all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Guix unmounted my /home, while -i hello
@ 2016-03-07 10:21 guix
From: guix @ 2016-03-07 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

Problem: during installation of -i hello package, my /home was
unmounted. I have no solution more to test Guix on Debian GNU/Linux and
I am seeking one, to later change to Guix, free GNU operating system.

Information:

While researching Guix, guile based package manager and GuixSD, I have stumbled upon this link:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27281429/does-guile-have-a-package-manager/28028212#28028212

and there is a reference to this link:
http://dustycloud.org/blog/guix-package-manager-without-make-install/

My environment is like this:

- Debian GNU/Linux Jessie
- iceWM window manager
- zsh as shell I use usually, but first time this happened on bash
- first time I used bash

My system is mounted as LUKS on /home:

$ mount |grep mapper
/dev/mapper/protected on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

otherwise, there is also normal /home/admin directory, when computer is
turned of without encryption. In that manner, it becomes harder to
understand that /home is encrypted.

With encrypted partition under /home, I have this symbolic link if it
means anything:

ls -l /home/
total 36
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root     15 Apr 12  2014 admin -> data1/protected
drwxr-xr-x  5 root  root   4096 Jan 27  2012 data1

I have installed Guix as specified on the last link above in the
directory: /home/data1/protected/Programming/GNU

All commands specified I have run correctly, as on the link.

The last few commands were:

sudo ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guix-builder

And I left it in separate terminal window. I could see that user admin
connected to it, later.

After that, I have run the command:

./pre-inst-env guix package -i hello

and it started installing packages. Many many, I was thinking it works
nice. During one package (under bash, if it means anything), which I
cannot remember which one, I have seen that basically, I could not open
new terminal, I could not copy/paste with mouse anymore, my windows were
open, mutt was open, but I could not read email anymore, tmp was
missing, basically complete system broker apparently.

I could make "cd", but then I could see all my important files were
missing. Here is the list of standard directories in my
/home/data1/protected:

Active
Apps
bin
Choices
Desktop
Documents
downloads
Downloads
iMacros
install-letsencrypt
lib
Maildir
Music
Pictures
Programming
public_html
Templates
tmp
Videos
Work

BUT that is not what I could see, I could see the standard directories,
like Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Templates -- something like that.

I guess I was seeing my directories when /dev/mapper/protected was not
mounted. The standard ones.

I cannot understand how system could unmount my /home

Because I was unable to run new programs, or make screenshots, the only
thing I could do is make a pastebin.com and write it down.

Here it is, the last what happened:
http://pastebin.com/HvnTP8PY

One can see:
error: executing `/home/data1/protected/Programming/GNU/guix/nix/scripts/substitute': No such file or directory

That is because just before that, the system unmounted /home somehow.

because:

ls -l /home/data1/protected/Programming/GNU/guix/nix/scripts/substitute
-rwxr-xr-x 1 admin admin 254 Mar  7 08:32 /home/data1/protected/Programming/GNU/guix/nix/scripts/substitute

I am also showing what I could copy, on that pastebin, like daemon
running. But I run it before I started -i hello

It also shows that no /dev/mapper is mounted

But it shall look like this rather:

/dev/mapper/protected 845953752 454552936 348405736  57% /home

and not like /dev/sda7 -- that is empty, with those directories inside.

I wish that it is discovered what happened, as for me, with /home being
mounted, I cannot test guix, not in the manner as specified.

Jean Louis

* Re: Guix unmounted my /home, while -i hello
@ 2016-03-07 19:44 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2016-03-07 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, Mar 07, 2016 at 11:21:04AM +0100, guix@rcdrun.com wrote:
> Problem: during installation of -i hello package, my /home was
> unmounted. I have no solution more to test Guix on Debian GNU/Linux and
> I am seeking one, to later change to Guix, free GNU operating system.

This is difficult to understand, I have not heard about a similar problem
before. Once all your partitions are correctly mounted on Debian, the
Guix package manager normally does not touch any of them.

Could you simply try again?

Andreas

* Re: Guix unmounted my /home, while -i hello
@ 2016-03-07 22:39   ` Louis
From: Louis @ 2016-03-07 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Andreas,

Yes, I have tried it again, and it happened again, on the
second time I have sent a bug. It looks to me dangerous to
try it third time.

I have seen in Guix manual, for system user options, how
such users would be restored regardless if adduser changes,
upon system boot.

That is much similar to what happened.

My cryptsetup partition is not mounted by system. I mount it by
hand, as root, then I log in as user, and get new /home

My guess is that during guix package installation, something
is happening that is mounting my system distributions, by
default.

Let me make a summary to understand it:

- I boot into lightdm
- my /home is on /dev/sda7
- mount not LUKS but simple cryptsetup partition
- it is mounted as /home from /dev/sda8
- I enter as use
- I proceed to use -i hello for example
- suddenly the package downloading and processing stops
- first time it stopped at one point of software processing,
- second time at other point, that I have shown you on pastebin
- at that point guix installation of -i hello breaks
- everything breaks
- my /home is visible only on /dev/sda7 as originaly
- /dev/mapper/protected is still there
- I cannot log out normally,
- but as root from console: /etc/init.d/lightdm restart
- mount again /dev/mapper/protected /home
- I can use it

@ 2016-03-08  1:59     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2016-03-08  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis; +Cc: help-guix

Louis <guix@rcdrun.com> writes:

> Yes, I have tried it again, and it happened again, on the
> second time I have sent a bug. It looks to me dangerous to
> try it third time.

I have only one idea what could cause something like this.

Did you add any users to the 'guix-builder' group other than the users
dedicated for that purpose?  If so, that's a problem.

guix-daemon considers all of the users in that group to be exclusively
for its use.  When asked to build something, it chooses a user from that
group to do the build, and then after the build it *kills* all processes
owned by that user.

Every once in a while, someone decides to add their normal user account
to that group, and discovers that after every build guix-daemon kills
all of their user processes.  If you added more users to that group,
perhaps guix-daemon is killing some process that causes your encrypted
/home to become unmounted?

       Mark

* Re: Guix unmounted my /home, while -i hello
@ 2016-03-08  7:10       ` Louis
From: Louis @ 2016-03-08  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Mark,

Thank you for hint, I don't think I have added anyone else
but these:

/etc/group:

guix-builder:x:1002:guix-builder1,guix-builder2,guix-builder3,guix-builder4,guix-builder5,guix-builder6,guix-builder7,guix-builder8,guix-builder9,guix-builder10

And when something is mounted there is no process keeping it
I guess. Thank you, I still need to search for solution.

@ 2016-03-08 18:27     ` guix
From: guix @ 2016-03-08 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Here is update on debugging of guix:

- logs are here:
https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix

my username is JeanLouis

Here is strace from daemon and dmesg:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxcAA5bVg6IUUDUtZVk0bE1tOVE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxcAA5bVg6IUVFY5VHdMVmZkcE0/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxcAA5bVg6IUd1N5Q3ViT2tLbVk/view?usp=sharing

when booting, system mounts /dev/sda7 -> /home

I login as root, I mount cryptsetup partition:
/dev/sda8 -> /dev/mapper/protected -> /home

I guess that guix -i hello or daemon -- is re-mounting
partitions, or maybe mounting /home from system on the top
of the system.

I am on Debian GNU/Linux, testing Guix and its package
manager, in order to switch to free GNU operating system.

If anybody can help debug this or change behavior, because
by this behavior, if user is mounted, cannot use guix, on
third system, like Debian, basically it does not work on my
cryptsetup mounted partition.

@ 2016-03-09 15:41       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-09 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix; +Cc: help-guix

guix@rcdrun.com skribis:

> Here is strace from daemon and dmesg:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxcAA5bVg6IUUDUtZVk0bE1tOVE/view?usp=sharing
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxcAA5bVg6IUVFY5VHdMVmZkcE0/view?usp=sharing
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxcAA5bVg6IUd1N5Q3ViT2tLbVk/view?usp=sharing

Could you send them as attachments (compressed files), or, if they’re
too big, post them on a web site that does not require running non-free
JavaScript and is more likely to respect user privacy?

Thanks in advance!
Ludo’.

* Re: Guix unmounted my /home, while -i hello
@ 2016-03-09 17:01         ` Louis
From: Louis @ 2016-03-09 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Ludovic,

You are right, sure, it was the only option on chat, to
quickly place it somewhere, as the /home was unmounted, so I
have lost all operation, passwords, etc. temporarily, and
did not replace it with better download option.

So here it is:

This is the daemon process initially, it has nothing inside:
https://rcdrun.com/files/depository/guix/guixLOG/9992.log.gz

This is the actual daemon strace, it has 39M:
https://rcdrun.com/files/depository/guix/guixLOG/9993.log.gz

This is dmesg, 72K:
https://rcdrun.com/files/depository/guix/guixLOG/dmesg.log.gz

I am just guessing that problem is here below on the before
the last line: /home: my guess is that guix somehow
re-mounts all partitions that it finds in the system.

And my encrypted (cryptsetup, not LUKS) partition is on
/dev/sda8 which is not specified in /etc anywhere. I am
mounting it by hand, as root, first. I don't want for
privacy that partition is specified in /etc or automatically
mounted by asking me for password.

What is specified in /etc/fstab is this:
https://rcdrun.com/files/depository/guix/guixLOG/fstab

And my /home is initially simply on /dev/sda7 I guess. It is
mounted basically as such, because I see it in the output of
mount:

$ mount|grep sda7
/dev/sda7 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

however, when I enter root, I am mounting then:
/dev/mapper/protected -> /home on top of it, so that is also
visible in mount command:

mount|grep mapper
/dev/mapper/protected on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

By order it is like this:

/dev/sda7 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda5 on /tmp type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/118 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=395376k,mode=700,uid=118,gid=126)
tmpfs on /run/user/0 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=395376k,mode=700)
/dev/mapper/protected on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

maybe that is the catch, it finds /home and maybe it
re-mounts? and forgets about the other /home?

I will try again by first unmounting the /home from sda7,
mounting it on /dev/mapper/protected and re-run it.

However, I think, this should never happen, that my actual
/home is unmounted by guix daemon.

Maybe that is the catch? It recognizes
[pid 10712] umount("real-root", MNT_DETACH) = 0
[pid 10721] open("/proc/self/mountinfo", O_RDONLY) = 17
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/dev", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/dev/pts", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/dev/shm", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/dev/mqueue", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/dev/hugepages", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/run", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/run/lock", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/run/user/118", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/run/user/0", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/run/user/1001", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/kernel/security", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/memory", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/devices", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/cgroup/pids", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/pstore", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/fs/fuse/connections", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/sys/kernel/debug", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/proc", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/etc/machine-id", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/home", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0
[pid 10721] mount(NULL, "/tmp", NULL, MS_PRIVATE, NULL) = 0

@ 2016-03-09 18:13           ` guix
From: guix @ 2016-03-09 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Ludovic,

I have now done following:

- entered as root, after reboot
- /dev/sda7 was mounted as /home
- instead of mounting /dev/mapper/protected on /home
- first I have unmounted /home
- and then mounted /dev/mapper/protected on /home
- and run: ./pre-inst-env guix package -i hello, with success

My personal problem is solved. But there is problem in the
daemon or guix, that it unmounted user's partition, and that
should never happen on stable system.

Jean Louis

@ 2016-03-10 16:29             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-10 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix; +Cc: help-guix

guix@rcdrun.com skribis:

> My personal problem is solved.

Great!

> But there is problem in the daemon or guix, that it unmounted user's
> partition, and that should never happen on stable system.

Sorry, I still fail to understand what happened.  Let us know if that
shows up again.

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix unmounted my /home, while -i hello
@ 2016-03-10 16:36               ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2016-03-10 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Ludo,

It will certainly happen again. I have solved it for myself, but it may
happen to somebody in future by same manner.

@ 2016-03-11 13:34                 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-11 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: help-guix

Jean Louis <guix@rcdrun.com> skribis:

> It will certainly happen again. I have solved it for myself, but it may
> happen to somebody in future by same manner.

May or may not: AFAIK we’ve never had any similar report before.

Ludo’.

* Andreas, here is kind question to provide facts on your statements about RMS
@ 2019-10-09  6:26   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2019-10-09  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel, help-guix, bug-guix

From:
Mr. Jean Louis
Nagpur, India
Day 3 of week 41 of 2019

Hello there,

I have seen your signature here:
https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/joint-statement-on-the-gnu-project/

My opinion on your signing of that defamatory, harassing, biased and
fact-less statement is here:
https://gnu.support/richard-stallman/Ludovic-Court%C3%A8s-Guix-is-accusing-Stallman-of-Thoughtcrime-on-his-own-domain-GNU-org.html

Hereby I would like to ask you:

- why are you publishing such hatred on GNU.ORG domain? Why don't you
  publish it on your own personal domain? RMS is not doing that to
  GNU. You are doing it together with others. I find it grossly
  inappropriate!

- which facts do you consider that can support your statement "that
  Stallman’s behavior over the years has undermined a core value of
  the GNU project: the empowerment of all computer users. GNU is not
  fulfilling its mission when the behavior of its leader alienates a
  large part of those we want to reach out to."?

It would be nice of you, if you could send me your opinion in as fast
manner as you have given a signature to Ludovic Courtès to publish it
on GUIX.GNU.ORG

I am entitling you to your opinion. I could not care less what people
write about each other, whatever rumours or facts would be. I don't
mind.

But I do not approve on publishing that on GUIX website or GNU.ORG
website. Neither I approve of publishing such statements without
commenting possibility.

That is why I am asking you to speak out your mind now. I will publish
your opinion or lack of opinion. I will publish facts you provide me
or lack of those facts.

You have contact form on my opposing view:
https://gnu.support/richard-stallman/Ludovic-Court%C3%A8s-Guix-is-accusing-Stallman-of-Thoughtcrime-on-his-own-domain-GNU-org.html
and you can test me if I will publish your comments or not.

But give me facts that support your statement!

Ludovic Courtès is forbidding comments on his personal blog which he
is mixing with GUIX project on GNU.ORG website.

So what is your opinion? What are the facts?

Jean