all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* FOSDEM is coming!
@ 2019-11-23 14:21 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-11-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hello Guix!

FOSDEM is coming, friends!  We have very few days left to submit talks
in developer rooms.  The following tracks seem to be relevant to us:

  • Minimalist languages:
    <https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2019q4/002916.html>
    (deadline: Nov. 26th).

  • HPC:
    <https://hpc-bigdata-fosdem20.github.io/>
    (deadline: Nov. 29th)

  • Containers:
    <https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2019q4/002888.html>
    (deadline: Nov. 29th)

  • Dependency management:
    <https://www.fasten-project.eu/view/Events/FOSDEM_DevRoom_Call_For_Presentations?u=sNMbKejjLY2y5ia>
    (deadline: Dec. 4th)

  • Testing & automation:
    <https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2019q4/002897.html>
    (deadline: Dec. 10th)

  • Distributions:
    <https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/fosdem/2019q4/002936.html>
    (deadline: Dec. 1st)

And there are more: security, Rust, etc.; see
<https://fosdem.org/2020/news/2019-10-01-accepted-developer-rooms/>.

Full disclosure: I’ve submitted a talk on Guix-Jupyter in the HPC track,
as well as a general Guix “main track” talk (chances are low for this
one, but it’d be nice!).

It’d be nice if you could present what you’ve been doing in or around
Guix there, particularly in tracks that would allow us to reach out to
people we don’t usually get to talk to.  There’s been a lot of work on a
variety of hot topics: bootstrapping (Mes & co., Rust, etc.), Guix Home,
Guix Data Service, ‘guix deploy’, GWL, Guix on ARM, etc. let’s talk
about it!

I also think we ought to be in the minimalist languages track and in the
distro track, and it’s even better if it’s not the same person as usual.
:-)

Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM is coming!
@ 2019-11-23 16:12 ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2019-11-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey Ludo,

> It’d be nice if you could present what you’ve been doing in or around
> Guix there, particularly in tracks that would allow us to reach out to
> people we don’t usually get to talk to.  There’s been a lot of work on a
> variety of hot topics: bootstrapping (Mes & co., Rust, etc.), Guix Home,
> Guix Data Service, ‘guix deploy’, GWL, Guix on ARM, etc. let’s talk
> about it!

I submited a talk to minimalistic devroom titled: "GNU Guix as an
alternative to the Yocto Project". Maybe the distributions devroom would
have been more appropriate.

The point of this talk is to compare the process of creating a small
root filesystem on Guix and Yocto for an embedded device (Pine A64
LTS).

Mathieu

* Re: FOSDEM is coming!
@ 2019-11-23 17:29 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2019-11-23 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

I've been working on using 'guix system container' to deploy services on
non-Guix systems and I've been thinking of preparing a talk and sending
it off to the distribution room.

I think it would be interesting to give a talk to the rust people about
my experiences trying to package rust in Guix but I'm not sure how
receptive they'd be.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: FOSDEM is coming!
@ 2019-11-24  7:59   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-11-24  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 05:12:00PM +0100, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:

> Hey Ludo,
>
> > It’d be nice if you could present what you’ve been doing in or around
> > Guix there, particularly in tracks that would allow us to reach out to
> > people we don’t usually get to talk to.  There’s been a lot of work on a
> > variety of hot topics: bootstrapping (Mes & co., Rust, etc.), Guix Home,
> > Guix Data Service, ‘guix deploy’, GWL, Guix on ARM, etc. let’s talk
> > about it!
>
> I submited a talk to minimalistic devroom titled: "GNU Guix as an
> alternative to the Yocto Project". Maybe the distributions devroom would
> have been more appropriate.
>
> The point of this talk is to compare the process of creating a small
> root filesystem on Guix and Yocto for an embedded device (Pine A64
> LTS).

Hi Mathieu,

You can submit to both devrooms. As a coordinator of the minimalistic
devroom I think your talk fits. Mind, it still needs to go through the
review of the devroom to get selected. But yes, Guix represents
minimalism to me even though we still need to work to make it really
suitable for embedded systems (like routers).

Pj.

* Re: FOSDEM is coming!
@ 2019-11-24  8:04   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2019-11-24  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 07:29:27PM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> I've been working on using 'guix system container' to deploy services on
> non-Guix systems and I've been thinking of preparing a talk and sending
> it off to the distribution room.

Or the container room? Or the HPC room? Just submit, you never know.

> I think it would be interesting to give a talk to the rust people about
> my experiences trying to package rust in Guix but I'm not sure how
> receptive they'd be.

Not very, I suspect, until we come with a solution that solves *their*
problems. The popularity of Rust is something of an enigma to me. This
is not the place to give a Rust rant, but I do think that packaging
needs to happen at the distribution level, rather than at the language
level. Most modern languages go down that route - it is not great.

Pj.

* Re: FOSDEM is coming!
@ 2019-11-26 10:08   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-11-26 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> I've been working on using 'guix system container' to deploy services on
> non-Guix systems and I've been thinking of preparing a talk and sending
> it off to the distribution room.
>
> I think it would be interesting to give a talk to the rust people about
> my experiences trying to package rust in Guix but I'm not sure how
> receptive they'd be.

Both topics look very relevant and would allow us to get feedback from
people in the field, so that sounds good!

Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM is coming!
@ 2019-11-26 10:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-11-26 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

Mathieu Othacehe <m.othacehe@gmail.com> skribis:

> I submited a talk to minimalistic devroom titled: "GNU Guix as an
> alternative to the Yocto Project". Maybe the distributions devroom would
> have been more appropriate.
>
> The point of this talk is to compare the process of creating a small
> root filesystem on Guix and Yocto for an embedded device (Pine A64
> LTS).

Really cool!  Talking in the distro or some embedded devroom may allow
you to reach out to people not yet familiar with Guix, which is nice,
but like Pjotr says, you can probably submit the talk to more than one
devroom and people will coordinate.

Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM is coming!
@ 2019-11-26 10:27     ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2019-11-26 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey Ludo and Pjotr,

> Really cool!  Talking in the distro or some embedded devroom may allow
> you to reach out to people not yet familiar with Guix, which is nice,
> but like Pjotr says, you can probably submit the talk to more than one
> devroom and people will coordinate.

Thank you! Yes I did submit the talk to both devrooms :)

Mathieu