only a dream.  I've seen Ludo speculate this
possibility a couple of times, but AFAIK it is still not implemented.

With FOSDEM (and its congested wifi) nearing in, imagine being able to
download untrusted substitutes from your neighbour (as long as they
advertiste the same output as Hydra).  Close, but no cigar yet!

@ 2018-01-12  7:36   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-01-12  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Perhaps I only dreamed it?
>
> I'm afraid it was only a dream.

Perhaps someday it, or something like it, will be real!  :-)

Thank you for the reply.

--

@ 2018-01-16 11:13   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-01-16 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:

> Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> By "Guix publish works over mDNS," I mean that if I publish substitutes
>> on one machine in my network, then other machines on my network will
>> discover the publishing endpoint via mDNS and use it transparently like
>> any other substitute server (assuming that my network is configured to
>> allow mDNS to operate normally).
>>
>> Perhaps I only dreamed it?
>
> I'm afraid it was only a dream.  I've seen Ludo speculate this
> possibility a couple of times, but AFAIK it is still not implemented.

Indeed, it’s pure speculation at this point.  :-)

I wrote about it here:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2017/reproducible-builds-a-status-update/

That said, it Wouldn’t be Hard™ to support it, via Guile-Avahi or
something.

Ludo’.