all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Stuck patch 64345
@ 2023-09-22 11:12 nigko
From: nigko @ 2023-09-22 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Almost three months ago I sent a patch https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64345
introducing a package reduce-csl, a computer algebra system Reduce
similar to Maxima. It was successfully built on major architectures and
acquired a 'green' status, waiting for a review. But then some dramatic
changes happened on https://qa.guix.gnu.org/ and my patch went to a
'gray' zone. Recently a massage with the content
Unable to apply patches

Applying: gnu: Add reduce-csl.
Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
M	gnu/packages/maths.scm
Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
Auto-merging gnu/packages/maths.scm
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in gnu/packages/maths.scm
error: Failed to merge in the changes.
hint: Use 'git am --show-current-patch=diff' to see the failed patch
Patch failed at 0001 gnu: Add reduce-csl.
When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --continue".
If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".
has appeared on https://qa.guix.gnu.org/issue/64345

As far as I understand the reason for this behavior is that since I sent
the patch the content of the gnu/packages/maths.scm was modified by
another patch(es) and now git is unable to apply my old patch onto new
commits automatically. What am I supposed to do to promote my stuck
patch? Should I resend it anew?

Regards,
N Y

* Re: Stuck patch 64345
@ 2023-09-22 18:03 ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-09-22 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nigko, guix-devel

Hi nigko,

On Fri, Sep 22 2023, nigko wrote:

> As far as I understand the reason for this behavior is that since I sent
> the patch the content of the gnu/packages/maths.scm was modified by
> another patch(es) and now git is unable to apply my old patch onto new

Yes! It's probably your copyright line at the top.

> What am I supposed to do to promote my stuck
> patch?

Please rebase your patch onto the current 'master' branch from Savannah.

> Should I resend it anew?

Just amend your existing bug. Please also tag your submission with '-v2'
as explained here. [1]

Thank you for your valuable contribution to Guix!

Kind regards
Felix

[1]
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Sending-a-Patch-Series.html#Single-Patches-1