all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installation questions.
@ 2014-03-21 11:06 Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2014-03-21 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello all,

I have followed installation procedure and created users for
guix-builder. Started guix-daemon.

While trying to install hello package I had few problems, but managed to
go further, thanks to the error message emitting from guix-deamon.

At first I had to create /gnu/store folder
  then, changing permissions/group for /gnu/store folder. (This was suggested by
  error message itself. Nice )
  then, there had to create /dev/kvm folder.

So the question is why did I have to these manually?  is it some thing to do
with how I installed the guix.?

Finally I installed hello package using `guix package -i hello'. Took around
more than two hours. is it legit?

Further, If try another package say `guix package -i autoconf'. It is trying
to installing whole lot of dependencies AGAIN. am I doing some thing wrong here.

Finally, I run above commands as root, now if switch back and try to install
as normal user, it seems guix doesn't reuse dependencies installed by root
user. is it intended.?

ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.
YYR

* Re: Installation questions.
@ 2014-03-21 14:02 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-03-21 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: guix-devel

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> skribis:

> I have followed installation procedure and created users for
> guix-builder. Started guix-daemon.
>
> While trying to install hello package I had few problems, but managed to
> go further, thanks to the error message emitting from guix-deamon.

Great.

> At first I had to create /gnu/store folder
>   then, changing permissions/group for /gnu/store folder. (This was suggested by
>   error message itself. Nice )
>   then, there had to create /dev/kvm folder.
>
> So the question is why did I have to these manually?  is it some thing to do
> with how I installed the guix.?

No, everything works as expected.  The /dev/kvm thing is an annoyance
that was introduced just a couple of days ago, and we’re working on
fixing that, as you may have seen.

> Finally I installed hello package using `guix package -i hello'. Took around
> more than two hours. is it legit?

Yes.  Apparently you’ve been building from source.

Guix can build from source, or download pre-built binaries, known as
“substitutes” (see
<http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Features>.)

On x86_64-linux and i686-linux, it’s possible to get pre-built binaries
from hydra.gnu.org, with the caveat that currently these binaries cannot
be authenticated.

> Further, If try another package say `guix package -i autoconf'. It is trying
> to installing whole lot of dependencies AGAIN. am I doing some thing wrong here.

Nothing wrong.  It just happens to be building from source.

> Finally, I run above commands as root, now if switch back and try to install
> as normal user, it seems guix doesn't reuse dependencies installed by root
> user. is it intended.?

Everything that’s built is kept in /gnu/store, unless you run ‘guix gc’.
See <http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/#documentation>.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.