all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* adawaita theme in Gnome
@ 2017-02-24  9:25 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-02-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

So, our skillful thomasd solved an issue I had raised.

In the Gnome desktop, when dragging an application toward the folating bar
on the left, the whole desktop environment crashes, it restarts and you
have to log on again.

The problem is a missing mouse cursor, as stated here
https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-02-23#T1301986

And the proposed workaround works like a charm.

For reference, it is
1) "mkdir -p ~/.icons/default"
2) "ln -s /run/current-system/profile/share/icons/Adwaita/cursors/
~/.icons/default/cursors"

What could be a definitive solution to patch the Gnome package with ?

* Re: adawaita theme in Gnome
@ 2017-03-02 13:14 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-03-02 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> So, our skillful thomasd solved an issue I had raised.
>
> In the Gnome desktop, when dragging an application toward the folating bar
> on the left, the whole desktop environment crashes, it restarts and you
> have to log on again.
>
> The problem is a missing mouse cursor, as stated here
> https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-02-23#T1301986
>
> And the proposed workaround works like a charm.
>
> For reference, it is
> 1) "mkdir -p ~/.icons/default"
> 2) "ln -s /run/current-system/profile/share/icons/Adwaita/cursors/
> ~/.icons/default/cursors"
>
> What could be a definitive solution to patch the Gnome package with ?

We cannot (and don’t want to) let Guix packages modify the user’s home
directory.  On my system XDG_DATA_DIRS contains
“/run/current-system/profile/share”.  Is this not enough to let Gnome
find the cursors?

(The “adwaita-icon-theme” package is installed in my system profile.)

~~ Ricardo

* Re: adawaita theme in Gnome
@ 2017-03-02 14:19   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-03-02 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

> Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So, our skillful thomasd solved an issue I had raised.
> >
> > In the Gnome desktop, when dragging an application toward the folating
> bar
> > on the left, the whole desktop environment crashes, it restarts and you
> > have to log on again.
> >
> > The problem is a missing mouse cursor, as stated here
> > https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-02-23#T1301986
> >
> > And the proposed workaround works like a charm.
> >
> > For reference, it is
> > 1) "mkdir -p ~/.icons/default"
> > 2) "ln -s /run/current-system/profile/share/icons/Adwaita/cursors/
> > ~/.icons/default/cursors"
> >
> > What could be a definitive solution to patch the Gnome package with ?
>
> We cannot (and don’t want to) let Guix packages modify the user’s home
> directory.  On my system XDG_DATA_DIRS contains
> “/run/current-system/profile/share”.

On my system too. 2 times. Like this

/run/current-system/profile/share:
/home/my-user/.guix-profile/share:
/run/current-system/profile/share

these are the last 3 values

> Is this not enough to let Gnome
> find the cursors?

It's not. I just tried again. It crashes

> (The “adwaita-icon-theme” package is installed in my system profile.)

The first time I had not that installed in my profile. And the crash was
immediate.

With that installed, it stumbles, it crashes at the second attempt

> ~~ Ricardo

thanks for looking into this, Ricardo

* Re: adawaita theme in Gnome
@ 2017-03-06  0:47     ` Chris Marusich