all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Way to synchronize files like Dropbox
@ 2019-04-12  7:43 Adam Mazurkiewicz
From: Adam Mazurkiewicz @ 2019-04-12  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

What is the way to synchronize files with a remote storage like
Dropbox? I work in several places and I need to get the same document
files in these places. On Debian I was using just Dropbox. I need a
free solution from Guixsd.

--
trzczy

* Re: Way to synchronize files like Dropbox
@ 2019-04-12 13:17 ` John Soo
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Soo @ 2019-04-12 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Mazurkiewicz; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Adam,

I’ve heard good things about syncthing. I do have to say I’ve not used it, myself.

- John

> On Apr 12, 2019, at 12:43 AM, Adam Mazurkiewicz <trzczy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What is the way to synchronize files with a remote storage like
> Dropbox? I work in several places and I need to get the same document
> files in these places. On Debian I was using just Dropbox. I need a
> free solution from Guixsd.
>

> --
> trzczy

* Re: Way to synchronize files like Dropbox
@ 2019-04-12 13:36 ` mikadoZero
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: mikadoZero @ 2019-04-12 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Mazurkiewicz; +Cc: help-guix

You could look into:

* rsync
* duplicity
* syncthing

@ 2019-04-12 14:23   ` zloster
From: zloster @ 2019-04-12 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I haven't tried this one:

https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader

But I like the idea - command-line script. Nothing fancy. Should run on
any system with Bash and curl on them.

@ 2019-04-12 14:38     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-04-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, zloster

Le 12 avril 2019 16:23:48 GMT+02:00, zloster <more@edno.moe> a écrit :
>I haven't tried this one:
>
>https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader
>
>But I like the idea - command-line script. Nothing fancy. Should run on
>
>any system with Bash and curl on them.
>

>On 12.04.2019 16:36, mikadoZero wrote:
>> You could look into:
>>
>> * rsync
>> * duplicity
>> * syncthing
>>
>> Adam Mazurkiewicz writes:
>>
>>> What is the way to synchronize files with a remote storage like
>>> Dropbox? I work in several places and I need to get the same
>document
>>> files in these places. On Debian I was using just Dropbox. I need a
>>> free solution from Guixsd.

We have owncloud-client, which also works with nextcloud. If you find a service provider or host it yourself.

HTH

* Re: Way to synchronize files like Dropbox
@ 2019-04-12 16:05   ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2019-04-12 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikadoZero, Adam Mazurkiewicz; +Cc: help-guix

mikadoZero <mikadozero@yandex.com> writes:

> You could look into:
>
> * rsync
> * duplicity
> * syncthing

if you can ssh to remote hosts, unison is an alternative

...or better use git-annex: install it and try it with "git annex
webapp"; it supports remote ssh servers, Rsync.net or S3 cloud accounts
out of the box, there are also some “special remotes” [1] we can use
with git-annex but only git-annex-remote-hubic has been packaged for
Guix (I used the Hubic remote some time ago and it worked well)

have a look to the Assistant screencast to get an idea:
https://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/

[1] https://git-annex.branchable.com/special_remotes/

...maybe not so “user friendly” as Nextcloud but definitely much more
powerful, decentralized and flexible (location tracking of my
distributed archives is a _great_ feature)

HTH! Gio’

[...]

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Way to synchronize files like Dropbox
@ 2019-04-13  5:42 ` Meiyo Peng
From: Meiyo Peng @ 2019-04-13  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Mazurkiewicz; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Adam,

Adam Mazurkiewicz writes:

> What is the way to synchronize files with a remote storage like
> Dropbox? I work in several places and I need to get the same document
> files in these places. On Debian I was using just Dropbox. I need a
> free solution from Guixsd.

I strongly suggest you to try syncthing!  It's fantastic!

#+begin_quote
  Syncthing is a free, open-source peer-to-peer file synchronization application
  available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Solaris, Darwin, and BSD. It can
  sync files between devices on a local network, or between remote devices over
  the Internet. Data security and data safety are built into the design of the
  software.
                                                                -- Wikipedia
#+end_quote

Rclone is another option.  It can be used as a client for many online
storage providers (including Dropbox), but it cannot be run as a daemon
and cannot monitor file system events.  So I don't like it.

You should not run non free software on your computer.  But if you have
to use Dropbox for whatever reason, there is actually a way to run
Dropbox on Guix.

Disclaimer: I don't run Dropbox on my computer now.  This is a generic
method to run binary-distributed dynamically-linked foreign apps on
Guix.  THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY THE GUIX
MAINTAINERS TEAM.  YOU SHALL FIX ANY BUGS BY YOURSELF WHILE DOING SO.

Instructions for running Dropbox on Guix system x86_64:

0. Pray with me.

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
  Forgive me Stallman for I have sinned.
#+END_QUOTE

1. Download Dropbox for Linux from https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux.

   #+begin_src sh
     # Download and install the dropbox package
     cd ~ && wget -O - "https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64" | tar xzf -

     # Download the command line script
     wget -O dropbox.py "https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py"
   #+end_src

2. Make sure /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 points to
   /gnu/store/*-glibc-*/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2.

   You can achieve this by installing the glibc package into system
   profile and symlink "/lib64" to "/run/current-system/profile/lib"

3. Install these packages into your profile:

   #+begin_src scheme
     (define dropbox-dependencies
       (map (compose list specification->package+output)
            '("fontconfig"
              "freetype"
              "gcc:lib"
              "libice"
              "libsm"
              "libxcomposite"
              "libxkbcommon"
              "libxml2"
              "libxmu"
              "libxrender"
              "libxslt"
              "mesa"
              "python")))
   #+end_src

   I get this list by `ldd .dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.*/*`.  Please add
   extra dependencies into it if this list is incomplete.  The python
   package is for the command line script.

4. Write a wrapper script to start Dropbox.

   Set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable so that foreign apps can
   find and load their dependencies.  Only set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in this
   script and do not export LD_LIBRARY_PATH from your shell because you
   may break things.

   script: dropbox-wrapper
   #+begin_src sh
     #!/bin/sh

     export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/run/current-system/profile/lib"
     export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

     python3 path/to/dropbox.py "$@"
   #+end_src

5. Run the wrapper script.

   #+begin_src sh
     dropbox-wrapper start
   #+end_src

AGAIN: YOU SHOULD NOT RUN NON FREE SOFTWARE ON YOU COMPUTER.  YOU SHOULD
ONLY DO THIS WHEN SOMEONE POINTS A GUN ON YOUR HEAD AND FORCES YOU DO
IT.

--
Meiyo Peng
https://www.pengmeiyu.com/

* Re: Way to synchronize files like Dropbox
@ 2019-04-16 20:33   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2019-04-16 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meiyo Peng; +Cc: help-guix

Please do not post instructions for installing nonfree software on
official Guix project forums.

     Thanks,
       Mark

@ 2019-04-17  1:05     ` Meiyo Peng
From: Meiyo Peng @ 2019-04-17  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Mark,

Mark H Weaver writes:

> Please do not post instructions for installing nonfree software on
> official Guix project forums.
>
>      Thanks,
>        Mark

OK.  Won't do that again.  Sorry for the disturbance.

--
Meiyo Peng
https://www.pengmeiyu.com/

* Re: Way to synchronize files like Dropbox
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-04-17  1:29 ` Benjamin Slade
From: Benjamin Slade @ 2019-04-17  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I would also recommend syncthing. I use it to synchronize files between
several computers (including a GuixSD one) as well as mobile.

--
Benjamin Slade - https://babbagefiles.xyz
  `(pgp_fp: ,(21BA 2AE1 28F6 DF36 110A 0E9C A320 BBE8 2B52 EE19))

* Re: Way to synchronize files like Dropbox
@ 2019-04-17  9:14   ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2019-04-17  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Syncthing is good too. I also use rsync, SFTP, or torrents with no trackers/publishers. The last one needs an unchanged copy of the files being synchronized. SFTP will work friendlier if the file broeser/explorer integrates with a copy of GVFS which has SSH SFTP enabled.

Em 16 de abril de 2019 22:29:21 BRT, Benjamin Slade <beoram@gmail.com> escreveu:
>I would also recommend syncthing. I use it to synchronize files between
>several computers (including a GuixSD one) as well as mobile.

--
- Página com formas de contato:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#vCard
- Ativista do software livre (não confundir com o gratuito). Avaliador
  da liberdade de software e de sites.
- Página com lista de contribuições:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Contribs
- Para uso em escritórios e trabalhos, favor enviar arquivos do padrão
  internacional OpenDocument/ODF 1.2 (ISO/IEC 26300-1:2015 e
  correlatos). São os .odt/.ods/.odp/odg. O LibreOffice é a suíte de
  escritório recomendada para editar tais arquivos.
- Para outros formatos de arquivos, veja:
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Arquivos
- Gosta do meu trabalho? Contrate-me ou doe algo para mim!
  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno#Suporte
- Use comunicações sociais federadas padronizadas, onde o "social"
  permanece independente do fornecedor. #DeleteWhatsApp. Use #XMPP
  (https://libreplanet.org/wiki/XMPP.pt), #DeleteFacebook
  #DeleteInstagram #DeleteTwitter #DeleteYouTube. Use #ActivityPub via
  #Mastodon (https://joinmastodon.org/).
- #DeleteNetflix #CancelNetflix. Evite #DRM:
  https://www.defectivebydesign.org/

* Re: Way to synchronize files like Dropbox
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-04-17 15:24 ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2019-04-17 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Mazurkiewicz; +Cc: help-guix

Adam Mazurkiewicz writes:

> What is the way to synchronize files with a remote storage like
> Dropbox? I work in several places and I need to get the same document
> files in these places. On Debian I was using just Dropbox. I need a
> free solution from Guixsd.

I recommend git-annex with git-annex assistant.  However, I don't
remember if all the git-annex tools have been made available in GuixSD;
I seem to remember some of the dependencies weren't made available yet.