all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ‘core-updates’ building!
@ 2017-06-18  9:49 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-06-18  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

I went ahead and started an evaluation of the full package set for
‘core-updates’:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/core-updates

I think we should focus on fixing remaining build issues now.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: ‘core-updates’ building!
@ 2017-06-18 16:07 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-06-18 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:49:06AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> I went ahead and started an evaluation of the full package set for
> ‘core-updates’:
>
>   https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/core-updates
>
> I think we should focus on fixing remaining build issues now.

Okay! I won't be able to help as much as usual in the next week.
Hopefully afterwards, I'll have more time.

Good luck!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ‘core-updates’ building!
@ 2017-06-19  2:09 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2017-06-19  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I went ahead and started an evaluation of the full package set for
> ‘core-updates’:
>
>   https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/core-updates
>
> I think we should focus on fixing remaining build issues now.

Almost(?) all of the builds on armhf failed because of an early
guile-2.2.2 build timing out after 1 hour of silence.

I set the 'max-silent-time' property to 6 hours in the package bound to
'guile-2.2' in (gnu packages guile), but maybe the same property needs
to be set elsewhere, e.g. in 'guile-2.2/fixed' and maybe some other
places?

       Mark

* Re: ‘core-updates’ building!
@ 2017-06-19  2:57   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2017-06-19  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> I went ahead and started an evaluation of the full package set for
>> ‘core-updates’:
>>
>>   https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/core-updates
>>
>> I think we should focus on fixing remaining build issues now.
>
> Almost(?) all of the builds on armhf failed because of an early
> guile-2.2.2 build timing out after 1 hour of silence.
>
> I set the 'max-silent-time' property to 6 hours in the package bound to
> 'guile-2.2' in (gnu packages guile), but maybe the same property needs
> to be set elsewhere, e.g. in 'guile-2.2/fixed' and maybe some other
> places?

For now, in order to get the ball rolling, I started a manual build
(i.e. from the command line) of the timed-out derivation on Hydra,
with the --max-silent-time and --timeout options.  After that's
completed, we can restart the dependency-failed jobs.

      Mark

* Re: ‘core-updates’ building!
@ 2017-06-19 12:03   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-06-19 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> I went ahead and started an evaluation of the full package set for
>> ‘core-updates’:
>>
>>   https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/core-updates
>>
>> I think we should focus on fixing remaining build issues now.
>
> Almost(?) all of the builds on armhf failed because of an early
> guile-2.2.2 build timing out after 1 hour of silence.
>
> I set the 'max-silent-time' property to 6 hours in the package bound to
> 'guile-2.2' in (gnu packages guile), but maybe the same property needs
> to be set elsewhere, e.g. in 'guile-2.2/fixed' and maybe some other
> places?

‘guile-2.2/fixed’ is just an alias, so that shouldn’t be necessary.

Could it be that there was a cached build failure for Guile 2.2 on ARM?

Thanks for the heads-up!

Ludo’.

* Re: ‘core-updates’ building!
@ 2017-06-19 16:52     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2017-06-19 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:
>
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>>
>>> I went ahead and started an evaluation of the full package set for
>>> ‘core-updates’:
>>>
>>>   https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/core-updates
>>>
>>> I think we should focus on fixing remaining build issues now.
>>
>> Almost(?) all of the builds on armhf failed because of an early
>> guile-2.2.2 build timing out after 1 hour of silence.
>>
>> I set the 'max-silent-time' property to 6 hours in the package bound to
>> 'guile-2.2' in (gnu packages guile), but maybe the same property needs
>> to be set elsewhere, e.g. in 'guile-2.2/fixed' and maybe some other
>> places?
>
> ‘guile-2.2/fixed’ is just an alias, so that shouldn’t be necessary.
>
> Could it be that there was a cached build failure for Guile 2.2 on ARM?

Well, it's an alias that overrides the 'properties' field to be
'((hidden? . #t)).

Also, when I built it from the command line on Hydra, I found that
--max-silent-time=21600 (6 hours) is apparently not long enough.  It
timed out after 6 hours of silence:

  CCLD     guile
  GEN      guile-procedures.texi
make[3]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-guile-2.2.2.drv-0/guile-2.2.2/libguile'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-guile-2.2.2.drv-0/guile-2.2.2/libguile'
Making all in bootstrap
make[2]: Entering directory '/tmp/guix-build-guile-2.2.2.drv-0/guile-2.2.2/bootstrap'
  BOOTSTRAP GUILEC ice-9/eval.go
wrote `ice-9/eval.go'
  BOOTSTRAP GUILEC ice-9/psyntax-pp.go
  BOOTSTRAP GUILEC language/cps/intmap.go
  BOOTSTRAP GUILEC language/cps/utils.go
  BOOTSTRAP GUILEC language/cps/intset.go
building of `/gnu/store/2gqf0cy35yxpg3hhycj6s2ih66vgd7wn-guile-2.2.2.drv' timed out after 21600 seconds of silence
@ build-failed /gnu/store/2gqf0cy35yxpg3hhycj6s2ih66vgd7wn-guile-2.2.2.drv - timeout
derivation '/gnu/store/2gqf0cy35yxpg3hhycj6s2ih66vgd7wn-guile-2.2.2.drv' offloaded to 'hydra-slave1.netris.org' failed: build of `/gnu/store/2gqf0cy35yxpg3hhycj6s2ih66vgd7wn-guile-2.2.2.drv' failed

Some deprecated features have been used.  Set the environment
variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
program to get more information.  Set it to "no" to suppress
this message.
@ build-failed /gnu/store/2gqf0cy35yxpg3hhycj6s2ih66vgd7wn-guile-2.2.2.drv - 1 builder for `/gnu/store/2gqf0cy35yxpg3hhycj6s2ih66vgd7wn-guile-2.2.2.drv' failed with exit code 100
guix build: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/2gqf0cy35yxpg3hhycj6s2ih66vgd7wn-guile-2.2.2.drv' failed
hydra@20121227-hydra:~$

I'll try again with --max-silent-time=36000 (10 hours).

       Mark