all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Julia version update
@ 2023-09-26  4:00 Mauritz Stenek
From: Mauritz Stenek @ 2023-09-26  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

The latest guix julia package is version v1.8.3, any idea when
will it be updated to the latest version (i.e. v1.9.3)?

Thanks.

--
Mauritz Stenek <mstenek@disroot.org>

* Re: Julia version update
@ 2023-09-30 16:07 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-09-30 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauritz Stenek, help-guix

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 at 22:00, Mauritz Stenek <mstenek@disroot.org> wrote:

> The latest guix julia package is version v1.8.3, any idea when
> will it be updated to the latest version (i.e. v1.9.3)?

Thanks for your interest.  Sadly, no we do not have an idea for the next
Julia update – that’s some work. :-)

Would you like to collaborate and being part of the effort for such
update?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Julia version update
@ 2023-10-17 16:58   ` Mauritz Stenek
From: Mauritz Stenek @ 2023-10-17 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: help-guix

On 2023-09-30 at 10:07, Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 at 22:00, Mauritz Stenek
> <mstenek@disroot.org> wrote:
>
>> The latest guix julia package is version v1.8.3, any idea when
>> will it be updated to the latest version (i.e. v1.9.3)?
>
> Thanks for your interest.  Sadly, no we do not have an idea for
> the next
> Julia update – that’s some work. :-)
>
> Would you like to collaborate and being part of the effort for
> such
> update?

Conceptually, yes: I would love to collaborate. Realistically
though, I don't know enough of guile and compiling in general to
commit.

I would like to collaborate in general to Guix, but I found it
very difficult. I actually tried defining some personal packages
that I'm using in a project and I seem to have "cheated" by using
the `copy-build-system` -- which seems to be suboptimal.

I love the idea of Guix, but I need to learn lots more of
computing stuff before installing it as a full system. For now,
I'll stick to just the package manager for my emacs config and
start building from there.

--

@ 2023-10-18 11:31     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-10-18 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauritz Stenek; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 at 10:58, Mauritz Stenek <mstenek@disroot.org> wrote:

> I would like to collaborate in general to Guix, but I found it
> very difficult. I actually tried defining some personal packages
> that I'm using in a project and I seem to have "cheated" by using
> the `copy-build-system` -- which seems to be suboptimal.
>
> I love the idea of Guix, but I need to learn lots more of
> computing stuff before installing it as a full system. For now,
> I'll stick to just the package manager for my emacs config and
> start building from there.

You do not need to install Guix System as your main driver to start
learning or contributing, IMHO.  Well, it depends what you would like to
learn or contribute.  :-)

From my point of view, the best for starting is to not be shy; nothing
is perfect.  There is a team named “mentor“ which can help.

Cheers,
simon