all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Clojure & Maven Resolver packages
@ 2022-09-03 15:38 Roman Scherer
From: Roman Scherer @ 2022-09-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix,

I would like to enable the S3 transporter for the Clojure package. For
this I need version 1.8.2 of the Maven Resolver packages. Right now we
have version 1.6.3 packaged in Guix.

Should I update the existing packages to 1.8.2 or create new package
variants with a 1.8 prefix for this?

Right now I have the variants, but I was wondering what the best
approach would be.

Thanks, Roman.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Clojure & Maven Resolver packages
@ 2022-09-03 17:16 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-09-03 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Scherer, guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 897 bytes --]

On 03-09-2022 17:38, Roman Scherer wrote:

> Hello Guix,
>
> I would like to enable the S3 transporter for the Clojure package. For
> this I need version 1.8.2 of the Maven Resolver packages. Right now we
> have version 1.6.3 packaged in Guix.

AFAIK, you don't need to.  IIUC, the patch series at
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53765> adds it.

> Should I update the existing packages to 1.8.2 or create new package
> variants with a 1.8 prefix for this?
>
> Right now I have the variants, but I was wondering what the best
> approach would be.
>
> Thanks, Roman.

I recommend using something else than Amazon S3 -- Amazon is known for a
number on unethical practices. E.g., after searching for 'Amazon ethical
practices', I found
<https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/05/amazon-workers-protest-unsafe-grueling-conditions-warehouse>.

Greetings,
Maxime.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: Clojure & Maven Resolver packages
@ 2022-09-03 17:25 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-09-03 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Scherer, guix-devel

You could try updating maven resolver, but that means you will also have to rebuild all its dependents and make sure they don't break.

Maven stuff are a bit fragile under Guix because we can't build them as intended. There's a chicken-and-egg problem with maven, its dependencies and its plugins. So we can only use a rudimentary build system that breaks easily with updates.

If you decide to try and update that package, it would be much welcome and if you have any issues or questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask for help!

@ 2022-09-03 19:09   ` Roman Scherer
From: Roman Scherer @ 2022-09-03 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Maxime,

thanks for that link. I just read that thread. I should have asked
earlier, or searched the bug tracker :)

I did basically the same as Reily did, so I guess there's no need to
submit my patches.

Regarding the AOT compilation issues, I believe some of them are solved
by the recent patch that changes the timestamps of the class file to be
greater than the Clojure source files.

I had to patch out some tests as well, but not that many.

Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On 03-09-2022 17:38, Roman Scherer wrote:
>
>> Hello Guix,
>>
>> I would like to enable the S3 transporter for the Clojure package. For
>> this I need version 1.8.2 of the Maven Resolver packages. Right now we
>> have version 1.6.3 packaged in Guix.
>
> AFAIK, you don't need to.  IIUC, the patch series at
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53765> adds it.
>
>> Should I update the existing packages to 1.8.2 or create new package
>> variants with a 1.8 prefix for this?
>>
>> Right now I have the variants, but I was wondering what the best
>> approach would be.
>>
>> Thanks, Roman.
>
> I recommend using something else than Amazon S3 -- Amazon is known for
> a number on unethical practices. E.g., after searching for 'Amazon
> ethical practices', I found
> <https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/feb/05/amazon-workers-protest-unsafe-grueling-conditions-warehouse>.

Yeah, that's not something I can change. I need the S3 transporter to
access the private Maven repository of the company I am working for.

I guess I continue installing Clojure by using the official bash script
installer.

@ 2022-09-03 19:17   ` Roman Scherer
From: Roman Scherer @ 2022-09-03 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel