all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Claws Mail LDAP support
@ 2019-03-21  8:49 Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2019-03-21  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Hello—

I would like to have LDAP support in Claws Mail.  Right now I am
missing the LDAP menu entry under the Book menu in the Address Book.
Though I'm short on time right now, I found copying e-mail addresses
from old e-mail becoming a bit too anoying, so I did a throw at
modifying the package to enable LDAP.

I just added (inputs ("openldap" ,openldap)).  No idea if that should
work.  I put this in a file claws-mail.scm, together with a
(use-modules ...).  I entered this command:

    guix package --install-from-file=claws-mail.scm

That doesn't do anything.  Does (inputs ...) only specify dependencies,
and actually doesn't change Guix' state (when openldap is already
installed)?

Long story short: can LDAP be enabled in Claws Mail?

—Marco

* Re: Claws Mail LDAP support
@ 2019-03-21  9:21 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-21  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: Help Guix

Marco van Hulten <marco@hulten.org> writes:

> I just added (inputs ("openldap" ,openldap)).  No idea if that should
> work.

This will only add openldap to the build environment.  You need to look
at the build system of Claws to see how to convince it to build LDAP
support.

Maybe it is not even part of Claws itself, but a separate plugin?  Only
a look at the Claws developer documentation or the build system code
will give you the answer.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Claws Mail LDAP support
@ 2019-03-21 14:10   ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2019-03-21 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi Marco,

I've no time now to test it myself but...

> Marco van Hulten <marco@hulten.org> writes:
>
>> I just added (inputs ("openldap" ,openldap)).  No idea if that should
>> work.
>
> This will only add openldap to the build environment.  You need to look
> at the build system of Claws to see how to convince it to build LDAP
> support.

the Claws INSTALL file [1] states:

Options for configure script
============================
For list of available options, refer to "./configure --help".

Most options are automatically enabled if the dependencies
are matched.

maybe "most" means "--enable-ldap" should be added to #:configure-flags

can you try this, Marco?

> Maybe it is not even part of Claws itself, but a separate plugin?

it seems part of the main Claws application

[...]

HTH!
Gio

[1] https://git.claws-mail.org/?p=claws.git;a=blob_plain;f=INSTALL;hb=HEAD

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Claws Mail LDAP support
@ 2019-03-21 15:38     ` Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2019-03-21 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo; +Cc: Help Guix

Giovanni et al.—

On 21 Mar 15:10 Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> the Claws INSTALL file [1] states:

> Options for configure script
> ============================
> For list of available options, refer to "./configure --help".
>
> Most options are automatically enabled if the dependencies
> are matched.
>
> maybe "most" means "--enable-ldap" should be added to #:configure-flags
>
> can you try this, Marco?

Yes, I added it and then ran

    guix package --install-from-file=claws-mail.scm

But that does not do anything.

Should I not expect Guix to rebuild the package when the
#:configure-flags is changed compared to the already installed package?

Here is the full content of claws-mail.scm:

http://paste.debian.net/1074097/

—Marco

* Re: Claws Mail LDAP support
@ 2019-03-21 21:14       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-21 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi Marco,

> Yes, I added it and then ran
>
>     guix package --install-from-file=claws-mail.scm
>
> But that does not do anything.

That’s because the file does not evaluate to a package.  It only causes
the definition of a variable, but does not return any value.

Add “claws-mail” to the bottom after the package definition to see the
difference.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Claws Mail LDAP support
@ 2019-03-22  8:30         ` Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2019-03-22  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Help Guix

Ricardo—

On 21 Mar 22:14 Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > Yes, I added it and then ran
> >
> >     guix package --install-from-file=claws-mail.scm
> >
> > But that does not do anything.
>
> That’s because the file does not evaluate to a package.  It only causes
> the definition of a variable, but does not return any value.
>
> Add “claws-mail” to the bottom after the package definition to see the
> difference.

Thanks, it builds.

It makes sense now.  In Scheme the (define ...) and similar just define
stuff; called a "special form" as opposed to normal expressions like (+
1 2).  (I started reading SICP.)  And in "claws-mail" the
#:configure-flags evaluates just that, as defined earlier on with a
(define-public claws-mail ...).

And you know what, adding "--enable-ldap" to the #:configure-flags
works as well!  In the address book, there is a new menu entry New LDAP
Server.  Should this be added to the standard claws-mail entry?  Or
should there be an -ldap flavour, akin to OpenBSD's pkg_* where the
user is prompted to install the standard or -ldap or -minimal or
whichever flavour?  Or should this be left as an exercise to the user?

—Marco

* Re: Claws Mail LDAP support
@ 2019-03-22  9:27           ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-22  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi Marco,

> And you know what, adding "--enable-ldap" to the #:configure-flags
> works as well!  In the address book, there is a new menu entry New LDAP
> Server.

Nice!

> Should this be added to the standard claws-mail entry?  Or
> should there be an -ldap flavour, akin to OpenBSD's pkg_* where the
> user is prompted to install the standard or -ldap or -minimal or
> whichever flavour?  Or should this be left as an exercise to the user?

Could you please submit a patch that changes the existing “claws-mail”
package?  I don’t see a reason to build two variants of Claws.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Claws Mail LDAP support
@ 2019-03-22 10:06             ` Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2019-03-22 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Help Guix

Ricardo—

On 22 Mar 10:27 Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > And you know what, adding "--enable-ldap" to the #:configure-flags
> > works as well!  In the address book, there is a new menu entry New LDAP
> > Server.
>
> Nice!
>
> > Should this be added to the standard claws-mail entry?  Or
> > should there be an -ldap flavour, akin to OpenBSD's pkg_* where the
> > user is prompted to install the standard or -ldap or -minimal or
> > whichever flavour?  Or should this be left as an exercise to the user?
>
> Could you please submit a patch that changes the existing “claws-mail”
> package?  I don’t see a reason to build two variants of Claws.

I've sent a patch to guix-devel@.  I found out about 'git
format-patch'.  I hope that's the way to go.

—Marco

* Re: Claws Mail LDAP support
@ 2019-03-22 11:32               ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-22 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: Help Guix

Marco van Hulten <marco@hulten.org> writes:

>> > Should this be added to the standard claws-mail entry?  Or
>> > should there be an -ldap flavour, akin to OpenBSD's pkg_* where the
>> > user is prompted to install the standard or -ldap or -minimal or
>> > whichever flavour?  Or should this be left as an exercise to the user?
>>
>> Could you please submit a patch that changes the existing “claws-mail”
>> package?  I don’t see a reason to build two variants of Claws.
>
> I've sent a patch to guix-devel@.  I found out about 'git
> format-patch'.  I hope that's the way to go.

Excellent, I’ll take a look.

Using “git format-patch” is a good idea.

In the future please send patches to guix-patches@gnu.org as it is
backed by our bug tracker, which makes it somewhat less likely that
patches are lost.

--
Ricardo