all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HFS+ write support (packaging hfsprogs?)
@ 2019-03-25  7:51 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-03-25  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi!

I have this external drive formatted in HFS+ (Apple's filesystem).
I'd like to write to it.

It seems that I'd need the hfsprogs package (to be confirmed).
It's under APSL license.

The discussion here:

  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/hfsprogs/

underlines that the original source code is not meant to be compiled on
GNU/Linux (to be confirmed) and that it requires a fork and some
patches.

Thoughts?
If no one sees a problem with it, I'll package it.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: HFS+ write support (packaging hfsprogs?)
@ 2019-04-03  7:32 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-04-03  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> I have this external drive formatted in HFS+ (Apple's filesystem).
> I'd like to write to it.
>
> It seems that I'd need the hfsprogs package (to be confirmed).
> It's under APSL license.
>
> [...]
>
> Thoughts?

The APSL v2 (but not v1, apparently) is a free software license:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#apsl2
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html

So, as long as hfsprogs is available under the APSL v2 and it does not
contain any thing that might go against the FSDG (e.g., "A free system
distribution must not steer users towards obtaining any nonfree
information for practical use, or encourage them to do so."), it's
probably OK to include in Guix.

For reference, the FSDG can be found here:

https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

--
Chris

@ 2019-04-03  8:06   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-04-03  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks for proof-checking, Chris!

hfsprogs is APSL 2.0 indeed (I just checked in the source code).
I'll go ahead and package it then.

--

@ 2019-04-04 16:56     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-04-04 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)