all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installing a package using guile script
@ 2019-05-06 14:13 Reza Alizadeh Majd
From: Reza Alizadeh Majd @ 2019-05-06 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

Just wanted to now if there is any programming interface available for Guix in order to
install a packages with a Guile script ?

I actually want to install packages for a specific user, after `guix system reconfigure ... `
command. my plan was to add a simple Guile script after `operating-system` definition
in my system configuration file, to add packages to user's profile.

the easiest way is to just run a shell script for to do that for me, but I'm curious that if there
is any more programmatic solution for that?

Regards,
Reza

* Re: Installing a package using guile script
@ 2019-05-15 20:56 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-05-15 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Alizadeh Majd; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

"Reza Alizadeh Majd" <r.majd@pantherx.org> skribis:

> Just wanted to now if there is any programming interface available for Guix in order to
> install a packages with a Guile script ?
>
> I actually want to install packages for a specific user, after `guix system reconfigure ... `
> command. my plan was to add a simple Guile script after `operating-system` definition
> in my system configuration file, to add packages to user's profile.
>
> the easiest way is to just run a shell script for to do that for me, but I'm curious that if there
> is any more programmatic solution for that?

Every ‘guix’ command has at least a corresponding procedure.  So ‘guix
package’ matches precisely the ‘guix-package’ procedure of (guix scripts
package).

When this is too CLI-ish, you can use more Schemey APIs.  For instance,
‘guix package’ relies on things in (guix scripts) and (guix profiles).

As for your specific use case, I would argue that you could implement it
as a service.  The service would take a list of user/manifest pairs as
its configuration and simply have an activation snippet that installs
the user profiles.  That would be a useful feature to have.

HTH!

Ludo’.